Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Studio Audience?  (Read 10205 times)

hiphats

Studio Audience?
« on: June 18, 2003, 12:28:04 AM »
First off, my apologies if my inaccuracies of previous game show posts have affected you guys...I'd rather make friends, not enemies as a result of what I post.

Now then...having watched newer game shows such as 'Dog Eat Dog' and PAX' \"Beat The Clock\" left me kinda skeptical...the applause, audience responses, what not, sound canned.  I'm talking about \"Dog Eat Dog\", \"Beat The Clock\", and \"Supermarket Sweep\".

The audience tracks don't sound live to me.  And the fact that A studio audience is never shown in these shows made me think...is it all faked?

It seemed that the $1 Million Chance Of A Lifetime\" used canned applause since a majority of the show's run didn't show any studio audience at all.

Any ideas?

TonicBH

Studio Audience?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2003, 12:36:01 AM »
I remember looking at a Double Dare site that had pics for Kroeger's BtC. it most certainly has an audience... or at least it did.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Studio Audience?
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2003, 01:00:04 AM »
[quote name=\'TonicBH\' date=\'Jun 17 2003, 09:36 PM\'] I remember looking at a Double Dare site that had pics for Kroeger's BtC. it most certainly has an audience... or at least it did. [/quote]
 Don't they tape at Universal Studios Florida? What would be the POINT of taping there if the show weren't open for the tourists to watch?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

Studio Audience?
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2003, 08:20:23 AM »
I think Million Dollar CoaL did have a studio audience for the full two year run, as family members in the audience came up on stage for most or all of the Million Dollar wins, and they often showed relatives of the contestants before the couples won the money

BrandonFG

Studio Audience?
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2003, 09:57:40 AM »
[quote name=\'hiphats\' date=\'Jun 17 2003, 11:28 PM\']Now then...having watched newer game shows such as 'Dog Eat Dog' and PAX' \"Beat The Clock\" left me kinda skeptical...the applause, audience responses, what not, sound canned.  I'm talking about \"Dog Eat Dog\", \"Beat The Clock\", and \"Supermarket Sweep\".[/quote]

Beat the Clock has an audience. I've seen eps. where the audience was constantly shown, in between every single joke Gary cracked. Got quite annoying. :-)

It seemed that the $1 Million Chance Of A Lifetime\" used canned applause since a majority of the show's run didn't show any studio audience at all.

There's a clip on Chris Lambert's site where the audience actually comes on stage after a $1 Mil win, a la $100K Pyramid tournaments.

Most game shows use sweetening, even if the audience is present. Hey, if a host's joke bombs, you gotta have something to play it off with, case in point: Chuck Woolery on \"Scrabble?\" :-) Or if there's only 7 audience members, case in point: Chuck Woolery on \"Wheel of Fortune.\" :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Studio Audience?
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2003, 10:17:37 AM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Jun 18 2003, 12:18 AM\']But first, you can answer one of these yourself: have you in recent years seen a studio audience?  No?  Then that's your answer.[/quote]
I know SWEEP had a studio audience during the Lifetime years, but since they changed the way the contestants come out for the current production it's hard to tell nowadays.  In my view, it's rare that a show (game or otherwise) would use a studio audience and then drop it later in the run.  I know of two examples where a studio audience was used, then dropped--the 1978-79 season of ALL IN THE FAMILY (director Paul Bogart is quoted in a book about directing, \"After we dropped the audience in the last year of the show and it was all laugh-tracked, I didn't enjoy that very much\") and the misguided effort by NBC to add a studio audience for NFL '86 (since they were shooting in when was then David Letterman's studio, maybe the audience thought Paul Maguire would do some stupid human tricks).

Randy West would definitely be able to answer whether SWEEP currently uses a studio audience.  Mr. West, that's your cue. . .  :)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Matt Ottinger

Studio Audience?
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2003, 10:33:09 AM »
Randy West would definitely be able to answer whether SWEEP currently uses a studio audience. Mr. West, that's your cue. . . :)
I'll save him the trouble, since I've been in the studio.  There's not even ROOM for an audience.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

Studio Audience?
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2003, 05:40:32 PM »
I know SWEEP had a studio audience during the Lifetime years, but since they changed the way the contestants come out for the current production it's hard to tell nowadays.

They did have an audience for the entire show for the first week or two of taping.  After that, they started having an audience of the contestant pool for the first half of the show and no audience for the second half--thanks to taping five front games back-to-back (David Ruprecht changes his sweater between each one), sending the unpicked contestants home, having lunch, putting the T shirts on the remaining contestants and then taping five Big Sweeps and end games back-to-back (and Madeline Kozlowski making sure Ruprecht's sweaters are in the same order as in the morning).  The clue that there's no audience for the Big Sweep?  The fact that there's a back wall where the audience was (or a curtain for the first series).  Still, they thought no one would notice and inserted audience shots--and then added insult to injury by having Johnny Gilbert read lines like \"...and our audience is going wild--look at them--do you think they're trying to tell our teams something?\"

In my view, it's rare that a show (game or otherwise) would use a studio audience and then drop it later in the run.  I know of two examples where a studio audience was used, then dropped--the 1978-79 season of ALL IN THE FAMILY (director Paul Bogart is quoted in a book about directing, \"After we dropped the audience in the last year of the show and it was all laugh-tracked, I didn't enjoy that very much\")

Carroll O'Connor wanted more time to actually tape the show (closer to a film schedule) then the two tapings with two sets of audiences every week.  What they supposedly did(according to the voice-over at the end of the show) was bring in an audience to view the finished tape and record their response (similar to how one-camera sitcoms got responses before Charley Douglass invented his Laff Box).  This stayed all the way through \"Archie Bunker's Place.\"  It wasn't canned, but Bogart had to remind the actors to pause for the laughs that would come in later.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Studio Audience?
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2003, 06:27:01 PM »
Carroll O'Connor wanted more time to actually tape the show (closer to a film schedule) then the two tapings with two sets of audiences every week. What they supposedly did(according to the voice-over at the end of the show) was bring in an audience to view the finished tape and record their response (similar to how one-camera sitcoms got responses before Charley Douglass invented his Laff Box). This stayed all the way through \"Archie Bunker's Place.\" It wasn't canned, but Bogart had to remind the actors to pause for the laughs that would come in later.
There very well may have been live reactions interspersed, but most of the clapping for the 1978-79 AITF season was tracked (most of the Tandem/TAT shows at Metromedia went to that particular audience track in the fall of 1978--THE JEFFERSONS and GOOD TIMES are possible exceptions).  You may very well be correct about them doing it that way for ARCHIE BUNKER'S PLACE--since they moved out of Metromedia and back to CBS TV City for those shows the reactions were altogether different.

And as a trivial aside, it was Carroll O'Connor himself doing that voiceover, over a rerecorded version (a half step slower and a lot thinner) of \"Remembering You.\"

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

DJDustman

Studio Audience?
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2003, 07:13:28 PM »
Does Lingo, Wintuition and Friend or Foe have a Studio Audience?

zachhoran

Studio Audience?
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2003, 07:42:26 PM »
Lingo did for the first few taped shows of the second season, Friend or Foe does not, and I'm fairly sure WIntuition doesn't.