Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Temptation" clears for fall  (Read 21073 times)

urbanpreppie05

"Temptation" clears for fall
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2007, 10:13:34 PM »
See, now I'm scared. The same company that did such a horrible job with Match Game and Card Sharks that there can never again be serious talk of a revival for either is now prepared to do something "hip and edgy" with my beloved Sale Of The Century. I'm as tense as I can be (about a syndicated television show that's still a year away from airing and doesn't actually impact my life one iota no matter what happens).

All they have to do is copy the Australian version. If the decide to make the IB's part of the "home shopping" part, I won't mind as long as it doesnt detract too much for the game.

I do fear that not many stations will pick it up, and our MNTV affil, WUAB, has gotten remarkably trashy since the changeover.
insert signature here

GS Warehouse

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2007, 10:40:19 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'142629\' date=\'Jan 9 2007, 07:10 PM\']A full list of the Fox-owned stations is here; as you roll over each you'll see a Fox or My logo. ...[/quote]Tsk tsk tsk.  All the Mylogos are virtually identical, and all the Fox logos follow three basic templates.  Whatever happened to creativity?

[quote name=\'Game Show Man\' post=\'142654\' date=\'Jan 9 2007, 09:57 PM\']... No, seriously.  Those who've seen me rock Sale of the Century at the GSC and elsewhere know I have the chops.  All I need is the chance. ...[/quote]You realize your co-host probably isn't going to Amy Jo Johnson, right? :-D

gsgalaxy82

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2007, 11:13:27 PM »
Well, I know here in Phoenix it'll at least end up on KUTP My45, but I wonder if there's a possibility it could end up on Fox 10 KSAZ? Both are Fox owned stations, do you think Fox will move any to the bigger stations?

David

Unrealtor

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2007, 01:03:01 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'142645\' date=\'Jan 9 2007, 07:25 PM\']
For hosts, I'd start by looking at newscasters from the FOX/MNTV O&O newscasts.
[/quote]

You do realize this would include such huge talents as Jillian Barberie?

However, I do have to say that news brings one thing that's essential to a host for the $ale/Temptation format: The ability to read quickly, clearly, and accurately.

/Jillian is already well known for her huge talents.
//Maybe they could get her to cohost/model and have Pat O'Brien read the questions. He's such a great guy.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2007, 01:39:32 AM »
I have a feeling that the other Fox stations or the non-Fox MyNetworks will get 2nd priority here.  I'm willing to bet that there will be takers there and other stations will follow suit, allowing Temptation the chance to thrive.  After all, it didn't take much for Wheel to get its foot in the door.

Slightly off-topic: How many TV markets are there?  I remember it being said in my Mass Comm class, but I forgot, and after counting the Fox stations, I know it's more than 35.
This signature is currently under construction.

Kniwt

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2007, 01:47:31 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'142689\' date=\'Jan 9 2007, 10:39 PM\']
Slightly off-topic: How many TV markets are there?  I remember it being said in my Mass Comm class, but I forgot, and after counting the Fox stations, I know it's more than 35.
[/quote]

There are 210 markets:
http://www.newsblues.com/dma.htm
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 01:47:53 AM by Kniwt »

BrandonFG

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2007, 02:25:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'142689\' date=\'Jan 10 2007, 01:39 AM\']
I have a feeling that the other Fox stations or the non-Fox MyNetworks will get 2nd priority here.  I'm willing to bet that there will be takers there and other stations will follow suit, allowing Temptation the chance to thrive.  After all, it didn't take much for Wheel to get its foot in the door.
[/quote]
Aside from the fact that TV was a lot different 23 1/2 years ago. Wheel didn't pop up until March 1984 in some markets, and from what I've read it didn't get good clearance in either NYC and/or LA (ditto for Jeopardy! its first season). Nowadays, if NYC and LA can't pick up a show, it's chances are slim-to-none (i.e. a LMaD pitch from the late-90s).

It had a very rocky start before it became a juggernaut.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TonicBH

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2007, 03:24:51 AM »
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' post=\'142651\' date=\'Jan 9 2007, 06:42 PM\']
See, now I'm scared.  The same company that did such a horrible job with Match Game and Card Sharks that there can never again be serious talk of a revival for either is now prepared to do something "hip and edgy" with my beloved Sale Of The Century.  I'm as tense as I can be (about a syndicated television show that's still a year away from airing and doesn't actually impact my life one iota no matter what happens).
[/quote]

Well, Family Feud hasn't really been messed with. And since the thing's been on for 8 years, it's given them time to polish the format and get a host who realizes saying "Double the points" is quite stupid.

Not everything Fremantle makes is a lemon. Hopefully Temptation will make lemonade instead.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2007, 03:56:52 AM »
I'm stoked that $ale/Temptation is comming back after an 18-year huatus off the air.  I'm sure other stations will pick it up(including any of my local affikiates) since DZ mentioned that it's not restricted to those Fox O&Os.

