Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Family Feud's payout strutcure  (Read 27222 times)

dale_grass

Family Feud's payout strutcure
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2007, 01:59:39 PM »
No, no, no.  You're all headed in the wrong direction.  Combine the idea of a payment structure with the kookiness of Deal or No Deal.  Every time a contestant makes John lean back and raise an eyebrow, it's worth an additional $2/point in Fast Money.  If during the main game a contestant runs up to the board and touches the correct number of their answer before the reveal, that answer's points are doubled.  If a contestant manages to get the audience to do the wave a full 360 degrees, the team wins and the game is over.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2007, 01:59:44 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'147867\' date=\'Mar 12 2007, 10:11 AM\']
It is clear that there is a difference between the people who have put rational thought into changing the prizes, and those who are bouncing up and down in their chairs at the sight of "$100,000."
[/quote]
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'147869\' date=\'Mar 12 2007, 10:35 AM\']
I would like to see the payoff structure changed like this:

But should the family win the game with only the first three rounds, they play Fast Money for $100,000.
[/quote]
My kingdom for the first person who can AudioEdit a WAV of Johnny Gilbert intoning "This....is....IRONY!"

(Extra points to Dale for bringing Teh Funnay.)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 02:01:51 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

hines2000

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2007, 02:08:35 PM »
The only thing I'd like to see changed on the Feud is for the main game to be played for dollars instead of points.  Fast Money is fine the way it is.  The game is more important than a lot of money being given away, and I'd like to see the losing team get a little money even if they don't win the game.

Eric Hines

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2007, 02:49:03 PM »
[quote name=\'dale_grass\' post=\'147874\' date=\'Mar 12 2007, 12:59 PM\']
No, no, no.  You're all headed in the wrong direction.  Combine the idea of a payment structure with the kookiness of Deal or No Deal.  Every time a contestant makes John lean back and raise an eyebrow, it's worth an additional $2/point in Fast Money.  If during the main game a contestant runs up to the board and touches the correct number of their answer before the reveal, that answer's points are doubled.  If a contestant manages to get the audience to do the wave a full 360 degrees, the team wins and the game is over.
[/quote]
If nothing else, it'd make a great drinking game.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

bandit_bobby

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2007, 03:16:35 PM »
I have no idea how deep Debmar-Mercury's budget is. Is it just me, or do you think the top prize will go back to $10,000, because they are just an upstart company?

BrandonFG

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2007, 03:38:19 PM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'147881\' date=\'Mar 12 2007, 03:16 PM\']
I have no idea how deep Debmar-Mercury's budget is. Is it just me, or do you think the top prize will go back to $10,000, because they are just an upstart company?
[/quote]
They're not as upstart as you think, chief. They've been rerunning "South Park" for the last two years, as well as some other shows, and the "Saw" movies and "Crash". Also, they've got Lions Gate Entertainment on their side, so I don't think they'll have a problem.

/Wikipedia is your friend.
//And it's just you.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 03:41:46 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tvwxman

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2007, 05:01:43 PM »
It's so much fun to watch the little kids play with Debmar's money. Here's a little tip : if your audience can't follow what the payout structure is, it's too damn complicated. In business, just like life, use the kiss principle:

Keep It Simple Stupid

That said:
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'147857\' date=\'Mar 12 2007, 11:49 AM\']
$5000 in 1976 is about $18,000 now.
$5000 in 1985 is about $9,300+.
$10,000 in 1988 is only $17,000+. Got that?
[/quote]

Since the $5/point for losing hasn't gone up a dime since it's premiere 30 years ago, I would actually like to see it doubled. Hearing John announce at the end that a family has won a whopping $820 for their losing efforts just doesn't seem worth it.....and considering winning families now get less than their 70s counterparts (because there's no pay in the front game), I'm all for throwing them a bigger consolation prize bone.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

BrandonFG

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2007, 05:39:01 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'147889\' date=\'Mar 12 2007, 05:01 PM\']
Since the $5/point for losing hasn't gone up a dime since it's premiere 30 years ago, I would actually like to see it doubled. Hearing John announce at the end that a family has won a whopping $820 for their losing efforts just doesn't seem worth it.....and considering winning families now get less than their 70s counterparts (because there's no pay in the front game), I'm all for throwing them a bigger consolation prize bone.
[/quote]
I meant to comment on that, but this has been the only upgrade I think could work, esp. if they're upping the top prize. I do agree that $199 a person is a pretty cheesy consolation prize in 2007. $10 shouldn't break the bank, even when a family reaches 199 points, and the math would be so much easier. ;-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

J.R.

