Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Password Plus Set Damaged?  (Read 5251 times)

Win a Pile

Password Plus Set Damaged?
« on: February 04, 2007, 12:55:51 PM »
Hello everyone,

Although I read a lot, I don't post often. But, I've been curious about this for a while.

Anyone else notice how the walls of Password Plus set behind each team (the walls with all the +s) have flaws - either in the paint or the woodwork. Not just little flaws either - very noticeable. Looks like wrinkled fabric or paint. Also, crooked neon numbers on the main puzzle board.

A result of the quick transition between "Password '79" and "Password Plus" titles, maybe?  Perhaps Chris can shed some light on it?

TheLastResort

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 03:13:06 PM »
Many game show sets from the old days had flaws in the sets.  Hell, even close-ups of props on today's TPIR reveals paint chips, scratches, dings, etc.  I think a lot of it has to do with bigger TVs and better technology.

As for P+ in particular, I noticed the crooked neon numbers too.  Seems like they would've been easy enough to fix.  I'm guessing nobody noticed it or cared.  Same deal with the background.  They probably figured they could get away with it without anyone noticing.

jmangin

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 08:39:05 PM »
Somewhat off-topic, has anyone noticed what appears to be mirror-images of a certain antisemitic political group's symbol patterned in with/behind the pluses?

Look closely.  I'm sure it was wholly unintentional, but I have always found it kind-of odd that nobody caught it after the set had been built.

narzo

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 08:58:59 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'145262\' date=\'Feb 4 2007, 07:39 PM\']
Somewhat off-topic, has anyone noticed what appears to be mirror-images of a certain antisemitic political group's symbol patterned in with/behind the pluses?

Look closely.  I'm sure it was wholly unintentional, but I have always found it kind-of odd that nobody caught it after the set had been built.
[/quote]

Even as a child of 11 years old I noticed that during the initial run.  Now don't even get my started on the phalic border of the cards on "Card Sharks"
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 09:00:09 PM by narzo »

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 10:55:56 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'145262\' date=\'Feb 4 2007, 08:39 PM\']
[/quote]

I've noticed it too, but do note that: #1, the particular symbol is also used as a symbol of peace, well-being, and joy in many, many cultures pre-dating the hateful use by thousands of years, and #2. If there's a production company that's exempt from accusations of anti-semitism, it would almost certainly be a company founded by guys named Goodson and Todman.

The Confederate flag on the Match Game set, on the other hand...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 10:56:29 PM by Adam Nedeff »

jmangin

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 11:08:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' post=\'145266\' date=\'Feb 4 2007, 10:55 PM\']
I've noticed it too, but do note that: #1, the particular symbol is also used as a symbol of peace, well-being, and joy in many, many cultures pre-dating the hateful use by thousands of years, and #2. If there's a production company that's exempt from accusations of anti-semitism, it would almost certainly be a company founded by guys named Goodson and Todman.
[/quote]
Unfortunately the notoriety of that symbol from the 40s is what people remember...

I wonder if Goodson ever mentioned anything about it.

Like I said, I'm sure it wasn't by any means intentional.  I would be curious to see any other designs that were in the works before they chose what made it to air.

[/quote]
Anyone know if both sets were designed by the same person?

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 11:14:57 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'145267\' date=\'Feb 4 2007, 11:08 PM\']
[/quote]
Unfortunately the notoriety of that symbol from the 40s is what people remember...

Like I said, I'm sure it wasn't by any means intentional.  I would be curious to see any other designs that were in the works before they chose what made it to air.

[/quote]
[/quote]

I believe Bente Christensen had a hand in both of them.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Chief-O

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 11:15:56 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'145267\' date=\'Feb 4 2007, 10:08 PM\']
[/quote]

MG = James Agazzi
P+ = Bente Christensen

BTW, I have never noticed such symbolism in either of those sets.
.....and it goes like this!!!

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 11:17:17 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'145268\' date=\'Feb 4 2007, 11:14 PM\']
[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'145267\' date=\'Feb 4 2007, 11:08 PM\']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

I believe Bente Christensen had a hand in both of them.
[/quote]

...or not.
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services

tpirfan28

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 11:20:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' post=\'145270\' date=\'Feb 4 2007, 11:15 PM\']
BTW, I have never noticed such symbolism in either of those sets.
[/quote]

For once, YTMND.com comes in handy...

And the "bars" were the first thing my roommate noticed when I showed him an ep. of "Match Game" from the DVD.  I think I should've picked a better ep....
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Neumms

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 03:51:06 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'145272\' date=\'Feb 4 2007, 11:20 PM\']

For once, YTMND.com comes in handy...

[/quote]

That is the original swastika, the one that meant good luck--the German political party reversed it. We had an old quilt that a great grandmother made with those in the design, not that it didn't look spooky after the middle 20th Century.

The roof of the Metrodome in Minneapolis has four zig-zag seams that meet in the center and form the WWII version--it's generally the younger set that notices this. Or Brad Johnson, Vikings QB, may have noticed it, lying on his back as often as he did this past season.

Does anyone else notice how the shape of the middle "W" on the Who What or Where Game resembled a hammer and sickle?

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 04:02:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'145311\' date=\'Feb 5 2007, 03:51 PM\']
Does anyone else notice how the shape of the middle "W" on the Who What or Where Game resembled a hammer and sickle?
[/quote]

Now that you mention it...

Sorta.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 04:08:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'145311\' date=\'Feb 5 2007, 12:51 PM\']
The roof of the Metrodome in Minneapolis has four zig-zag seams that meet in the center and form the WWII version--it's generally the younger set that notices this. Or Brad Johnson, Vikings QB, may have noticed it, lying on his back as often as he did this past season.
[/quote]
I lol'd.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 03:18:00 AM »
Steve Ryan pointed out those "symbols" to me when we first started rehearsing the show, but a big deal was never made of them and redesigning the set was not an option.

Originally the score readouts behind the main game desk were too low and were blocked on camera by the celebrity's head. A couple of stage carpenters came in and did a terrific job of moving them higher on the set wall above the heads of the celebrities.

In those days, game show sets were wheeled into the studio in pieces and set up for each taping, then dismantled and rolled back out into a big storage area after each taping. Sets would accumulate dings with all of this wear and tear, and when the dings became bad enough the producer would order that a new coat of paint be applied.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 03:25:04 AM by chris319 »

geno57

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 07:24:28 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'145367\' date=\'Feb 6 2007, 02:18 AM\']
In those days, game show sets were wheeled into the studio in pieces and set up for each taping, then dismantled and rolled back out into a big storage area after each taping. Sets would accumulate dings with all of this wear and tear, and when the dings became bad enough the producer would order that a new coat of paint be applied.
[/quote]

It's only getting worse with hi-def.  Little dings that are hardly noticeable on standard def, will stick out and be very obvious in HD.  Same goes for actors, anchors, etc.  Makeup requirements for the new technology are outrageous.