Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Earliest Game Show Memory...  (Read 24551 times)

irismason42

Earliest Game Show Memory...
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2007, 11:11:27 PM »
I too remembered watching TJW when it was in reruns on USA but one of my earlier game show memory was watching Top Card with Jim Caldwell and Supermarket Sweep from the early seasons back when they had a gorilla appearing the $5K bonus round.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #91 on: March 28, 2007, 11:44:23 PM »
[quote name=\'irismason42\' post=\'149157\' date=\'Mar 28 2007, 11:11 PM\']
I too remembered watching TJW when it was in reruns on USA but one of my earlier game show memory was watching Top Card with Jim Caldwell and Supermarket Sweep from the early seasons back when they had a gorilla appearing the $5K bonus round.
[/quote]

Oh, my head...
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

tpirfan28

« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2007, 06:18:01 PM »
[quote name=\'irismason42\' post=\'149157\' date=\'Mar 28 2007, 11:11 PM\']
[/quote]
Iris could write for GSN!

/on second thought....
//NO
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Jamey Greek

« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2007, 10:23:46 PM »
I can remember watching J!, and WOF with my parents, and TPIR with my grandmother, and watching USA Game Show reruns and remembering when TTD would come on after PYL.  Combs FF would come on at the same time as J! and I would want to watch FF while Dad wanted to watch J! and at the age of 3 I would throw a fit like a lot of 3 year olds do when I would throw a fit.  I remember watching Couch Potatoes on WESH Channel 2 in Orlando.  Then, months later, see it reran on USA.  I remember yelling out the shows coming up next.  And finally, I remember watching Pictionary '89 in the late afternoon at a babysitter's house.

entguy1

« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2007, 12:18:25 PM »
Mine would be what I just realized a few years ago was "It's Your Bet," which aired in the evening in Kansas City, where my grandmother lived. The rising partition between the players was what I remembered the most -- and that I didn't think that was something I'd seen before. Thanks to pageoclips.com, I remembered what the show was.

Mine would be what I just realized a few years ago was "It's Your Bet," (1970, Tom Kennedy) which aired in the evening in Kansas City, where my grandmother lived. The rising partition between the players was what I remembered the most -- and that I didn't think that was something I'd seen before. Thanks to pageoclips.com, I remembered what the show was.

GameShowGuru

« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2008, 01:02:55 AM »
Hands down, my #1 game show memory was watching The $128,000 Question at the age of 3 or 4 back in 1977.

It had to be my first memory, because I only remembered two things from the show:  

1. It had an isolation booth, and
2. The Viacom V of Doom at the end of the show scared the snot outta me.  

I later found out the show was The $128,000 question by taking those two details and used those to find out the title.

Winkfan

« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2008, 07:34:46 PM »
I may have mentioned this before, but the earliest game show memory of mine was Concentration, but it was when Art James was host.

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

fishbulb

« Reply #97 on: July 15, 2008, 10:52:49 PM »
The earliest thing I can be certain of is Queen for a Day, which my mom must have been a fan of.
The earliest GS I remember wanting to watch was Shenanigans, when I was 5.  I remember having the board game.
I watched a lot of game shows when I was little, and my favorites were Concentration, The Match Game, and You Don't Say.  I guess we were an NBC house.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2008, 05:02:40 AM »
I didn't see this thread when it was posted last year because I had to keep my eyes away from the computer because it was red & I could barely see.  Now that I see again, here's my earliest memory:

It appears to be either 1968 or 1969 but I distinctly remembered hearing the theme of the Gary Moore hosted To Tell The Truth.  That's when I knew I would be a fan of game shows.

The one thing that sticks out for me is whenever the syndie version of Hollywood Squares was on in the 70's, I often had to cover my ears towards the end of the game because the buzzer that sounded nearly scared the hell out of me the first time I heard it.

joker316

« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2008, 01:08:43 PM »
Two of my earliest were Concentration and Password, both of which my mom credits helping me learn to read. I was 3 at the time and was fascinated with the puzzle board with the trilons; and the words popping up from the table in the Lightning Round.

From there, it was Jeopardy!, You Don't Say, The Match Game, TTTT, Eye Guess and many others. Then came Sept 4, 1972...
Survival of the fittest...And besides...it's FUN!!!!  ...Daffy Duck

kenbob_clarker

« Reply #100 on: July 17, 2008, 07:56:40 PM »
The fact that I am a game show freak today roots from the ariel shot of the wheel from the opening of 80's Wheel of Fortune episodes.  From the age of 6 months til I was about 3 years old, every time the show would come on, I'd sit in the floor in front of the TV and just kick my feet when I saw that beautiful, colorful thing spinning.

A few others I enjoyed as a young tot were Press Your Luck (obvoiusly; more pretty colors), Fun House and Double Dare.  Another one that stands out is Jeopardy.  I loved the show so much, that everything I said until I was about 2 1/2 was in the form of a question.
John 3:16.  The best news you'll ever read.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #101 on: July 17, 2008, 08:03:24 PM »
[quote name=\'kenbob_clarker\' post=\'191207\' date=\'Jul 17 2008, 04:56 PM\']
ariel shot[/quote]
http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/3496/me...8468x474qg6.jpg

Approves
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #102 on: July 17, 2008, 08:47:32 PM »
Oddly enough, one of my earliest memories is a game show commercial. It was on Strike It Rich with Warren Hull. The folks at Colgate had just come up with a new song to praise Fab. Warren and an assistant wheeled a large portable blackboard onto the stage and had the audience sing the new lyrics to the tune of "There'll be a Hot Time in the Old Town Tonight"...

Fab washes clean clear through, and deodorizes too
   It's a Fab wash, a Fab wash for you.

The audience was in pretty good voice. It probably scarred me for life, too. I still buy Colgate products whenever I can. That is, whichever ones are left after the shelf hogs at P&G stuff the aisles with 26 versions of Tide :-(
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 09:48:06 PM by The Ol' Guy »

irwinsjournal.com

« Reply #103 on: July 18, 2008, 03:10:18 PM »
Probably: To Tell The Truth and Beat the Clock on New York Channel 11, also Concentration and Art Fleming Jeopardy.

Least favorite early game show memory: Bowling for Dollars, New York Channel 9 version.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 03:10:47 PM by irwinsjournal.com »
George in Ellison Park, NY

irwinsjournal.com