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2007, 07:57:56 PM »
Isn't getting the privilege to appear on a game show a big enough prize?

What I love about British game shows is they aren't afraid to offer shows with little or no big prizes while keeping the game engaging and exciting. Contestants grill their brains on "Countdown" for a Teapot, for crying out loud, and it's still an awesome game!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 08:00:16 PM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

dzinkin

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2007, 08:13:01 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' post=\'147903\' date=\'Mar 12 2007, 06:57 PM\']
Isn't getting the privilege to appear on a game show a big enough prize?

What I love about British game shows is they aren't afraid to offer shows with little or no big prizes while keeping the game engaging and exciting. Contestants grill their brains on "Countdown" for a Teapot, for crying out loud, and it's still an awesome game!
[/quote]
I certainly wouldn't criticize those who want more out of a game show appearance than the chance to play, but your larger point is dead on.  Unfortunately I'm not aware of a cure for Mo' Money Syndrome; if there were one, I know several members of this group who would gladly volunteer to forcibly administer the cure to the Bandit and Pat O'Brien's Biggest Fan™, not to mention a few network executives.

J.R.

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2007, 08:25:22 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'147905\' date=\'Mar 12 2007, 07:13 PM\']
I certainly wouldn't criticize those who want more out of a game show appearance than the chance to play, but your larger point is dead on.
[/quote]

Thank you and I wouldn't criticize anyone either for wanting  more either. I'd be kidding myself if I were to say the thought of winning something wasn't a motivation for wanting to get on!

If I got on DoND and was offered $300,000 I certainly would NOT tell Howie, "Well, being on a game show is prize enough, NO DEAL!" :-)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 08:27:24 PM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2007, 08:34:28 PM »
That's a great Noel Edmonds quote, by the way. But I have no problem with shows that offer enough to make it worthwhile for contestants. Jeopardy and WoF upping their minimums so contestants basically have free airfare to the taping is terrific. $10 a point in Fast Money would be inoffensive along these lines, IMO. Didn't "Weakest Link" pay contestant's airfare on one or both of the American runs?

Maybe our posters from across the pond can shed some light on this, but does the size of England and its transportation and everything else about the culture make it negligible to be on a game show? Those contestants taking time off to be on Deal comes to mind - I can't think of anybody in my immediate family who could get enough time off and would be willing to spend the money to travel to a studio for that long. I'd go on a game show with a $500 top prize if it were an hour drive away, but to hell with flying to California, New York or even Minnesota for that.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

tvwxman

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2007, 08:57:38 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'147910\' date=\'Mar 12 2007, 08:34 PM\']
That's a great Noel Edmonds quote, by the way. But I have no problem with shows that offer enough to make it worthwhile for contestants. Jeopardy and WoF upping their minimums so contestants basically have free airfare to the taping is terrific. $10 a point in Fast Money would be inoffensive along these lines, IMO. Didn't "Weakest Link" pay contestant's airfare on one or both of the American runs?
[/quote]
Correct. They paid for the trip, and the hotel. The bar tab was left up to you.

And that's a good point to be made. Wheel and Jep no longer fly out players, which is one of the reasons why they give cash as a parting gift (more than Family Feud gives for a losing trip to Fast Money)

Feud, unless i'm mistaken, doesn't fly in folks, and neither does Lingo or Millionaire. It's the players dime to do the show.

Are the kids on "Are you Smarter Than a 5th Grader" flown in to be contestants, or are they paid in other ways? (It's a joke people.)
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

tomobrien

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2007, 09:22:00 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'147912\' date=\'Mar 12 2007, 07:57 PM\']  Wheel and Jep no longer fly out players, which is one of the reasons why they give cash as a parting gift (more than Family Feud gives for a losing trip to Fast Money)  [/quote]
I'm curious...when did Jeopardy fly contestants in?

trainman

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2007, 11:11:46 PM »
[quote name=\'tomobrien\' post=\'147913\' date=\'Mar 12 2007, 06:22 PM\']I'm curious...when did Jeopardy fly contestants in?
[/quote]

I don't think they ever have, with the exception of the tournaments, or when an out-of-town returning champion carries over to the next taping session.
trainman is a man of trains