Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Show Has SOLD!  (Read 6568 times)

Jimmy Owen

The Show Has SOLD!
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2006, 09:33:38 PM »
Trade ads in Broadcasting mag had Art Linkletter hosting IGAS '72.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
The Show Has SOLD!
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2006, 09:51:01 PM »
The Gong Show," anyone?

I don't think that counts. Gary Owens hosted the pilot and was given the syndicated nighttime version.

--Jamie
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 09:51:24 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

Steve Gavazzi

The Show Has SOLD!
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2006, 09:52:34 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'139658\' date=\'Dec 5 2006, 04:36 PM\']
D: Would Mike Burger now have a better chance to host TPIR?
[/quote]

After this Friday?  An optimistic "maybe."  Right now?  No.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
The Show Has SOLD!
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2006, 10:42:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'139669\' date=\'Dec 5 2006, 05:49 PM\']
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'139651\' date=\'Dec 5 2006, 03:57 PM\']
Do we dare count Kookie?[/quote]

I don't think so, because Chuck hosted the pilot before that, and I thought this was supposed to be a list of hosts who didn't host a pilot.

/Source, for your edification
[/quote]

Then obviously we can't count Kookie.

I doubly withdraw the question.

/How in the world did you come up with that correction?  I don't think I'd ever seen any source indicating Woolery had been tabbed a year beforehand to host a pilot.  Is the knowledge that common and I blew it?

Doug -- and the countdown to 2500 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
The Show Has SOLD!
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2006, 11:07:49 PM »
 I don't think I'd ever seen any source indicating Woolery had been tabbed a year beforehand to host a pilot. Is the knowledge that common and I blew it?

Over the years, there've been some common inaccuracies with regard to the pre-series history of 'Wheel.' Byrnes' never hosted a pilot called Shopper's Bazaar  Simply put, Woolery hosted the Shopper's Bazaar pilot, but Byrnes hosted the subsequent pilot under the new title Wheel of Fortune .

I personally consider Shopper's Bazaar to be an unsold pilot. Dreadful and rightfully so branded a turkey.
Byrnes' pilot is the one that sold with the condition that Woolery returned as host.
That would still technically make you correct, Doug. Byrnes hosted the pilot to Wheel of Fortune , but Woolery got the series.

--Jamie
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 11:15:10 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
The Show Has SOLD!
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2006, 12:05:04 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'139712\' date=\'Dec 5 2006, 10:07 PM\']
Over the years, there've been some common inaccuracies with regard to the pre-series history of 'Wheel.' Byrnes' never hosted a pilot called Shopper's Bazaar  Simply put, Woolery hosted the Shopper's Bazaar pilot, but Byrnes hosted the subsequent pilot under the new title Wheel of Fortune .

I personally consider Shopper's Bazaar to be an unsold pilot. Dreadful and rightfully so branded a turkey.
Byrnes' pilot is the one that sold with the condition that Woolery returned as host.
That would still technically make you correct, Doug. Byrnes hosted the pilot to Wheel of Fortune , but Woolery got the series.
[/quote]
Thanks for the clarification, Jamie.  Of course, that makes me correct but for the wrong reason, as I thought Kookie had hosted the SHOPPER'S BAZAAR pilot, which then evolved into Woolery's WHEEL.  One out of two ain't bad.

I can see it now--"I've been following your career for years, Chuck, and I know you never hosted a possible pilot of WHEEL OF FORTUNE."  :)

Doug -- and the countdown to 2500 continues
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 12:06:32 AM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Jimmy Owen

The Show Has SOLD!
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2006, 12:34:37 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'139700\' date=\'Dec 5 2006, 09:51 PM\']
The Gong Show," anyone?

I don't think that counts. Gary Owens hosted the pilot and was given the syndicated nighttime version.

--Jamie
[/quote]

They probably were referring to John Barbour.

Another instance from the EOTVGS:  Bob Maxwell was announced as host of the 1964 CBS show "Made in America." When the show hit the air Hans Conreid had replaced Maxwell.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

mmb5

The Show Has SOLD!
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2006, 07:51:10 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'139658\' date=\'Dec 5 2006, 04:36 PM\']
D: Would Mike Burger now have a better chance to host TPIR?
[/quote]
I didn't know I was in the running.

--Mike (the other guy uses 'Michael' professionally)
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

tvwxman

The Show Has SOLD!
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2006, 08:13:03 AM »
Here's one....

In 1991, A Syndicated "Scrabble" was being shopped for Fall 1992, with host Steve Edwards (yes, of "Get Rich Quick" and "Good Day Live" fame)... pictures in "Broadcasting and Cable" had pilot photos of Edwards hosting from the newer set....for some reason unbeknownst to me, it didn't sell....

Until NBC picked it up with "Scattergories" for January 1993, with original host Chuck Woolery....
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Ian Wallis

The Show Has SOLD!
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2006, 09:04:11 AM »
In 1991, A Syndicated "Scrabble" was being shopped for Fall 1992, with host Steve Edwards (yes, of "Get Rich Quick" and "Good Day Live" fame)... pictures in "Broadcasting and Cable" had pilot photos of Edwards hosting from the newer set....for some reason unbeknownst to me, it didn't sell....

In fact, Steve Edwards is even mentioned in a Fall Preview TVGuide as hosting a new version of Scrabble...but IIRC, TVGuide listed it as being on the USA network.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

bricon

The Show Has SOLD!
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2006, 11:36:39 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'139655\' date=\'Dec 5 2006, 04:18 PM\']
Also, I remember Marc Summers originally being tapped for the Squares 98 position, but did he ever host a pilot?
[/quote]

No pilot was ever taped.  Though we did have a studio booked (NBC studio 1) , a tape date scheduled, and a set designed (different from what ended up being used).

After the deal with the CBS O&O's was announced, it was decided that with those clearances, it would be better to save the money by not doing a pilot, and instead do a sales tape.  As I recall, no official announcement was ever made of Marc hosting.  There was a mention in the trade papers that he was rumored to host.

Marc covers this in his book.

The Ol' Guy

The Show Has SOLD!
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2006, 01:12:40 PM »
And leave us not forget Jack Clark. Geez, how many pilots did he do? Now could you count George Fenneman for the Crosswords pilots that eventually became CrossWits, or is that another Byrnes/Bazaar comparison?

mmb5

The Show Has SOLD!
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2006, 04:05:13 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' post=\'139763\' date=\'Dec 6 2006, 01:12 PM\']
And leave us not forget Jack Clark. Geez, how many pilots did he do? Now could you count George Fenneman for the Crosswords pilots that eventually became CrossWits, or is that another Byrnes/Bazaar comparison?
[/quote]
Plus there was another guy whose name escapes me now between Fenneman and Clark.  I have an old trade ad for it at home.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

uncamark

The Show Has SOLD!
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2006, 04:38:07 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' post=\'139763\' date=\'Dec 6 2006, 12:12 PM\']
[/quote]

Wasn't "Crossword" from a different packager than Ralph Edwards?  Jerry Payne, the credited creator of "Cross-Wits," was a writer for "T or C" for Barker's entire stint on the show and I would assume that anything he did on the side would at least pass by Edwards first.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 04:38:32 PM by uncamark »

HYHYBT

The Show Has SOLD!
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2006, 02:42:07 PM »
ere's one....

Until NBC picked it up with "Scattergories" for January 1993, with original host Chuck Woolery....
OT, but...

You mean they had that set for TWO YEARS and still couldn't get it to work until well after the show was on the air?
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages