Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WoF: Pat Sajak Schtick......  (Read 5578 times)

Luxo1

WoF: Pat Sajak Schtick......
« on: March 09, 2007, 10:17:24 PM »
Has anyone noticed that Pat now does a "little comical routine" right when Charlie is talking about the sponsor of the jackpot round? I think it just started this week....

I think it's quite funny!

---Lux
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 10:17:57 PM by Luxo1 »

xavier45

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 10:23:26 PM »
I believe he has done that for a while now. He began doing it during the "Mystery Round" intro, and now he does it for the "Jackpot round" Intro.

Luxo1

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 10:32:04 PM »
[quote name=\'xavier45\' post=\'147719\' date=\'Mar 9 2007, 11:23 PM\']
I believe he has done that for a while now. He began doing it during the "Mystery Round" intro, and now he does it for the "Jackpot round" Intro.
[/quote]

***Hmmm....never noticed, til this week. The Mystery Round is a rare occurance, isn't it? How does he keep coming up with fresh ideas??

TheLastResort

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 10:46:46 PM »
I don't watch the show, so forgive me...but what in the world are you talking about?  Is he telling jokes over the announcer plugs, or is it some sort of physical thing?

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 12:23:01 AM »
[quote name=\'TheLastResort\' post=\'147721\' date=\'Mar 9 2007, 10:46 PM\']
I don't watch the show, so forgive me...but what in the world are you talking about?  Is he telling jokes over the announcer plugs, or is it some sort of physical thing?
[/quote]
He does a comical routine (silent from out POV), as Charlie announces that the Jackpot/Mystery Round is about to start. As we see a wide shot of the contestant area, and the graphic pops up on screen, Pat does his schtick, i.e. juggling then dropping the balls*, or sitting down, and only appearing from the neck up.

*Stop.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 03:15:29 AM »
Has anyone noticed that Pat now does a "little comical routine" right when Charlie is talking about the sponsor of the jackpot round? I think it just started this week....

There've been some weeks where he doesn't do it, but it's been a routine of his since last season.

Earlier this week, he was pretending to chug a bottle of wine. Another one that sticks out from earlier in the season is when he and Vanna were sword fighting.

--Jamie

TheLastResort

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 07:25:39 AM »
Funny.  I'll have to check it out one night.  Thanks!

Kevin Prather

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 03:23:53 PM »
The one that I remember striking me funny was when he could be seen shouting on a telephone. Not a cell phone, but a telephone that was apparently plugged into the railing. There must have been a phone jack back there, right next to Trebek's liquor cabinet. ;-)

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 04:35:02 PM »
It was probably just a prop from wherever props come from.  Probably explains the bottle and any other objects.

/Where do props come from, Uncle Bill?
This signature is currently under construction.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 04:45:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'147766\' date=\'Mar 10 2007, 01:35 PM\']
It was probably just a prop from wherever props come from.  Probably explains the bottle and any other objects.
[/quote]
Or, considering we had a phone on our news set so people could call back to the control room in case microphones died or something, not.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 04:52:33 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'147768\' date=\'Mar 10 2007, 04:45 PM\']
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'147766\' date=\'Mar 10 2007, 01:35 PM\']
[/quote]
Or, considering we had a phone on our news set so people could call back to the control room in case microphones died or something, not.[/quote]
Odd that I have this memory, but I recall a behind-the-scenes article years ago that described Pat getting a call on that phone (presumably from the control room).  According to the article, he answered, "Wink Martindale".
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Luxo1

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 07:40:37 PM »
As long as we are talking about WoF --

1.   I have always wondered about the Before and After puzzles -- let's say the puzzle answer was Cream Cheese Cake, and the player said, " Cream Cheese, Cheese Cake". Would they accept their answer, or would they lose their turn.

2.  Has anyone ever been to a taping, or heard of an incident where an audience member blurted out an answer, and a contestant heard it?? Or something similar?? Pat, on almost every show, is going ""Shhh, Shhh, audience very quiet please...shhh" Makes me think that audience members inadvertently shouting out the answer to a puzzle happens a lot.

tpirfan28

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2007, 08:00:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Luxo1\' post=\'147777\' date=\'Mar 10 2007, 07:40 PM\'] 1.   I have always wondered about the Before and After puzzles -- let's say the puzzle answer was Cream Cheese Cake, and the player said, " Cream Cheese, Cheese Cake". Would they accept their answer, or would they lose their turn.[/quote]
Unless things are different for that particular category...that would be illegal, because what was said was NOT what was on the puzzle board.  It has to be exactly what is presented.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2007, 08:59:45 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'147778\' date=\'Mar 10 2007, 05:00 PM\']
Unless things are different for that particular category...that would be illegal, because what was said was NOT what was on the puzzle board.  It has to be exactly what is presented.
[/quote]
It wouldn't be illegal.

It _would_, however, be wrong.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

beatlefreak84

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2007, 09:06:11 PM »
1. I have always wondered about the Before and After puzzles -- let's say the puzzle answer was Cream Cheese Cake, and the player said, " Cream Cheese, Cheese Cake". Would they accept their answer, or would they lose their turn.

2. Has anyone ever been to a taping, or heard of an incident where an audience member blurted out an answer, and a contestant heard it?? Or something similar?? Pat, on almost every show, is going ""Shhh, Shhh, audience very quiet please...shhh" Makes me think that audience members inadvertently shouting out the answer to a puzzle happens a lot.

For your first question, the answer is that the puzzle solution must be EXACTLY like it is on the board; otherwise, it's considered a wrong answer.  Pat and the judges might make an on-the-spot exception, but, according to the official rules, you have to state exactly what's on the board to be considered correct.

For the second question, while I'm sure it's happened in the past, at the taping I was at, before the show started, Charlie explained to everyone how we shouldn't be whispering puzzle solutions to each other because they might be heard over the mikes in the audience.  Of course, not everyone follows that rule, but, during tense rounds like the speed round and the bonus round, they send some extra pages through the audience who will come up to you and warn you to be quiet if they see you doing anything that suggests you're whispering puzzle solutions to someone else (I know...because it happened to me and a lot of the people I was sitting with!).  Usually, there are three pages total in the audience, but it jumps up to at least five (that's how many I could see) near the end of the game.

Pat most likely just says it if he can see people in the audience who look like they're whispering answers to each other as an extra security measure; he also warned people about it during the taping of the first episode.  None of the puzzles had to be thrown out during our tapings, BTW.

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™