Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Anybody Can Play...With Ron Greenberg  (Read 3081 times)

TimK2003

Anybody Can Play...With Ron Greenberg
« on: February 17, 2007, 11:27:06 PM »
Due to our "Blackout" Marathon earlier in the week on the Game Show Forum (was that Ernest Angeley holding those wire cutters last weekend??), this topic might have fallen through the cracks.

I have to say that Ron Greenberg's internet Game Show was pretty good, unfortunately since I was out and about on my job with my cell phone, I only heard the rounds when I was on the phone line with Stu and I have yet to catch the replay of the show.

All I can say is that the questions were well written and were of various difficulties -- especially in the final round.  Matt can probably jump in here and fill us in on how much of the used question material was his, but all and all I had a great time being a contestant, although hearing everyone in the conference call setting was a bit difficult at times.  

I even got my "cash winnings" of $10 in the mail already, and I'm sure my DVD video is not too far behind.

If you haven't registered yet for the game, Do It!  Stu is very cordial as an assistant and Ron does a great job as hosting.  Here's hoping for a long run of the show!

Timsterino

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 01:04:54 PM »
I was thrilled to be called and had a lot of fun playing the game. Ron Greenberg was great as host. It was fun to play against you in the finals, Tim. :) I also received my $10 check and I also received the DVD, thanks Stu!

I hope for a long run and to be called again in the future. :)

Tim :-)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 06:11:11 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'146193\' date=\'Feb 17 2007, 11:27 PM\']All I can say is that the questions were well written and were of various difficulties -- especially in the final round.  Matt can probably jump in here and fill us in on how much of the used question material was his, but all and all I had a great time being a contestant, although hearing everyone in the conference call setting was a bit difficult at times.  [/quote]
I didn't hear a lot of my own material, which is mostly academic in nature, but from what I understand, Ronnie likes it and is probably saving it for future weeks.

I loved the first show.  I knew the game from the runthroughs so I was a little afraid of being bored listening to it for a whole hour, but it moves quickly and any trivia fan is always going to enjoy playing along at home.

(I think I found one mistake, though it didn't cost anybody anything.  Ronnie asked which figure on Mount Rushmore is wearing glasses.  The obvious answer is Teddy Roosevelt, but I don't think the sculpture has him bespectacled.)

Naturally, it's also neat hearing our own people playing the game, sometimes against one another.  Still, I'm sure Stu and the gang would like to expand their contestant pool (as well as their listenership) beyond a couple hundred of us.  Anybody with any ideas on how to get the word out to a larger audience, feel free to post them here.  I'll make sure your ideas get back to Stu and Ronnie.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Timsterino

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 06:13:20 PM »
What about them doing posts on Craigslist.org for call in contestants? It is free! :-)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 06:13:43 PM by Timsterino »

TimK2003

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 07:39:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Timsterino\' post=\'146225\' date=\'Feb 18 2007, 02:04 PM\']
I was thrilled to be called and had a lot of fun playing the game. Ron Greenberg was great as host. It was fun to play against you in the finals, Tim. :) I also received my $10 check and I also received the DVD, thanks Stu!

I hope for a long run and to be called again in the future. :)

Tim :-)
[/quote]

So YOU were the other Tim, er Timothy!  :-)

When Stu first called me for the contestant interview, he said that "there *might* be a little problem in the Final Round if both Tims made it all the way, but didn't think it would happen"..but it did!! BWAHAHAHAA!

It sounds like they have a good contestant mix, as I did not know my opponent in the first round nor do I think she knows about our forum here.

It was also good to hear a few of the players and a few other familiar forum people on Stu's Show the following day w/ Pat Harrington.  He had some great stories!

Mike Tennant

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 03:53:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'146251\' date=\'Feb 18 2007, 06:11 PM\']
(I think I found one mistake, though it didn't cost anybody anything.  Ronnie asked which figure on Mount Rushmore is wearing glasses.  The obvious answer is Teddy Roosevelt, but I don't think the sculpture has him bespectacled.)
[/quote]
On t'other hand, if you look here (scroll down about halfway, or search on "glasses"), he certainly does appear to be wearing glasses.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 06:36:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' post=\'146351\' date=\'Feb 19 2007, 03:53 PM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'146251\' date=\'Feb 18 2007, 06:11 PM\']
[/quote]
On t'other hand, if you look here (scroll down about halfway, or search on "glasses"), he certainly does appear to be wearing glasses.[/quote]
Oh, very cool.  mmb5 and I were looking for absolute, rock-solid (pardon the pun) confirmation one way or the other, and couldn't find it.  I'm still not sure "the illusion of glasses" constitutes proof, but it's the best example that goes against me that I've been shown yet.  As I said, it didn't matter one whit to the player, it just became an interesting exercise.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 06:44:00 PM »
Was I the only one who's mind came up with a perverse thought when reading the title?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

tomobrien

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 11:28:43 PM »
Was anyone from the board on tonight's show?  I didn't recognize any names but maybe I missed something.

Ronnie Greenberg was really fun again...he's got a great hosting style, and it's just a good, simple Q&A game.  It's rerunning during the week...catch it if you can!

chad1m

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 09:29:11 PM »
Last week's show was very entertaining. I like this a lot.

Also, a question... I knew some people got e-mails letting them know they were selected as contestants to go on the air. Do/did contestants get those before the whole series began or before the week they were supposed to come on? I'm just wondering in case I ever get chosen.

TimK2003

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 11:52:28 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'146773\' date=\'Feb 23 2007, 10:29 PM\']
Last week's show was very entertaining. I like this a lot.

Also, a question... I knew some people got e-mails letting them know they were selected as contestants to go on the air. Do/did contestants get those before the whole series began or before the week they were supposed to come on? I'm just wondering in case I ever get chosen.
[/quote]

You will get the e-mail(s) from Stu a few days before the show date you were picked to play on.

The first 2 e-mails I got were asking for confirmation that you will be able available to play on the date selected.  Then I received a third e-mail explaining what will happen during the afternoon of the show.

rigsby

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 06:35:47 PM »
So far, I'm enjoying this week's episode quite a bit.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 06:57:19 PM »
[quote name=\'rigsby\' post=\'147066\' date=\'Feb 27 2007, 06:35 PM\']So far, I'm enjoying this week's episode quite a bit.[/quote]
Is it because you're one of the finalists? ;-)

rigsby

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 07:03:48 PM »
Could be...

Really, it was a lot of fun, very laid back.  We had a couple of glitches, but I guess that happens with live broadcasts.