Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Twenty Greatest Game Show Announcers  (Read 28784 times)

PYLW

The Twenty Greatest Game Show Announcers
« on: January 02, 2007, 02:10:09 PM »
I'm thinking of setting up one of these. Voting would be the same as the process used for the greatest hosts and shows. Would there be enough interest in people voting, or are you all against it? I'd be in charge of the vote counting, and such.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 02:10:27 PM by PYLW »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 02:44:23 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'141914\' date=\'Jan 2 2007, 11:10 AM\']
I'm thinking of setting up one of these. Voting would be the same as the process used for the greatest hosts and shows. Would there be enough interest in people voting, or are you all against it? I'd be in charge of the vote counting, and such.
[/quote]
I'm not sure why it would be remotely interesting after about #5.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 02:50:24 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'141915\' date=\'Jan 2 2007, 02:44 PM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]

I might go a tick further, maybe putting the number around 8...but you're right, after that, there really is no point.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 03:35:10 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'141917\' date=\'Jan 2 2007, 01:50 PM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'141915\' date=\'Jan 2 2007, 02:44 PM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]

I might go a tick further, maybe putting the number around 8...but you're right, after that, there really is no point.
[/quote]
I could prolly come up with 10.  But 20's way too extreme.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 04:06:56 PM »
Thing is, I see no reason not to do it.  it certainly does no harm, and there might be some who get a kick out of it.  I for one will be interested in seeing it work from the outside of the process for once.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 04:29:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'141923\' date=\'Jan 2 2007, 03:06 PM\']
Thing is, I see no reason not to do it.  it certainly does no harm, and there might be some who get a kick out of it.  I for one will be interested in seeing it work from the outside of the process for once.
[/quote]
Well, when you see people such as "Henry J" and Tiffany Phillips be included on a list of "greatest" announcers, perhaps people will change their minds about a list of 20.  I'd be in favor of approximately eight as well.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Don Howard

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 04:46:20 PM »
Sure, go for it. Set it up and I'll play. I've been hoping this would come up.
Summoning twenty names and comparing those to what the crowd brings to the countdown would be most interesting.
Will Don Pardo rank higher than Harvey? Gene Wood higher than John Harlan? Burning questions indeed.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 04:49:08 PM by Don Howard »

clemon79

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 04:49:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'141923\' date=\'Jan 2 2007, 01:06 PM\']
[/quote]
Oh, yeah, there's no reason not to, absolutely. But I would bet that he gets more participation if he cut it down to 10 rather than ask people to decide whether Ernie Anastos was better than The Disembodied Voice Of Ron Maestri.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 04:59:38 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'141928\' date=\'Jan 2 2007, 03:49 PM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'141923\' date=\'Jan 2 2007, 01:06 PM\']
[/quote]
Oh, yeah, there's no reason not to, absolutely. But I would bet that he gets more participation if he cut it down to 10 rather than ask people to decide whether Ernie Anastos was better than The Disembodied Voice Of Ron Maestri.
[/quote]
Here's how I would do it.  We submit a list of no more than five.  Then Josh can still compile a list of as many as he wants (whether it be the top 20 or top 10 or whatever).

Wasn't Anastos the news anchor and Anderson (the Luuuuh-ve Boat) the announcer?
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 05:04:33 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'141929\' date=\'Jan 2 2007, 01:59 PM\']
Wasn't Anastos the news anchor and Anderson (the Luuuuh-ve Boat) the announcer?
[/quote]
Yeah, but I thought I remembered reading someplace that he announced for Break The Bank for a while.

I could also be high on crack, too.

EDIT: Upon further review....yep. High on crack. Never mind.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 05:05:35 PM by clemon79 »

FeudDude

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 05:10:56 PM »
I think it would be reasonable to allow the voters to list up to 10 announcers.  Then, like with the hosts list, you can list all of the announcers who got more than one vote.

Scrabbleship

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 05:26:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'141924\' date=\'Jan 2 2007, 04:29 PM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'141923\' date=\'Jan 2 2007, 03:06 PM\']
[/quote]
Well, when you see people such as "Henry J" and Tiffany Phillips be included on a list of "greatest" announcers, perhaps people will change their minds about a list of 20.  I'd be in favor of approximately eight as well.
[/quote]

Echoing others, I'm for rounding it up to 10. Makes it nice and even, especially since past 15 things start to get murky.

PYLW

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 05:52:18 PM »
Yeah, I'm starting to think that 20 will be a bit much. I personally would rather not see some certain announcers on a TOP list of anything. Would ten be much better?

HairMetalLives

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 06:24:51 PM »
I think ten would do the trick.

Count me in!

TimK2003

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 07:13:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'141927\' date=\'Jan 2 2007, 05:46 PM\']
Sure, go for it. Set it up and I'll play. I've been hoping this would come up.
Summoning twenty names and comparing those to what the crowd brings to the countdown would be most interesting.
Will Don Pardo rank higher than Harvey? Gene Wood higher than John Harlan? Burning questions indeed.
[/quote]

Never mind them people, the real question is:  Is Edgar better than Malcolm???  THAT'S The Question!!! :-P