Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: For alternatives to Game Show Network...  (Read 9115 times)

dheine1971

For alternatives to Game Show Network...
« on: September 12, 2003, 04:00:11 PM »
For alternatives to Game Show Network classic game shows, have you ever checked out if available on digital cable or satillite:
A) Nickelodeon GAS - Games and Sports for Kids, which airs classic Nickelodeon kids game shows of the 1980's and 1990's like Double Dare, Finders Keepers, Think Fast, Nick Arcade, and Figure it Out (There's also a weekly 1 hour video games block and airings of a 1990's Nickelodeon sitcom called \"Salute Your Shorts\" and current Nicktoon \"Rocket Power\")
B) 1983-1984 \"Starcade\" reruns on G4 - variously hosted by Mark Richards and Geoff Edwards. (G4 is losing some shows to Game Show Network for its new weekend video games block this November)

uncamark

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2003, 06:35:42 PM »
[quote name=\'dheine1971\' date=\'Sep 12 2003, 03:00 PM\']For alternatives to Game Show Network classic game shows, have you ever checked out if available on digital cable or satillite:
A) Nickelodeon GAS - Games and Sports for Kids, which airs classic Nickelodeon kids game shows of the 1980's and 1990's like Double Dare, Finders Keepers, Think Fast, Nick Arcade, and Figure it Out (There's also a weekly 1 hour video games block and airings of a 1990's Nickelodeon sitcom called \"Salute Your Shorts\" and current Nicktoon \"Rocket Power\")
B) 1983-1984 \"Starcade\" reruns on G4 - variously hosted by Mark Richards and Geoff Edwards. (G4 is losing some shows to Game Show Network for its new weekend video games block this November)[/quote]
I beat you, Chris--

Ever heard of Chuck Woolery leaving \"Wheel?\"

dheine1971

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2003, 10:47:36 AM »
And what's more on classic game shows on Nick GAS and Starcade reruns on G4: No split screens and no speed ups! They mostly even keep classic prize/fee plugs intact with no shrinkage!

Also: G4 also carries \"Arena\", a UK game show import called \"Hi Score\", and part game/part travel \"Game On\".

Nick GAS shows between commercial breaks game and sport related shorts and sometimes Nick GAS show promos, no commercials, just like Noggin and Disney Channel do (mostly Disney Channel shows promos during commercial breaks except for its Playhouse Disney shows).
« Last Edit: September 18, 2003, 02:56:13 PM by dheine1971 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2003, 12:11:18 PM »
[quote name=\'dheine1971\' date=\'Sep 15 2003, 07:47 AM\'] And what's more on classic game shows on Nick GAS and Starcade reruns on G4: No split screens and no speed ups!
 [/quote]
 I dunno if I've made this observation here yet, but watching a couple episodes of Starcade on G4 reminded me of just how horribly broken the format was. I realize both players played the same three games, but if one player happened to be good at the two games with a lower scoring system than the third, the other player would often win the day with a strong performance in a game where the scoring was out of whack with relation to the other two.

I refuse to pay for my upgraded digital package with Nick GAS in it, because TechTV is on another tier, which means for the set I'd have to drop something like $10 extra a month. I might when I get around to getting an HDTV receiver, which may be soon now that the local Seattle channels are finally coming around and getting their HiDef signals to Comcast for distrubution.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

daveromanjr

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2003, 01:19:59 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 15 2003, 11:11 AM\']

I refuse to pay for my upgraded digital package with Nick GAS in it, because TechTV is on another tier, which means for the set I'd have to drop something like $10 extra a month. I might when I get around to getting an HDTV receiver, which may be soon now that the local Seattle channels are finally coming around and getting their HiDef signals to Comcast for distrubution. [/quote]
I had never even heard of NickGAS when I first got digital cable.  When I saw the listings for double dare, get the picture, finders keepers, etc., I flipped and was pretty upset when it said I was not authorized to view this channel.  But, like you, I didn't feel like paying another $10 a month to get it.  But I did later, when I got the next package up to get HBO (at that time, since it was AT&T and I also had cable internet, it was only about $3 more a month -- Comcast said that I am now stuck in that package.  If I wanted to change it, my rates would go back to the normal cost since they said they do not offer any discounts since I already have their internet.  Comcast is terrible sometimes in service and price, but that's another topic altogether).

I think I watch NickGAS more than GSN now.  Its a little frustrating since they don't have commercials that the shows usually aren't on time with the listings, but hey I can live with that.  Besides, it can't get any better watching Pumping Gas (which shows 5 [or is it 6] shows in 2 hours with no commercials) that includes DD, FK, GTP and FIO.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2003, 01:20:09 PM by daveromanjr »

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2003, 06:05:27 PM »
I think I watch NickGAS more than GSN now.

You're not alone.

DD, FK, GTP and FIO.

Really? From what I've seen it's Hidden Temple, FK, DD, GUTS, and FIO. I've never seen GTP in there [but one of the racecars in the promo has Nick Arcade's logo on it...go figure]

I dunno if I've made this observation here yet, but watching a couple episodes of Starcade on G4 reminded me of just how horribly broken the format was.

The one problem I had with Starcade. They should've had 5 games that all had average scores in the same range. It'd be kinda hard to pull off, put it certainly could have been done.

But you actually GET G4. I don't. :-(

clemon79

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2003, 07:06:42 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Sep 15 2003, 03:05 PM\'] The one problem I had with Starcade. They should've had 5 games that all had average scores in the same range. It'd be kinda hard to pull off, put it certainly could have been done.

