Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shows that Game Show Network should get.  (Read 15748 times)

catnap1972

Shows that Game Show Network should get.
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2003, 02:00:47 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Oct 14 2003, 10:42 AM\'] Cronin HAS mentioned wanting to get TPIR back, but other than that, some of the shows WE want to see that they don't yet have rights to they might not be getting anytime soon. [/quote]
 Is there anything left that GSN could feasbily make a profit on?  Aside from TPIR and maybe the (future) PAX castoffs (SS and STYD), I can't think of much left that doesn't fall under the "too obscure to spend money on" blanket.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2003, 02:07:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Oct 14 2003, 01:00 PM\'] [quote name=\'Rhudson765\' date=\'Oct 13 2003, 03:31 PM\'] Hitman
Whew!
 [/quote]
How long have they been showing Win, Lose or Draw?  I don't think it ran much longer than Whew!. [/quote]
 WLoD ran three seasons in syndication (Convy for two years, Weller for one year).  The NBC version with Vicki Lawrence ran about two years (but GSN wasn't showing that version anyway).  WHEW!  ran considerably shorter.

Speaking of Vicki Lawrence, I just got tix to her two-woman/one-woman show.  Anyone here seen it and care to give me an idea as to what to expect?

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

uncamark

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2003, 03:51:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Oct 14 2003, 01:00 PM\'][quote name=\'Rhudson765\' date=\'Oct 13 2003, 03:31 PM\'] Hitman
Whew!
 [/quote]
How long have they been showing Win, Lose or Draw?  I don't think it ran much longer than Whew!.[/quote]
I don't have the actual dates for "Whew!", but it seems to me that "WLOD" ran two years longer than "Whew!"  It's also a decade sooner and has more than a few celebs that are still active today.

zachhoran

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2003, 06:46:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Oct 14 2003, 01:00 PM\'] [quote name=\'Rhudson765\' date=\'Oct 13 2003, 03:31 PM\'] Hitman
Whew!
 [/quote]
How long have they been showing Win, Lose or Draw?  I don't think it ran much longer than Whew!. [/quote]
 WLOD ran three years in syndication(Sep 1987-Sep 1990), and two years concurrently with that on NBC daytime(Sep 1987-Sep 1989). GSN has 200 episodes of the syndie run(all of season one and the first few weeks of season two). They could acquire the rest of the syndie run, which would include the 1989-90 season with Robb Weller, or even pull a surprise and bring us Vicki Lawrence's daytime NBC version, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon. GSN has run WLOD for 18 months at this point, and the shows they acquired are midway through their third cycle(7PM airing EST), the new 1PM EST airing started at the beginning of the run yesterday.

Gromit

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2003, 01:17:40 AM »
Put me down as someone who stopped watching HS after the repeats kept coming up. If I know the outcome or the jokes, I don't watch.

Did the ratings start out low and stay that way, or did they slowly decline over time?

As for shows they should get, I've always wanted to see the old "scandal" shows. Let me watch 21 knowing that the contestant may have been tipped off. I think it would be very interesting to watch in hindsight.

BrandonFG

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2003, 02:03:25 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Oct 14 2003, 02:51 PM\'] [quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Oct 14 2003, 01:00 PM\'][quote name=\'Rhudson765\' date=\'Oct 13 2003, 03:31 PM\'] Hitman
Whew!
 [/quote]
How long have they been showing Win, Lose or Draw?  I don't think it ran much longer than Whew!.[/quote]
I don't have the actual dates for "Whew!", but it seems to me that "WLOD" ran two years longer than "Whew!"  It's also a decade sooner and has more than a few celebs that are still active today. [/quote]
 IIRC, Whew barely made it past one year.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Ian Wallis

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2003, 08:58:47 AM »
IIRC, Whew barely made it past one year.

April 1979-May 1980.

Replaced by "Alice" reruns on the CBS schedule.  Ugh!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Ian Wallis

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2003, 09:02:53 AM »
Did the ratings start out low and stay that way, or did they slowly decline over time?

I've often wondered about GSN's ratings.  Surely the people that run the network must know that airing the same limited number of shows over and over (such as 150 "Hollywood Squares", 200 "Press Your Lucks" or 150 "Let's Make a Deals") will drop the ratings after a while.

