Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: John Ritter Tribute  (Read 8911 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
John Ritter Tribute
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2003, 11:31:14 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Sep 17 2003, 08:18 AM\'] Yes, that song was No. 1 on the Hot 100  for 10 weeks leading up to Christmas 1977.  At that time it tied the record for longest run at No. 1 - it has since been broken.
 [/quote]
 I'd be interested in knowing what holds the record now. The \"We Are The World\" craze didn't run that long. I know Tone Loc's \"Wild Thing\" is in Guinness (or was when last I looked) for beating out \"White Christmas\" for biggest sales of a single.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

John Ritter Tribute
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2003, 12:54:45 PM »
Biggest *sales* of a single belongs to Elton John for his reworked \"Candle In the Wind\" tribute to Diana.  But if it's a question of how many *weeks* something was #1, the Diana tribute probably doesn't make it.

Anybody got the Whitburn book handy?  It's got to be something older, musical interests change too quickly anymore for a single to stay atop the charts for too long.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

splinkynip

John Ritter Tribute
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2003, 01:23:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 17 2003, 12:54 PM\'] Biggest *sales* of a single belongs to Elton John for his reworked "Candle In the Wind" tribute to Diana.  But if it's a question of how many *weeks* something was #1, the Diana tribute probably doesn't make it.

. [/quote]
 \"One Sweet Day\" from Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men hold that record - I believe 16 weeks (or 14) at #1.

Ian Wallis

John Ritter Tribute
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2003, 02:11:14 PM »
In terms of weeks at No. 1, here are the longest runs:

\"One Sweet Day\" (Boyz II Men, Mariah Carey) - 16 weeks at No. 1
\"Macarena\" (Los Del Rio) - 14 weeks
\"Candle in the Wind 1997\" (Elton John) - 14 weeks
\"I'll Make Love to You\" (Boyz II Men) - 14 weeks
\"I'll Always Love You\" (Whitney Houston) - 13 weeks
\"End of the Road\" (Boyz II Men) - 13 weeks
\"Smooth\" (Rob Thomas/Santana) - 12 weeks
\"The Boy is Mine\" (Monica/Brandy) - 12 weeks
\"I Swear\" (All-4-One) - 11 weeks

plus a bunch of songs with 10 weeks.  This was done off the top fo my head - but I don't think I've forgotten anything.

In terms of worldwide sales, the Elton John single is it.  I believe \"White Christmas\" is still in second place - I wasn't aware of the Guinness mention for Tone Loc, but I'd be surprised if it beat out Bing Crosby.

The biggest selling album ever is still Michael Jackson's \"Thriller\".

Someone should make a game show out of all of this......wait a minute - somebody did - \"Rock N Roll Jeopardy\"!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

tommycharles

John Ritter Tribute
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2003, 03:18:19 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Sep 15 2003, 04:40 PM\'] [quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Sep 14 2003, 03:21 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Sep 14 2003, 12:50 PM\'] [quote name=\'HSquares2003\' date=\'Sep 12 2003, 09:49 PM\']Was this All Star Feud from the '70s? I seem to remember them running one like that on the Friday night vertivision blocks last fall.[/quote]
That would be it. [/quote]
As a matter of fact, the episode in question was the VERY FIRST 'All-Star FF' they did on May 8, 1978.[/quote]
With Dawson's opening remark, "I'm happy to say that this is one special where you will *not* hear 'You Light Up My Life.'"

Those of us who lived through that period of time know where he's coming from. [/quote]
 Wasn't that also the ep. where Dawson made the comment about \"you'll know how we play unless you've been living on Mars or in Nome\"?

uncamark

John Ritter Tribute
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2003, 03:40:58 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Sep 17 2003, 02:18 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Sep 15 2003, 04:40 PM\']
As a matter of fact, the episode in question was the VERY FIRST 'All-Star FF' they did on May 8, 1978.[/QUOTE]
With Dawson's opening remark, \"I'm happy to say that this is one special where you will *not* hear 'You Light Up My Life.'\"

Those of us who lived through that period of time know where he's coming from. [/QUOTE]
Wasn't that also the ep. where Dawson made the comment about \"you'll know how we play unless you've been living on Mars or in Nome\"?[/QUOTE]
He said something to that effect--but went ahead and did a quick premise for those who had never seen the show before (after all, the nighttime version was on the evil NBC-owned stations in major markets, not ABC-owned stations).

Ritter highlight--his flirting with Diana Canova at the Face-Off podium.  Back then, I would've wanted to be in his place--even if a little hippie chick, she was hot back then.  (And very few people remember that she was a pretty good singer, too--what *has* she done since \"Throb?\")