[/quote]
 Wouldn't be hard at all, actually. They already had the data, since they allegedly matched up opponents based on relative skill (although we saw how well THAT worked out in practice). It would have been a simple matter to use the information they already had to figure out an average score for each game, group 'em into low, medium, high (or something along those lines), and just make sure games were from the same group.

Now, it's POSSIBLE that they did this on purpose as a strategic twist...give the player an opportunity to tip the scales in his or her favor if they knew enough about a game to know how it scored, but based on the rest of the production I'm pretty sure the concept simply didn't occur to them.

But you actually GET G4. I don't. :-(

I'll rub it in further: I never watch the flippin' thing. The interesting shows are few and far between, I don't like Starcade, and too many shows are about RPG-type games (which I DESPISE), or are half-hours of video game intro and cutscene movies set to sleep-inducing New Age music. I can get THAT at work. :)

Do they even HAVE a sports game show on that channel? That mighta saved me $50 on ESPN NHL Hockey... :)

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2003, 07:13:11 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 15 2003, 07:06 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Sep 15 2003, 03:05 PM\'] The one problem I had with Starcade. They should've had 5 games that all had average scores in the same range. It'd be kinda hard to pull off, put it certainly could have been done.

[/quote]
Wouldn't be hard at all, actually. They already had the data, since they allegedly matched up opponents based on relative skill (although we saw how well THAT worked out in practice). It would have been a simple matter to use the information they already had to figure out an average score for each game, group 'em into low, medium, high (or something along those lines), and just make sure games were from the same group.

Now, it's POSSIBLE that they did this on purpose as a strategic twist...give the player an opportunity to tip the scales in his or her favor if they knew enough about a game to know how it scored, but based on the rest of the production I'm pretty sure the concept simply didn't occur to them.

[/quote]
True....Jim Caruso, the producer/director of Starcade, is a contributor to the G4 boards. I'll ask this question over there and see what I find out.

I'll rub it in further: I never watch the flippin' thing. 

Looks to me like there's not much good stuff on there either, but I like Starcade, so it's good enough for me.

Do they even HAVE a sports game show on that channel? That mighta saved me $50 on ESPN NHL Hockey... :)

Which channel? If you're referring to Nick GAS, there is GUTS...if you can put up with Mike O' Malley's caffeine high. :-)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2003, 07:13:24 PM by PeterMarshallFan »

clemon79

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2003, 09:44:16 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Sep 15 2003, 04:13 PM\'] Which channel? If you're referring to Nick GAS, there is GUTS...if you can put up with Mike O' Malley's caffeine high. :-) [/quote]
 Nono, G4...a whole show on sports video games might be worth my occasional time.

daveromanjr

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2003, 10:15:42 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Sep 15 2003, 05:05 PM\']
DD, FK, GTP and FIO.

Really? From what I've seen it's Hidden Temple, FK, DD, GUTS, and FIO. I've never seen GTP in there [but one of the racecars in the promo has Nick Arcade's logo on it...go figure] [/quote]
They had GTP in the Pumpin Gas during the last schedule (when they still aired WWYD?), I believe.  Same with Nick Arcade.

Actually, the more I think about it, Nick Arcade was in Pumping Gas during the current schedule change, but dropped it.

Its best to watch DD during the pumping gas... the show is great without commercials (then again, which show isn't).
« Last Edit: September 15, 2003, 10:15:59 PM by daveromanjr »

JMFabiano

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2003, 09:16:17 AM »
[quote name=\'dheine1971\' date=\'Sep 15 2003, 09:47 AM\'] And what's more on classic game shows on Nick GAS and Starcade reruns on G4: No split screens and no speed ups! They mostly even keep classic pize/fee plugs intact with no shrinkage!
 [/quote]
 Actually, I have a clip of a DD rerun from GAS, as a bonus on one of my Closing Logo Group (uh-oh, I said the \"L-word\"!)Megamix tapes.  It was the overview of the Obstacle Cource, and most of the prize descriptions were cut out.  Is this still the case today?

J.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

inturnaround

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2003, 10:23:26 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 15 2003, 08:44 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Sep 15 2003, 04:13 PM\'] Which channel? If you're referring to Nick GAS, there is GUTS...if you can put up with Mike O' Malley's caffeine high. :-) [/quote]
Nono, G4...a whole show on sports video games might be worth my occasional time. [/quote]
 Yes, it's called \"Sweat\". It's not a bad show.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

clemon79

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2003, 11:45:54 AM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Sep 16 2003, 07:23 AM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 15 2003, 08:44 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Sep 15 2003, 04:13 PM\'] Which channel? If you're referring to Nick GAS, there is GUTS...if you can put up with Mike O' Malley's caffeine high. :-) [/quote]
Nono, G4...a whole show on sports video games might be worth my occasional time. [/quote]
Yes, it's called "Sweat". It's not a bad show. [/quote]
 Well, I'll haveta have a look out for it, then. Thanks!

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2003, 05:21:40 PM »
According to Caruso, the Starcade games were indeed left with a variety of possible scores as strategy for the players. Now we know.

ObGameShow: H2 is, uh.....you know.

clemon79

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2003, 08:53:51 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Sep 17 2003, 02:21 PM\'] According to Caruso, the Starcade games were indeed left with a variety of possible scores as strategy for the players. Now we know.
 [/quote]
 Huh. Well, score one for them.