Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shows with good cents  (Read 5907 times)

Craig Karlberg

Shows with good cents
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2007, 03:28:08 AM »
IIRC, there was an ABC show called Bargain Hunters where at the end of each segment, the home viewer had the oppurtunity to purchase merchandise.  Its values were in dollars & cents I think.  That bit was patterned off of the home shopping craze during the late 80s.

Ian Wallis

Shows with good cents
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2007, 09:02:47 AM »
Another is the rare three-way tie on Tattletales--cents weren't on the readouts, but I seem to remember Bert saying each section divided $583.33.

He may have said that once (I probably didn't see every instance where it occurred), but most of the time he either said $584, or that all three divide $1750 (rounding it off).
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Shows with good cents
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2007, 03:12:48 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'142102\' date=\'Jan 3 2007, 11:16 PM\']
[quote name=\'ActualRetailMike\' post=\'142046\' date=\'Jan 3 2007, 07:47 PM\'][/quote]
Wow, you'd think someone who named himself after a TPiR term would know the show a little better.
[/quote]
Just like the morons who are on the show that say "I've watched the show since I was 2!!!" and then manage to foul up the showcase showdown.

As for the topic itself, DJ Dumovich states on his Sale of the Century page that the mystery money would sometimes be a prize such as "75 cents".
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 03:17:35 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Kevin Prather

Shows with good cents
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2007, 07:40:29 PM »
How about Deal or No Deal?

BrandonFG

Shows with good cents
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2007, 07:52:28 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'142184\' date=\'Jan 4 2007, 07:40 PM\']
[/quote]
Klauss mentioned the penny.
http://gameshow.ipbhost.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=142067
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Kevin Prather

Shows with good cents
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2007, 07:53:15 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'142192\' date=\'Jan 4 2007, 04:52 PM\']
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'142184\' date=\'Jan 4 2007, 07:40 PM\']
[/quote]
Klauss mentioned the penny.
http://gameshow.ipbhost.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=142067
[/quote]
Damn it all to...and I doublechecked too. How did I miss that?

Mea culpa.

Gus

Shows with good cents
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2007, 12:51:16 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'142119\' date=\'Jan 4 2007, 09:02 AM\']
Another is the rare three-way tie on Tattletales--cents weren't on the readouts, but I seem to remember Bert saying each section divided $583.33.

He may have said that once (I probably didn't see every instance where it occurred), but most of the time he either said $584, or that all three divide $1750 (rounding it off).
[/quote]

I actually seem to recall him saying something to the effect that they'd be generous and round up to give each section an additional $334. Of course, I'd be one to think that the prize was certainly divided into dollars and cents for each audience member's payout... anyone know the average attendance of each section, and thus, the average payout? And also, wouldn't it be more advantageous to come in the morning where you get paid for three shows instead of two?

(Yes, I know this doesn't really matter considering the program in question has been off the air for a quarter century, but than again, does this thread really matter? :-P )

Jay Temple

Shows with good cents
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2007, 12:57:52 AM »
I have a faint recollection of seeing the winnings for a Concentration champion shown as $xx,xxx.xx.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 12:58:05 AM by Jay Temple »
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Ian Wallis

Shows with good cents
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2007, 08:48:50 AM »
Of course, I'd be one to think that the prize was certainly divided into dollars and cents for each audience member's payout... anyone know the average attendance of each section, and thus, the average payout? And also, wouldn't it be more advantageous to come in the morning where you get paid for three shows instead of two?

Bert mentioned it a few times...I think it was 122 people per section.  If you were in the winning section and split $1400, that would be about $12-13 per person for that game.

I think a lot of the time they only taped two shows in the morning and three in the afternoon - sometimes you could tell by which section each couple was in on any given show.  Once they started doing the syndie version in '77, it was likely three and three.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Shows with good cents
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2007, 03:12:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'142236\' date=\'Jan 5 2007, 12:57 AM\']
I have a faint recollection of seeing the winnings for a Concentration champion shown as $xx,xxx.xx.
[/quote]

Yeah, I was just about to mention the Christmas Concentration specials.

Celebrities would match dollar amounts to donate to CARE (ex. $699.66 or $99.99 on the special I have on tape).
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

DrBear

Shows with good cents
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2007, 03:50:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'142249\' date=\'Jan 5 2007, 07:48 AM\']
Bert mentioned it a few times...I think it was 122 people per section.  If you were in the winning section and split $1400, that would be about $12-13 per person for that game.

I think a lot of the time they only taped two shows in the morning and three in the afternoon - sometimes you could tell by which section each couple was in on any given show.  Once they started doing the syndie version in '77, it was likely three and three. [/quote]

According to Mark Evanier's Old TV Tickets site on Tattletales, it was 122. He adds this:

The show paid off then and there: As audience members left, they were handed a check from an automatic check-writing machine. Each "rooting section" had 122 people in it, and the winning celebrity couple's section might split around $1200 while the losing couples might each have earned $300-$400 for their section. So if you went and sat through the taping of a few episodes, you might take home twenty bucks -- not a huge amount, but twenty bucks more than any other show paid you to sit there and applaud. There were homeless folks in the area who went to Tattletales tapings and made enough money to eat for a few days and there were merchants located around CBS who put up signs that said, "We cash Tattletales checks."
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.