Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The "Eggcrate" Display  (Read 22860 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
The "Eggcrate" Display
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2007, 12:13:50 AM »
You'll be surprised to find what all falls under the same category, in this series of more reliable posts (i.e. industry terminology, not fans creating names and pompously calling themselves "right") from ATGS.

May 4, 2002
March 11, 1998
March 20, 1998

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

irismason42

The "Eggcrate" Display
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2007, 12:24:26 AM »
I don't believe the Quiz Kids Challenge has ever used the eggcrate font, the only time QKC ever used the eggcrate font was besides the photo seen on EoTVGS, it was used on the sold pilot the eggcrate font was never used in the series, but Wheel 2000, the children's version of Wheel of Fortune used the eggcrate font though as well did the Fun House unaired pilot as I recall.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 12:26:27 AM by irismason42 »

BrandonFG

The "Eggcrate" Display
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2007, 12:37:30 AM »
[quote name=\'irismason42\' post=\'148860\' date=\'Mar 23 2007, 12:24 AM\']
[T]he Fun House unaired pilot as I recall.
[/quote]
And so did the actual series.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

RJSchex

The "Eggcrate" Display
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2007, 12:42:24 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'148856\' date=\'Mar 22 2007, 09:07 PM\']
[quote name=\'RJSchex\' post=\'148836\' date=\'Mar 22 2007, 04:48 PM\']In later installations of this series, I will be covering it, and all other known styles.  Look at the link in WhammyPower's reply.[/quote]A series? There's going to be more of this?

Is there any actual nomenclature to this sort of thing that is official, or are these all different flavors of light boards? I suppose some industry professionals would bother to differentiate by size and type of bulb, but I'm incredulous that there are names such as "Bank," "Sports" and so on.
[/quote]

Oh, yes.  Future posts will include pages on "Solari Board" (the ones that flip like clock-radio displays of the 70's), "Sports" (so called because it looks very similar to displays used at sporting venues, such as NBA shot clocks), the "Modified Sports/Go" style (popular mostly during the late 60's and early 70's), and even some not mentioned on the DFG page (most notably the "Apple IIe" font)

Most of my information, of course, comes from the aforementioned DFG; the names all appear to be unofficial.  Only if we can track down and get a hold of the original manufacturers will we know the "official" names.

RJSchex

The "Eggcrate" Display
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2007, 12:51:25 AM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'148857\' date=\'Mar 22 2007, 09:12 PM\']
Should the list also include "Temptation" with Art James?
[/quote]

Included already.  Listed at the bottom of the original post, under "Early version", alongside the 1969 "Joker's Wild" pilot.  On this version, the "3" is slightly (but noticeably) different; the center spur is one dot shorter.

It should be noted that "Temptation" actually used *3* different display types at the same time:

*the early "Eggcrate" (described here), used on the player podiums indicating their prize selection
*"Modified Sports/Go" (used for the prize values beneath each prize's onstage showcase)
*Solari Board (players' winnings during game, on top of podiums)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The "Eggcrate" Display
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2007, 01:06:06 AM »
[/quote][quote name=\'RJSchex\' post=\'148777\' date=\'Mar 21 2007, 11:54 PM\']
Temptation (67-68)   prize selection
[/quote]
A pity you cannot read.

/just like friggin' Furbys.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dzinkin

The "Eggcrate" Display
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2007, 06:42:45 AM »
[quote name=\'RJSchex\' post=\'148862\' date=\'Mar 23 2007, 12:42 AM\']
Oh, yes.  Future posts will include pages on "Solari Board" (the ones that flip like clock-radio displays of the 70's)....
[/quote]
Not on this board, they won't.

Most of my information, of course, comes from the aforementioned DFG; the names all appear to be unofficial.  Only if we can track down and get a hold of the original manufacturers will we know the "official" names.
You admit that your information probably isn't even correct, and yet you're planning more such posts?

Since you aren't taking the hints that others have been dropping, let me be more blunt: the guy who runs the H-Q group you've been promoting has had his posting privileges severely restricted because he kept making official-sounding pronouncements without regard to accuracy.  We can and will restrict you in the same manner if necessary if you keep violating this rule from our Eligibility Requirements:

Posting inaccurate information with deliberate disregard for the credibility of the source of such information will also be considered grounds for disciplinary action.