As far as the home shopping aspect goes, I wonder how they'll incorporate it into the show.  Maybe it'll be patterned after the late 1980's show Bargain Hunters.  The discounted prices they speak of will no doubt be mark-offs from the actual retail price instead of those $otC prices because if they do, those phone lines & web servers may not handle all that traffic if that happened.

remlap

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2007, 06:33:11 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'142642\' date=\'Jan 10 2007, 01:08 AM\']
Nope -- no Big 4 network O&Os or affiliates are superstations.  The law specifically lists WWOR and WPIX New York, KWGN Denver, KTLA Los Angeles, and WSBK Boston.  All are CW stations except for WWOR (My) and WSBK (independent).
[/quote]

Intresting KWGN still has superstation status yet WGN-TV doesnt :D

Thanks..

mmb5

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2007, 07:49:49 AM »
[quote name=\'remlap\' post=\'142698\' date=\'Jan 10 2007, 06:33 AM\']
Nope -- no Big 4 network O&Os or affiliates are superstations.  The law specifically lists WWOR and WPIX New York, KWGN Denver, KTLA Los Angeles, and WSBK Boston.  All are CW stations except for WWOR (My) and WSBK (independent).
[/quote]

Thanks..
[/quote]
WGN *used* to have the status.  When syndex and later ther decision to be a WB affiliate came into play, they decided to have two feeds, one for the Chicago market, and one for the rest of the nation.  The superstations above do not have separate feeds.  WTBS/TBS did the same thing.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

MrGameShow

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2007, 09:57:03 AM »
For all of you getting worried they are going to mess up the show, fair warning: It's A LITTLE different than what you were used to in the Perry era, but "generally" sticks to the same format.

I was hired to work on the pilot project for it (and, fingers crossed, will be for the main show) - at first I thought the format changes were a little odd, but trust me when I say that you'll warm up to them. I'm not sure exactly what I'm allowed to say about the format, and considering I'm under contract, I have to be considerate for any future paychecks! :D

Generally, the game is the same. Answer questions, earn money, highest amount is the champ. Changes? The mini-games. FAME GAME has been altered slightly for the home audience sake, and there's a new bonus round for the champ to earn even MORE money towards their 'account' for the end of the show (for the prize choices).

Over and above that, there is a lot of 'at home' playability so you can participate along with the contestants.

I think everyone will enjoy the show even if it doesn't stick to the old 80's format, and the updates don't ruin the game (at least in my opinion).

TimK2003

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2007, 10:10:36 AM »
[quote name=\'TonicBH\' post=\'142694\' date=\'Jan 10 2007, 04:24 AM\']
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' post=\'142651\' date=\'Jan 9 2007, 06:42 PM\']
See, now I'm scared.  The same company that did such a horrible job with Match Game and Card Sharks that there can never again be serious talk of a revival for either is now prepared to do something "hip and edgy" with my beloved Sale Of The Century.  I'm as tense as I can be (about a syndicated television show that's still a year away from airing and doesn't actually impact my life one iota no matter what happens).
[/quote]

Well, Family Feud hasn't really been messed with. And since the thing's been on for 8 years, it's given them time to polish the format and get a host who realizes saying "Double the points" is quite stupid.

Not everything Fremantle makes is a lemon. Hopefully Temptation will make lemonade instead.
[/quote]

Remember that Fremantle had did well with the shows used for Game Show Marathon, as far as keeping with the original recipe.  So they have had a decent track record -- if you only count the last year or so.

remlap

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2007, 11:16:37 AM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'142699\' date=\'Jan 10 2007, 12:49 PM\']
[quote name=\'remlap\' post=\'142698\' date=\'Jan 10 2007, 06:33 AM\']
[/quote]

Thanks..
[/quote]
WGN *used* to have the status.  When syndex and later ther decision to be a WB affiliate came into play, they decided to have two feeds, one for the Chicago market, and one for the rest of the nation.  The superstations above do not have separate feeds.  WTBS/TBS did the same thing.

--Mike
[/quote]

I know its back story and same goes with WTBS.

I was just thinking that KWGN would of done the same in the mid 90s.

All the regional commerical broadcasters / local variations on commericals here in the UK could be called Superstations by North American terms now since they are easily accessed on satellite.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 11:20:39 AM by remlap »

dzinkin

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2007, 11:33:57 AM »
[quote name=\'remlap\' post=\'142716\' date=\'Jan 10 2007, 11:16 AM\']
I know its back story and same goes with WTBS.

I was just thinking that KWGN would of done the same in the mid 90s.
[/quote]
KWGN never had sufficient popularity or cable carriage across the country to warrant a separate feed.

[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'142699\' date=\'Jan 10 2007, 12:49 PM\']
WTBS/TBS did the same thing.
[/quote]
My understanding was that TBS did a split feed not because of syndex but because Turner wanted to be able to charge cable systems for carriage, something that a superstation legally can't do.  (Hence the early formation of Southern Satellite -- run by a buddy of Ted Turner -- and United Video to uplink WTBS and WGN.)  When syndex returned in the late '80s, TBS already had a syndex-proof schedule.

For what it's worth, KTVT Dallas and KTVU Oakland also were early superstations.  KTVT lost its status when it switched from being an independent to the area's CBS affiliate (now O&O); I'm not sure when and why KTVU did but I assume that it had something to do with joining Fox.