Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The "Eggcrate" Display  (Read 22838 times)

dzinkin

The "Eggcrate" Display
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2007, 05:54:38 PM »
Mr. Schex (aka Ron Kitts) informs me that he will be going back to the GSN boards. Anyone else who believes that accuracy is not relevant, or who professes to be an expert based on a source he admits he can't verify, would be wise to consider this move as well.

We don't expect perfection; people are going to make mistakes, and your moderators are not excluded.  But I don't think that an honest effort is too much to ask.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The "Eggcrate" Display
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2007, 06:03:24 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'148924\' date=\'Mar 23 2007, 02:54 PM\']
Mr. Schex (aka Ron Kitts)
[/quote]
That was an adult? Amazing.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
The "Eggcrate" Display
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2007, 06:29:04 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'148924\' date=\'Mar 23 2007, 02:54 PM\']Mr. Schex (aka Ron Kitts) [/quote]That was a pseudonym? I thought the guy just really, really liked cereal. That he's using a pen name to write tells me volumes.

Looking at the profile, I really need to buckle down and get back to writing; because if that guy can make money by stealing the style of great writers of the past, I could make more than enough money so that I could leave the Family Business forever, because apparently book buyers will now purchase anything on the shelves. I thought vivid descriptions and convoluted plots were the norm, not something to aspire to.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

The "Eggcrate" Display
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2007, 06:55:37 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'148927\' date=\'Mar 23 2007, 06:29 PM\']Looking at the profile, I really need to buckle down and get back to writing; because if that guy can make money by stealing the style of great writers of the past, I could make more than enough money so that I could leave the Family Business forever, because apparently book buyers will now purchase anything on the shelves. [/quote]
Author House is a self-publishing company, meaning that in all likelihood, HE paid THEM to get his book in print, and chances are very strong that he wrote that glowing profile of himself...uh...himself.

Understand that I mean no disrespect to members who are self-published.  I'm proud to say that I own a copy of this.

Also, I'm forty-six years old, and I can tell you that there are NO adults on game show message boards.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 07:04:08 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

The "Eggcrate" Display
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2007, 07:24:02 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'148927\' date=\'Mar 23 2007, 03:29 PM\']
That was a pseudonym? I thought the guy just really, really liked cereal. That he's using a pen name to write tells me volumes.
[/quote]
I'll point out that Mark Twain was a pseudonym, too.

That said, and similarly with no disrespect to Chuck, what Matt said. Pretty much anyone with enough scratch can get published by one of those places.

/which reminds me, I need to start shopping 101 Gazpacho Recipes around again...

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
The "Eggcrate" Display
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2007, 11:28:40 AM »
The problem we have is when you and your buddies make up names and terms and then try to pass them off as "official" just because you've decided to call yourself an expert about the subject.

The question I have (because I am almost totally clueless about this subject) is simply this: WHO calls it the "Modified Sports" type? Because it doesn't Google, and if it's just you and a couple of other fans with free time and a webpage, then you're just making stuff up.
Matt has hit the nail squarely on the head. A guy who lives in Fanb0i Fantasyland creates a web page with a bunch of made-up or patently erroneous information, and it seeps into the knowledge base of Game Show Fanb0i Lore. Wikipedia is rife with this kind of thing. Just this morning I almost completely rewrote the Wikipedia article on Johnny Olson for this very reason.

Is my disdain for fanb0iz showing?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 12:03:12 PM by chris319 »

dzinkin

The "Eggcrate" Display
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2007, 01:48:55 PM »
Wikipedia may be rife with this stuff, but even the morons who moderate Wikipedia don't set out to have members post falsehoods.  By comparison, the GSN board -- where Mr. Kitts brags that he's allowed to post without any problems -- openly encourages it.  Several members of our board have been disciplined over there merely for correcting falsehood-laden posts, even when the corrections were offered politely.  And one of the moderators publicly declared that if a member disagreed with something that someone else had posted, the officially approved response was "don't answer at all."  Which explains why such public pronouncements as Mr. Kitts's eggcrate posts, the Game Show Almanacs, and Why Scrabble is the Best Game Show Ever and GSN Pays Fremantle to Keep the Reruns Off the Air Just to Spite Fans, are welcome over there.

clemon79

The "Eggcrate" Display
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2007, 02:23:04 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'148943\' date=\'Mar 24 2007, 08:28 AM\']
Is my disdain for fanb0iz showing?
[/quote]
Welcome to the club. We'll have Jeeves by to take your drink and cigar order shortly.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
The "Eggcrate" Display
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2007, 05:29:06 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'148945\' date=\'Mar 24 2007, 12:48 PM\']
Which explains why such public pronouncements as Mr. Kitts's eggcrate posts, the Game Show Almanacs, and Why Scrabble is the Best Game Show Ever and GSN Pays Fremantle to Keep the Reruns Off the Air Just to Spite Fans, are welcome over there.
[/quote]
Wait a minute.  You mean SCRABBLE isn't the best game show ever?

How disillusioning.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 05:29:22 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
The "Eggcrate" Display
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2007, 07:08:54 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'148964\' date=\'Mar 24 2007, 02:29 PM\']Wait a minute.  You mean SCRABBLE isn't the best game show ever?

How disillusioning.[/quote]I had it at number ten, so I did my bit. :)
Travis L. Eberle

Sodboy13

The "Eggcrate" Display
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2007, 07:33:46 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'148964\' date=\'Mar 24 2007, 04:29 PM\']

How disillusioning.
[/quote]

I thought it was placed at a close third behind "Classic Concentration" and "Sale of the Century," both of which, along with Scrabble, are deliberately being kept off the air because those who hold the rights hate game show fans.

At least that's what I read on them there inner nets.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

dzinkin

The "Eggcrate" Display
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2007, 08:04:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'148969\' date=\'Mar 24 2007, 07:33 PM\']

How disillusioning.
[/quote]
I thought it was placed at a close third behind "Classic Concentration" and "Sale of the Century," both of which, along with Scrabble, are deliberately being kept off the air because those who hold the rights hate game show fans.

[/quote]
You only think you're kidding.  Although he was primarily obsessed with Scrabble, the same guy did in fact make the same claim about $ale.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 08:04:58 PM by dzinkin »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
The "Eggcrate" Display
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2007, 08:26:32 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'148971\' date=\'Mar 24 2007, 07:04 PM\']
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'148969\' date=\'Mar 24 2007, 07:33 PM\']

How disillusioning.
[/quote]

[/quote]
You only think you're kidding.  Although he was primarily obsessed with Scrabble, the same guy did in fact make the same claim about $ale.
[/quote]
If I'm thinking of the same guy, you're both wrong.  The tapes are destroyed because reruns haven't been on the air since 1995!!!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 08:26:41 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Robert Hutchinson

The "Eggcrate" Display
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2007, 10:33:24 PM »
NBC killed Classic Concentration, they killed Twenty One, and they WILL kill Deal or No Deal! NBC puts game shows on the schedule solely for the purpose of cancelling them!

You people? Can't handle the truth.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Matt Ottinger

The "Eggcrate" Display
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2007, 11:49:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'148979\' date=\'Mar 24 2007, 10:33 PM\']
You people? Can't handle the truth.[/quote]
Didn't NBC cancel that too?  After getting Alex to host for a while?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.