Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Darn Karn  (Read 7136 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Darn Karn
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 05:21:21 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'147631\' date=\'Mar 7 2007, 01:57 PM\']
Or build your own computer system for it.  That's what I'm doing.  Cheap...as long as you have basic to mid-level computer hardware skills...and a knack for eBay...
[/quote]
Is the configuration ready for prime time yet, though? I suppose it's greatly simplified with Windows Media Center, but most people who I've heard about who roll their own usually do it with MythTV, and I've heard that setup isn't exactly for the faint-hearted.

(Sadly, there are still people out there who blanch at the idea of building their own PC, too. I understand it, believe me, but it's too bad.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Hastin

Darn Karn
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2007, 01:54:29 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'147633\' date=\'Mar 7 2007, 02:21 PM\']
Is the configuration ready for prime time yet, though? I suppose it's greatly simplified with Windows Media Center, but most people who I've heard about who roll their own usually do it with MythTV, and I've heard that setup isn't exactly for the faint-hearted.
[/quote]

As long as you get a card that is Media Center supported (one with hardware MPEG2 encoding), then it's real easy (install drivers, launch Media Center). Heck, even mid-level ($500-$600) computers are starting to come with TV tuners inside of them.

Honestly, ever since we did the Media Center thing a few years back, it's been a snap, and unlike TiVo or any cable DVR, we have full control, and it only costs for the machine and the OS.
-Hastin :)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Darn Karn
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2007, 02:42:18 AM »
[quote name=\'Hastin\' post=\'147653\' date=\'Mar 7 2007, 10:54 PM\']
As long as you get a card that is Media Center supported (one with hardware MPEG2 encoding), then it's real easy (install drivers, launch Media Center)
[/quote]
All fine and good, and you and I could do that with our eyes closed, but Joe User is gonna be screwed if any one single part of that "install drivers" step doesn't go quite right. And we both know that can happen in a lot of places.

(I was really referring more to MythTV anyhow. If you're building a dedicated WMC box and you don't care where Windows puts the files or what it adds to the media library (and if you're using it as a dedicated box, you probably don't), then I agree that setup was a snap. I was very surprised at how easily and quickly it was ready to go when I installed Vista Ultimate.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

cmjb13

Darn Karn
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2007, 10:51:57 AM »
I'm just glad they haven't touched the weekday run of Combs. There was a really funny moment in yesterday's show that gave me a hearty laugh.

First Bullseye question was: "With today's modern technology, name something that you can be sure about your baby before it's born". Answer was "Sex of Baby"

Last Bullseye question was: "Name something you keep in the cabinet underneath your bathroom sink". Nobody got the correct answer and when they went to reveal it said "Sex of Baby". The look on the contestants face was funny. And Ray trying to get out of it was funny as well. So glad they left that in.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Particleman

Darn Karn
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2007, 09:01:16 PM »
Actually, I use a low-end PC to record TV shows.  It's Wi-fi capable so if I want to burn and save something, I transfer it to the ol' desktop and make my DVDs.  It has its advantages over TiVo and other standalone recorders.

My experience is some of the earlier cards running on Windows 2000 would give you problems with drivers, encoders and other software but by now if you're using XP and fairly recent cards, you're okay.  WinXP with the Hauppauge PVR-250 works great; very simple to install and use.

I highly recommend buying a capture card with a hardware MPEG-II encoder built in.  It saves a ton of space, it doesn't rob the CPU, and it's already compliant to be burned as a DVD.

Caustic Window

Darn Karn
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2007, 12:39:08 AM »
Was watching a Karn rerun.  A team was trying to steal and gave the answer "sanitary napkin".  Karn said something to the effect of "Let's see if it's there, will Family X draw first blood!?"  Should I give him credit for some subtle adult humor here?

BrandonFG

Darn Karn
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2007, 12:43:28 AM »
[quote name=\'Caustic Window\' post=\'149737\' date=\'Apr 7 2007, 12:39 AM\']
Was watching a Karn rerun.  A team was trying to steal and gave the answer "sanitary napkin".  Karn said something to the effect of "Let's see if it's there, will Family X draw first blood!?"  Should I give him credit for some subtle adult humor here?
[/quote]
You know...that would've been a good pun under any other host. But since Karn said that on every episode, I can't give him that point.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Caustic Window

Darn Karn
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2007, 12:57:16 AM »
Ah, that's too bad.   I hadn't seen enough Karn Family Feuds to realize that.

tpirfan28

Darn Karn
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2007, 12:40:50 PM »
I don't follow GSN Karn Feud...but someone over at the GSN boards is saying that tonight at 11 starts the temporary return of the Combs theme.

...the only good thing about that part of the run.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

xavier45

Darn Karn
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2007, 02:57:26 PM »
It started last night. It was great to hear, but sadly was out of place.

The Pyramids

Darn Karn
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2007, 05:17:53 PM »
[quote name=\'xavier45\' post=\'150197\' date=\'Apr 14 2007, 01:57 PM\']
It started last night. It was great to hear, but sadly was out of place.
[/quote]

GSN's Kevin Belinkoff, in his interview on tvgameshows.net, said he worked on the show when he was at Freemantle which may explain why its on the schedule in the first place.

I've watched it a few times but find it simply a subpar version of 'Feud'. It would have been a little better, I think, if they had licensed any of the other three seasons. They have the benefit of the original scoring/rules.

TV Favorites

Darn Karn
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2007, 07:47:52 PM »
GSN's Kevin Belinkoff, in his interview on tvgameshows.net, said he worked on the show when he was at Freemantle which may explain why its on the schedule in the first place.

Did he work on Karn's Version?  I thought he only worked on the Anderson version of the show.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 07:48:38 PM by TV Favorites »

BrandonFG

Darn Karn
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2007, 02:49:32 AM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'150186\' date=\'Apr 14 2007, 12:40 PM\']
I don't follow GSN Karn Feud...but someone over at the GSN boards is saying that tonight at 11 starts the temporary return of the Combs theme.

[/quote]
CAUTION: this post contains slightly fanboish complaining, and Monday morning directing.

I thought the theme was horribly out of place, and that the 1994 theme would've worked better. In addition, I couldn't stand the horrible edit job they did in tacking that ending stinger onto the theme. If you wanted to use the Combs theme, at least backtime it the way they did for the intro.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

urbanpreppie05

Darn Karn
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2007, 12:12:43 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'150230\' date=\'Apr 15 2007, 02:49 AM\']
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'150186\' date=\'Apr 14 2007, 12:40 PM\']

[/quote]
CAUTION: this post contains slightly fanboish complaining, and Monday morning directing.

I thought the theme was horribly out of place, and that the 1994 theme would've worked better. In addition, I couldn't stand the horrible edit job they did in tacking that ending stinger onto the theme. If you wanted to use the Combs theme, at least backtime it the way they did for the intro.
[/quote]

I'll agree...Even if the theme wasn't edited the way it was, it still wouldn't have fit. However, the "remix" that they had online a while back (and can be heard in the faceoff music) probably would have sounded better.
Although, I still think the current theme is quite nice.

Watching this at work, (I work PT at a electronics dept of a dept store, and Game shows always look good on HD TV's) I can't help but echo a thought someone said awhile back that this version is more akin to Family Fortunes than Family Feud.

Interestingly, although the scoring system is absolutely pathetic, Karn's hosting this season was much better than his last two seasons...none of the repetitition that he's so reviled for is present....yet.
insert signature here