Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Johnny Gilbert on Stu's Show  (Read 3161 times)

Matt Ottinger

Johnny Gilbert on Stu's Show
« on: March 13, 2007, 10:58:04 PM »
See, west coasters, I put your time in the header.

Legendary game show announcer (and somewhat less legendary vocalist) Johnny Gilbert will be Stuart Shostak's guest LIVE on Stu's Show Wednesday at 7pm Eastern.  Naturally a great opportunity to hear lots of great stories about working with everybody from Alex Trebek to Dinah Shore.  They'll also take your questions by phone.  As someone who's heard Johnny say my name aloud, I'll be sure to tune in.

Hey, if I can figure out this internet radio thing, anybody can.

shokusradio.com
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chad1m

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 11:15:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'148054\' date=\'Mar 13 2007, 10:58 PM\'] As someone who's heard Johnny say my name aloud, I'll be sure to tune in.[/quote]

It truly is a really great feeling to hear that.

But, ever since you turned us on to Mr. Greenberg's game show, I've been thoroughly enjoying Shokus Radio, so it looks like I shall make tomorrow my first time to listen to Mr. Shostak's show.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 11:53:41 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'148057\' date=\'Mar 13 2007, 11:15 PM\']But, ever since you turned us on to Mr. Greenberg's game show, I've been thoroughly enjoying Shokus Radio, so it looks like I shall make tomorrow my first time to listen to Mr. Shostak's show.[/quote]
If you've been enjoying Shokus Radio without catching Stu's Show, then you really have been missing out.  Stu's Show is (unsurprisingly) the flagship of the operation, and it is to pop culture what cookie dough ice cream is to desserts. (So rich and full of good stuff that it can't possibly be good for you.)  The guests may not be A-list famous, but who needs famous when you've got great storytellers who were there?

Stu's clued me into the guest list for the next few weeks, and every one of them sounds like a whole lot of fun.  With six gazillion internet radio stations playing 80s rock just like half the broadcast stations on the dial, here's something that's really special and different.  Lots more people should know about it.

TimK2003

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 09:45:13 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'148070\' date=\'Mar 13 2007, 11:53 PM\']
If you've been enjoying Shokus Radio without catching Stu's Show, then you really have been missing out.  Stu's Show is (unsurprisingly) the flagship of the operation, and it is to pop culture what cookie dough ice cream is to desserts. (So rich and full of good stuff that it can't possibly be good for you.)  The guests may not be A-list famous, but who needs famous when you've got great storytellers who were there?
[/quote]

I concur with Matt.  Stu's Show reminds me of the days when Larry King's talk show was only on overnight radio in the 80s.  The great thing is that it's easy to get through on the phone to most, if not all, of his guests.

I have also found myself listening to some of the other shows he does as well.

Don Howard

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 10:26:39 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'148054\' date=\'Mar 13 2007, 10:58 PM\']
As someone who's heard Johnny say my name aloud, I'll be sure to tune in.
[/quote]
He said my name aloud, too. He read it off my name tag at Congrefs V.
I'll miss the live show due a high school basketball announcing commitment, but if one of you calls who doesn't have a question of his own but wants to call anyway, ask him about his talk show in Dayton. I'm just curious how it is he ended up from doing network shows to hosting a TV show here in Ohio. Trivia about that show: When he left it in the mid-1960s, his replacement was Phil Donahue.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 07:07:55 PM »
A reminder that Johnny Gilbert is live on shokusradio.com right now.

WhammyPower

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 08:45:45 PM »
Coming April 4th to Stu's Show... Jack Narz.

LetsGoMets2003

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 09:40:04 PM »
I just talked to Johnny on Stu's show as they were wrapping up some 45 minutes ago, and I answered a very easy trivia question to score an autographed copy of Johnny's CD. In the few seconds I spent with him on (and then off) the air, Johnny was jovial, pleasant, respectful, and just a class act. For those of you who have never heard Mr. Shokus' show (I hadn't until I saw this thread tonight), give it a listen. Who knows, maybe the next time Johnny is on, he'll say YOUR name! What a thrill!!!! Thanks, Stu and Johnny for the early birthday present! (And Matt for starting this topic - otherwise, fate never would have taken it's course.)

James

tomobrien

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 10:12:09 PM »
If you didn't hear the show tonight, definitely try to catch one of the rebroadcasts.  Johnny has a boatload of great stories covering nearly 50 years in the business, and the story about the "Jig Jag" pilot alone is worth tuning in for.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 10:40:12 PM »
I too, answered an easy trivia question and won a CD, and I helped out with another thing Stu and Johnny had a hard time with.

TimK2003

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 11:11:31 PM »
[quote name=\'tomobrien\' post=\'148247\' date=\'Mar 14 2007, 10:12 PM\']
If you didn't hear the show tonight, definitely try to catch one of the rebroadcasts.  Johnny has a boatload of great stories covering nearly 50 years in the business, and the story about the "Jig Jag" pilot alone is worth tuning in for.
[/quote]

The most surprising thing I found out during this week's show is that Don Pardo now lives in Tucson, AZ, and   he flies to NYC when he has to do SNL.

Assuming that NBC is paying for his flights and 1 or 2-nights worth of lodging, that's gotta be close to $1,000  just to have someone come in to do a live 2-minute opening!  That's class!!

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 06:11:07 PM »
Of course, when you expand that to a year's worth of shows, it's "only" about $20,000. I'm sure that's not a completely insignificant fraction of Don's yearly salary, but I don't see it being a terribly hard decision for whoever made it.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

TimK2003

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 06:48:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'148329\' date=\'Mar 15 2007, 06:11 PM\']
Of course, when you expand that to a year's worth of shows, it's "only" about $20,000. I'm sure that's not a completely insignificant fraction of Don's yearly salary, but I don't see it being a terribly hard decision for whoever made it.
[/quote]

I'm not emphasizing the amount spent to fly Don in and out, rather I'm more impressed that Lorne Michaels and/or NBC/U are going all out to keep him doing SNL.  

When Don decided to 'retire' to Arizona, the powers that be at 30 Rock could have easily said "Let him retire, we'll just get a new announcer to take over...", especially during this recent era of cost cutting moves at the Peacock.  I'm just glad they are giving Don Pardo the level of respect he truly deserves!

Kind of similar to flying in Jim Nabors from Hawaii to Indianapolis just to sing (or lip synch?)  "Back Home Again in Indiana" at the start of the Indy 500.  He's past his prime, but it's TRADITION!