In short, if you know it's probably not correct, don't post it.

(Apologies to everyone else for sounding repetitive after the fraziergorge stunt, but it really ticks me off when people are dishonest or at least, shall we say, carefree about getting things right.)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 06:46:07 AM by dzinkin »

rebelwrest

The "Eggcrate" Display
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2007, 09:39:06 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'148867\' date=\'Mar 23 2007, 01:06 AM\']
[/quote][quote name=\'RJSchex\' post=\'148777\' date=\'Mar 21 2007, 11:54 PM\']
Temptation (67-68)   prize selection
[/quote]
A pity you cannot read.

/just like friggin' Furbys.
[/quote]

Whoopsie, sorry.
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

RJSchex

The "Eggcrate" Display
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2007, 02:47:11 PM »
"Unofficial" does NOT mean "false" or "wrong".

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
The "Eggcrate" Display
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2007, 03:51:51 PM »
[quote name=\'RJSchex\' post=\'148898\' date=\'Mar 23 2007, 01:47 PM\']
[/quote]
If you can find proof to back up the information you posted, more power to you...but 1) I can tell you didn't learn much from the High Rollers incident and 2)I suspect you can't.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 03:59:23 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

dzinkin

The "Eggcrate" Display
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2007, 03:52:37 PM »
[quote name=\'RJSchex\' post=\'148898\' date=\'Mar 23 2007, 02:47 PM\']
[/quote]
Not by definition, no, but it does mean "not official," and for a series meant to be authoritative -- as yours clearly is -- there's no significant difference.  I remind you again:

Posting inaccurate information with deliberate disregard for the credibility of the source of such information will also be considered grounds for disciplinary action.
Please use the correct terms, or save the unofficial-and-way-too-often-wrong pronouncements for the Yahoo groups.

Matt Ottinger

The "Eggcrate" Display
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2007, 04:02:50 PM »
[quote name=\'RJSchex\' post=\'148898\' date=\'Mar 23 2007, 02:47 PM\']
"Unofficial" does NOT mean "false" or "wrong".[/quote]
OK guys, let me try.

The problem we have is when you and your buddies make up names and terms and then try to pass them off as "official" just because you've decided to call yourself an expert about the subject.  When you say something like:
That one was completely different. That one is called the "Modified Sports" type
...then you're telling one of our members that he doesn't know what he's talking about, and (more importantly) that you do.  The question I have (because I am almost totally clueless about this subject) is simply this:  WHO calls it the "Modified Sports" type?  Because it doesn't Google, and if it's just you and a couple of other fans with free time and a webpage, then you're just making stuff up.  And to call someone else wrong here because he doesn't happen to use the same terms you do is a fast-track way to not being able to post here anymore.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

The "Eggcrate" Display
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2007, 05:35:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'148902\' date=\'Mar 23 2007, 01:02 PM\']
The question I have (because I am almost totally clueless about this subject) is simply this:  WHO calls it the "Modified Sports" type?
[/quote]
Ryan Bugaj, on this site. And while there are some neat elements there (I've found the font package he put together to be pretty useful in my lockout / scorekeeping program that I haven't touched in forever), he is no more of an authority on the subject than you or I. And therein lies the problem, since the OP is effectively elevating him to that level, and then copping a 'tude when he's informed that he's incorrect in doing so.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
The "Eggcrate" Display
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2007, 05:43:47 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'148914\' date=\'Mar 23 2007, 04:35 PM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'148902\' date=\'Mar 23 2007, 01:02 PM\']
The question I have (because I am almost totally clueless about this subject) is simply this:  WHO calls it the "Modified Sports" type?
[/quote]
Ryan Bugaj, on this site.
[/quote]
Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but I don't see where Ryan calls it the "Modified Sports" type either.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

The "Eggcrate" Display
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2007, 05:45:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'148917\' date=\'Mar 23 2007, 02:43 PM\']
Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but I don't see where Ryan calls it the "Modified Sports" type either.
[/quote]
Good point. I thought he did. Making the OP look that much sillier.

/why am I reminded of Hiphats spouting off as an authority on all things TPiR?