It's easy to for them to take a show off the schedule once the ratings drop, but part of it is their own fault.  Once they lease a show, they should have a pretty good indication of what the ratings are fairly quickly.  They shouldn't have to wait a couple of years, and run through the same episodes many times before deciding this is worth renewing.  By then it might be too late.
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jay Temple

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2003, 11:35:35 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Oct 16 2003, 01:03 AM\'][quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Oct 14 2003, 01:00 PM\']
How long have they been showing Win, Lose or Draw?  I don't think it ran much longer than Whew!.[/quote]
IIRC, Whew barely made it past one year.[/quote]
Okay, I overestimated how long Whew! ran.  Still, Blockbusters only ran a year and a half, and it's at least been on the schedule since the start of the year.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

cweaver

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2003, 05:58:16 PM »
Here's what I would like to see...

Cross Wits
The Liar's Club
High Rollers
Concentration

Then again what do I know?  I thought "Hollywood Squares" would hold onto its initial high ratings (remember it *was* successful at first), and that "To Tell the Truth" was a great idea for a game show to revive.  0 for 2 on that one.

I am surprised GSN has never revived any of the classic GT panel shows as a new show for their own network.  "What's My Line?" would be great now, with more video available of some of these people at their jobs.   But once again, what do I know?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2003, 03:51:24 AM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' date=\'Oct 18 2003, 04:58 PM\'] Here's what I would like to see...

Cross Wits
The Liar's Club
High Rollers
Concentration

Then again what do I know?  I thought "Hollywood Squares" would hold onto its initial high ratings (remember it *was* successful at first), and that "To Tell the Truth" was a great idea for a game show to revive.  0 for 2 on that one.

I am surprised GSN has never revived any of the classic GT panel shows as a new show for their own network.  "What's My Line?" would be great now, with more video available of some of these people at their jobs.   But once again, what do I know? [/quote]
 Assuming you mean the original runs, all of these shows are rumored to be destroyed.  Sparks' Cross-Wits is still intact, and has been rerun on Family Channel, and America One Television.  Liar's Club--perhaps it did get rerun on USA for a while, "The New Liar's Club" should still exist.  Both original HR runs seem to be non existant; Wink's is still somewhere.  Original Concentration is likely gone; Narz and Trebek should still exist.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Ian Wallis

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2003, 09:25:48 AM »
Liar's Club--perhaps it did get rerun on USA for a while, "The New Liar's Club" should still exist.

Strange that USA never ran any Allen Ludden-hosted "Liars Club".  Too bad none of those are in the trade curcuit.

I wonder if the reason GSN has never attempted to remake a GT panel show is because they don't own the rights to them - they only lease them.  They did try to remake Barris' "Three's a Crowd", but they own the Barris formats.
NEW LOCATION!!!

Starkman

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2003, 10:53:23 PM »
ok based on what I would LIKE to see note that LIKE is in all caps because i KNOW gsn wont, cant and shouldnt air these shows because they would not garner enough ratings and or do not exist.

Talk About (Very underrated)

(hersey) Davidson Squares (/Hersey)

Edwards Chain Reaction (Ok ill suffer through some blake emmons too just to bolster the count of eps) I didnt like the 3 on 3 cullen version personally.

Fun House

UK Link

Kennedy NTT

Whew!

My Generation

Groucho YBYL

$ale of the century (perry)

Scrabble

and

Concentration (trebek)

As i said id LIKE them to be seen again but I would not expect and in some cases even want GSN to spend the money on them. So there is my attempt of keeping both the fantasy schedulers and the realists happy ;)

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2003, 11:18:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Oct 20 2003, 08:25 AM\']

Strange that USA never ran any Allen Ludden-hosted "Liars Club".  Too bad none of those are in the trade curcuit.

[/quote]
 USA didn't show any Jack Barry TJW either.  I thought the reason might be because both Allen and Jack were deceased before the USA airings, however they did show Bobby Van's MML.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

zachhoran

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2003, 07:55:07 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Oct 29 2003, 11:18 PM\'] [quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Oct 20 2003, 08:25 AM\']

[/quote]
USA didn't show any Jack Barry TJW either.  I thought the reason might be because both Allen and Jack were deceased before the USA airings, however they did show Bobby Van's MML. [/quote]
 USA continued to show Convy's WLoD after his death(though they first aired Syndie WLOD while he was still alive)