Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Earliest Game Show Memory...  (Read 24601 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Earliest Game Show Memory...
« on: March 16, 2007, 03:41:50 PM »
What is the first game show that you remember watching (or playing, for that matter).

I have a couple that stick out, both from when I was 3.

One was watching Press Your Luck in my parents bedroom (I remember my dad complaining about it, for some reason).

Also when I was 3, my little sister got ill and had to go to the hospital.  I was sent across the street to stay with the neighbors.  In their basement they had the TPiR home game (MB, 1986).  We played it.  I purchased that game from them 14 years later.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

PYLclark86

• The Consolation Prize... to Your Heart <3
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 04:02:38 PM »
I remember watching To Tell the Truth and Tic-Tac Dough from 1990 when I was about 3 years old.
*Indecipherable screaming*

tvmitch

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 04:42:19 PM »
Some of my earliest memories are watching Wheel of Fortune...and I remember seeing Rayburn's Break The Bank while my mom got a haircut from a lady who lived in the next county over. (In retrospect, BtB must have aired on a Baltimore affiliate, because she got all three majors from there and we didn't have them in our county.)

My folks always tell stories of how I would line up calculators and chalkboards to keep progress on my own little scoreboards on the games that were airing. I remember doing this for Pyramid and TPiR mostly.
You should follow me on Twitter

geno57

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 04:58:01 PM »
Pretty sure my earliest memory was the Hugh Downs "Concentration".  I vaguely remember the checkerboard patterned set, and I remember when they changed to the "new" set.

Yup, I go back a ways.  The set changeover probably happened in '61.

Match Game Nut

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 05:17:29 PM »
I don't remember which might've been first, but The Price is Right, $25/$100k Pyramid, Match Game(90) and Classic Concentration all would be up there.

Funny thing about MG90 was, for the longest time I confused it with Hollywood Squares, obviously I didn't pay too much attention to the actual game! I think I mostly watched that show to see Ronn Lucas and Scorch. Ah the days of youth, lol.

HairMetalLives

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 05:53:24 PM »
The first show I remember watching is "Fun House" in 1988; I was three. We had to have gotten cable early the next year because I remember watching all those USA and Nickelodeon game shows.

Good thread.

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 05:58:44 PM »
When I was 2, I went into the hospital, and can remember watching the intro to CBS' "$25,000 Pyramid". This was probably 1985.

I remember playing TPiR from around 1986 or '87. Those were the days. :-)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 06:15:13 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

mcsittel

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 06:14:19 PM »
For me it's "Three on a Match".  First home game: 2nd edition of "Price is Right", soon followed by the 19th edition of Concentration.

cweaver

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 07:45:25 PM »
I can remember the day the flower pot landed on my head and that happened when I was a year and a half old, so obviously I can remember some very early memories.  I can remember seeing The Munsters when it was on the network; my earliest game show memory is Concentration and the Art Fleming  Jeopardy!  I do remember seeing those before I remember seeing The Hollywood Squares, which would've premiered when I was two and a half (and which I also remember watching very early).

chad1m

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 07:53:06 PM »
Being born in 1990, my earliest memory is watching a re-run of Family Double Dare at the age of three while sitting atop a mattress leaned against my wall. Although, there are home videos of me doing game show things even before that, since I'd been interested in them since I had come home from the hospital. As a baby, the Bankrupt sound from Wheel would always appease me and make me giggle. I'd like to think the first letters I learned were R, S, T, L, N and E.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 07:54:19 PM by chad1m »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 07:53:22 PM »
First game show I remember seeing was "On Your Mark," with Sonny Fox from 1961.  I think I was drawn to it because it had kids as contestants.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Allstar87

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 08:20:37 PM »
I remember seeing Scrabble first-run, and TPIR episodes with the really plain-looking license plates on the cars. (The ones that were tan with "T.P.I.R." in big black letters)

There's a lot more I can remember, but those are the earliest.

TimK2003

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 08:52:40 PM »
My earliest recollection was "It Takes Two", with Vin Scully.  I mostly remember the set, but not the gameplay.

aaron sica

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 08:55:23 PM »
First one I ever remember seeing was "Match Game '77" at the age of 2 1/2.  First one I ever remember playing was the home version of "Family Feud" at a friend's house. I had so much fun with it, a few weeks later when Easter 1981 rolled around, I got it as a gift (4th edition).
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 08:55:42 PM by aaron sica »

Scrabbleship

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 08:58:17 PM »
I could bring up the typical mid 80's hits as my earliest memories, which of course they were, but I'll go off the board with two I remembered fairly well that weren't hits: All-Star Blitz and Your Number's Up.

Earliest rerun I remember would have to be when USA reran Cullen's Chain Reaction.