Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Twenty Greatest Game Show Announcers  (Read 28760 times)

Don Howard

The Twenty Greatest Game Show Announcers
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2007, 07:08:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'142029\' date=\'Jan 3 2007, 06:43 PM\']
Something that people might overlook (or even might not know) is that Todd Russell announced WDYT for a while between Bill Nimmo and Ed McMahon.
[/quote]
I'll be resubmitting then. Thank you, Jimmy.
That'll knock Ed Reimers off of my list.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 07:09:32 PM by Don Howard »

TimK2003

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2007, 07:09:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'142025\' date=\'Jan 3 2007, 07:09 PM\']
"Huge" is the perfect word to describe Ernie Anderson's impact during his Cleveland days. And I'm not even from Parma (that's for you, Northern Ohioans). He and Tim Conway and the best announcer in Cleveland TV John FitzGerald made a whale of a team in that broadcasting era.
[/quote]

Don't forget that Phil McLean also had a big set of pipes back in the day -- made Ernie sound like Mickey Mouse.

And yes I'm part Polish, I have lived in Parma 2 different times in my life and I've got the white socks and the Pink Flamingo in the yard to prove it -- though I never shelled out the extra money to get one of them colored crystal balls nor the statue of Mary for the front yard.

And for those who lived in Middleburg Hts. or North Royalton in the 60s & 70s, you had to have a lawn jockey along the driveway to be cool!

Don Howard

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2007, 07:18:42 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'142031\' date=\'Jan 3 2007, 07:09 PM\']
I have lived in Parma 2 different times in my life and I've got the white socks and the Pink Flamingo in the yard to prove it [/quote]
Did you ever invite Paul Wilcox over to play polkas during a lawn-sprinkling party?
In the Slovak area of Lakewood, those were the living end.

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2007, 08:04:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'142029\' date=\'Jan 3 2007, 05:43 PM\']
One question before voting: How do you spell Holenriech?
[/quote]

Well, I can say that the "I before E" rule don't apply here.....

I don't blame you for picking him. His jolly voice really fit well on Wood BTC, but as for Mad Dash........wow.

And if we're counting Canadian-based announcers, I'll throw Dean "Talkabout" Hill into the ring.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 08:05:20 PM by Chief-O »

PYLW

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2007, 09:03:49 PM »
Yeah...forgot about that deadline, sorry. The deadline for voting is January 20th.

Do tell me if that is too early or too late. I think seventeen days is adequate enough to get your ballots ready. :)

Already have gotten quite a few entries, with even someone sending me a list of twenty.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2007, 05:10:45 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'142030\' date=\'Jan 3 2007, 04:08 PM\']
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'142029\' date=\'Jan 3 2007, 06:43 PM\']
Something that people might overlook (or even might not know) is that Todd Russell announced WDYT for a while between Bill Nimmo and Ed McMahon.
[/quote]
I'll be resubmitting then. Thank you, Jimmy.
That'll knock Ed Reimers off of my list.
[/quote]
Thanks for reminding me to vote for Bill Nimmo. And don't forget to vote for Bill McCord and Ralph Paul. Or Bern Bennett.

davemackey

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2007, 05:28:32 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'142112\' date=\'Jan 4 2007, 05:10 AM\']
Thanks for reminding me to vote for Bill Nimmo. And don't forget to vote for Bill McCord and Ralph Paul. Or Bern Bennett.
[/quote]
Can we vote for Fred Saxon? PLEEEEZE?

Don Howard

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2007, 02:46:40 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'142114\' date=\'Jan 4 2007, 05:28 AM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]
If this isn't a cry to open up the balloting for the top twenty, I don't know what is.
I loved Fred. He was the best. I was deeply saddened when he died, if he's dead.
Who is he?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2007, 03:00:50 PM »
One word: Olmec.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2007, 03:08:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'142146\' date=\'Jan 4 2007, 02:46 PM\']
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'142114\' date=\'Jan 4 2007, 05:28 AM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]
If this isn't a cry to open up the balloting for the top twenty, I don't know what is.
I loved Fred. He was the best. I was deeply saddened when he died, if he's dead.
Who is he?
[/quote]

I think he's still alive, but he worked on a Goodson show and said the immortal words..."Bill Cullen."  One of the few guys to make the jump from CNN to Goodson.

This should be an interesting poll because it's all about the quality of the performer rather than the quality of the show.  I'd be willing to bet that the announcer for what is universally regarded as the "worst game show ever" will be our choice for the best announcer ever.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 03:19:20 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

cweaver

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2007, 03:23:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'142153\' date=\'Jan 4 2007, 04:08 PM\']
 I'd be willing to bet that the announcer for what is universally regarded as the "worst game show ever" will be our choice for the best announcer ever.
[/quote]

Well it wasn't his fault it tanked.  He may have been the best part of the show and his intro to show #2 is very memorable.

That is, if we're talking about the same show/person.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2007, 04:04:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'142153\' date=\'Jan 4 2007, 03:08 PM\']I'd be willing to bet that the announcer for what is universally regarded as the "worst game show ever" will be our choice for the best announcer ever.
[/quote]
While the show of which you speak is historically notable for its brief run, I'm not sure anybody except The Great One himself would regard it as the worst game show ever.  I'd be willing to bet that in the Invision group of that era, several of us would have pointed to the show's positive qualities (especially those of us who are predisposed to like panel shows), just as some of us have done for The Rich List.

You're right about the announcer, although he wasn't my #1 choice.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2007, 04:18:54 PM »
While the show of which you speak is historically notable for its brief run, I'm not sure anybody except The Great One himself would regard it as the worst game show ever. I'd be willing to bet that in the Invision group of that era, several of us would have pointed to the show's positive qualities (especially those of us who are predisposed to like panel shows), just as some of us have done for The Rich List.

I think I know what our next poll should be - The Worst Game Shows of All Time.  While we've been focusing a lot on the best (which is always a good thing to do), we've never really focused too much on the worst.  It might be interesting to see what we as a group come up with.

Just a thought  :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 04:19:18 PM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2007, 10:18:23 PM »
Even if you mean it entirely tongue in cheek Ian, I just want it out there I think it's a bad idea. Not that my opinion alone matters in the grand scheme of things, but you may have noticed some weird omissions from  ballots in the Best GS poll simply because people never saw such-and-such a show. I assume we'd get a list declaring certain shows bad only because the community gave them such a bad rap over the years. Given how much better TTD 90 looked than it was given any credit for here when I caught it at POC (still not saying much), and how utterly bad "Boggle" was when I got it in a trade...

Top 10 announcers by comparison looks terrific, but still not a grand idea.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2007, 10:24:14 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'142210\' date=\'Jan 4 2007, 09:18 PM\']
Not that my opinion alone matters in the grand scheme of things, but you may have noticed some weird omissions from  ballots in the Best GS poll simply because people never saw such-and-such a show.[/quote]
Would you rather have a show not voted on because they'd never seen it, or have someone say "I've never seen Blockbusters, but tons of game show pages say it is a good show. I rate it #5!
--Mark
Phil 4:13