Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Password Plus Set Damaged?  (Read 5254 times)

MrBuddwing

Password Plus Set Damaged?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 06:17:37 PM »
[quote name=\'geno57\' post=\'145370\' date=\'Feb 6 2007, 07:24 AM\']
It's only getting worse with hi-def.  Little dings that are hardly noticeable on standard def, will stick out and be very obvious in HD.  Same goes for actors, anchors, etc.  Makeup requirements for the new technology are outrageous.
[/quote]

How many times have we been to the taping of a favorite TV show, only to be shocked at how shoddy the set looked in real life?

I've never been in TV production, but I was under the impression that there was a certain perverse pride in what producers could get away with in terms of using cheap sets that took full advantage of TV's technical limitations. In fact, there was such a thing as a set looking *too* good, with too much fine detail.

But, as others have noted, HDTV has completely scrambled that equation.

tvmitch

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 09:48:42 AM »
[quote name=\'MrBuddwing\' post=\'145425\' date=\'Feb 6 2007, 06:17 PM\']
How many times have we been to the taping of a favorite TV show, only to be shocked at how shoddy the set looked in real life?
[/quote]

One that sticks out in my mind is that the Millionaire set seemed to look worse after each of the several tapings we attended...we saw the second episode of the second series way back in December of 1999, and the set even then looked dinged up and scratchy, especially the lucite(?) floor. Always amazed me how the set shots would look so good even though that floor was noticeably scratched up in person.
You should follow me on Twitter

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 10:59:51 AM »
[quote name=\'geno57\' post=\'145370\' date=\'Feb 6 2007, 07:24 AM\']
It's only getting worse with hi-def.  Little dings that are hardly noticeable on standard def, will stick out and be very obvious in HD.  Same goes for actors, anchors, etc.  Makeup requirements for the new technology are outrageous.
[/quote]

"Wow, that Kelly Ripa sure is dinged." :D
@lambertman

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007, 11:34:03 AM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'145461\' date=\'Feb 7 2007, 09:48 AM\']
[quote name=\'MrBuddwing\' post=\'145425\' date=\'Feb 6 2007, 06:17 PM\']
[/quote]

One that sticks out in my mind is that the Millionaire set seemed to look worse after each of the several tapings we attended...we saw the second episode of the second series way back in December of 1999, and the set even then looked dinged up and scratchy, especially the lucite(?) floor. Always amazed me how the set shots would look so good even though that floor was noticeably scratched up in person.
[/quote]
I had similar thoughts when I saw Deal or No Deal.  Tim Connolly, Jason Hernandez, a friend of Jason's, and I had to cross over the bridge which connects the central podium area to the family and friends area to get to our seats in "the pit".  The area looked somewhat dirty, especially considering 30-some people had to cross that area, and that was with someone sweeping with a pushbroom on an occasional basis.  Before the taping started, a woman sitting a row in front of us accidentally kicked a plywood panel, causing it to pop out of place.

Seeing 53 boobs (26 models and Howie) made me overlook the show's appearance quite quickly.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 07:03:47 PM by MikeK »

KrisW73

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2007, 12:29:18 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'145465\' date=\'Feb 7 2007, 11:34 AM\']
Seeing 53 boobs (26 models and Howie) [/quote]

Line of the Day!

uncamark

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2007, 12:38:15 PM »
Probably because it was brand-spanking new (well, backdrop-wise) and in the Radio City Music Hall, but I thought the "J!" Million Dollar Masters Tournament looked really good in person, more so than the Atlanta TOC or Chicago College Tournament sets.

I noticed that some of the "WWTBAM" ATA keypads were pretty worn down after five years of use.  Were there changes to the set that became permanent with "Super Millionaire" or was that just all lighting?