Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR Book?  (Read 3207 times)

Bob Zager

TPIR Book?
« on: December 04, 2006, 08:20:47 PM »
While doing a search at amazon.com, I found listed a book titled "The Price is Right," by Stan Blitz, with a release date of August 1, 2007; from Harper Paperbacks.

Does anyone know if it is about the show, in honor of its longevity and Bob Barker's retirement from the show?

tvrandywest

TPIR Book?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 09:21:50 PM »
Stan is indeed writing a book celebrating the show, and it should be a fun read. Stan has been there for years and has had his hands in everything from the music, to writing showcases, and now selecting contestants.

This will not be a trashy "tell all". There are rumored to have been a few other books in the works which were to take a different tone, but none has surfaced yet.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Matt Ottinger

TPIR Book?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 11:39:20 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'139568\' date=\'Dec 4 2006, 09:21 PM\']This will not be a trashy "tell all". There are rumored to have been a few other books in the works which were to take a different tone, but none has surfaced yet.[/quote]
My goodness, who could possibly have anything bad to say about the behind-the-scenes workings at Price?  

Seriously, as popular as the show is, I'm surprised there hasn't been a disgruntled model or even a PA with a contact in the book world to have come out with an expose of some sort.  As far as some of those "other books in the works" rumors go, I remember hearing about Janice wanting to publish something years ago to be called The Price Hasn't Always Been Right.  In fact, I think it was our OP in this thread who told me about it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

dzinkin

TPIR Book?
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 12:08:22 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'139586\' date=\'Dec 4 2006, 11:39 PM\']
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'139568\' date=\'Dec 4 2006, 09:21 PM\']This will not be a trashy "tell all". There are rumored to have been a few other books in the works which were to take a different tone, but none has surfaced yet.[/quote]
My goodness, who could possibly have anything bad to say about the behind-the-scenes workings at Price?  
[/quote]
Coming soon to Amazon.com...

Off the Tenure Track: Publish, Price or Perish by Professor Price
The Quicker They Rise, The Harder They Fall by Hans Gudegast
My Three Cents' Worth by Penny Ante
Trader Bob is an Indian Giver by Anonymous

...and everyone's favorite...

Slipping a Disc and Getting Pegged by Plink O. Chip

EDIT: I almost forgot Mike Klauss is Not My Love Child by Jay Wolpert.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 12:19:28 AM by dzinkin »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
TPIR Book?
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 12:12:39 AM »
It wouldn't surprise me if certain long-time former TPIR staffers or performers are bound by non-disparagement agreements not to write dish-the-dirt books about TPIR as part of their settlement of certain, um, "issues". That would explain why you've never seen such a book.

I am aware of a TPIR tell-all being written by a non-TPIR staffer. He has interviewed at least one very authoritative source who is free to speak. I suspect his book will emphasize Barker and his dealings with the models.

Stan came to work for G-T in January 1979, so I wouldn't expect to hear much about the Dennis James/Jay Wolpert era in his book.

cmjb13

TPIR Book?
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 07:02:25 AM »
Amazon incorrectly lists his name as Blitz.

When I was there last month, I saw Stan taking photos of contestants after the show. When asked what he was doing, he mentioned the book. There will be some mention of the history of the show, but it will primarily detail how the show works, his role, how the show is put together, etc...

Barker is scheduled to write the forward. And I also joked with him if he would dedicate the book to his #1 fan...me.

But seriously, I wish him well with it. I just hope I can get an autographed copy.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 07:02:46 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
TPIR Book?
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 09:01:09 AM »
I just hope I can get an autographed copy.
"To my friend Christopher, the one person I can count on never to testify against me in a deposition. -Bob"

That would make a nice inscription :-)

cmjb13

TPIR Book?
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 09:11:44 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'139611\' date=\'Dec 5 2006, 09:01 AM\']
I just hope I can get an autographed copy.
"To my friend Christopher, the one person I can count on never to testify against me in a deposition. -Bob"

That would make a nice inscription :-)
[/quote]
I should have clarified that sentence. I was joking with Stan about the dedication, not Barker.

But a funny line, none the less.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 09:15:47 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Bob Zager

TPIR Book?
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 07:32:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'139586\' date=\'Dec 4 2006, 11:39 PM\']
I remember hearing about Janice wanting to publish something years ago to be called The Price Hasn't Always Been Right.  In fact, I think it was our OP in this thread who told me about it.
[/quote]

I remember meeting Ms. Pennington, at a book signing in 1995, for her best-seller "Husband, Lover, Spy," and I asked her then about the other book, which at the time she'd said it was going to be released in 1996!

It never was released AFAIK.

ChuckNet

TPIR Book?
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 09:50:37 PM »
I remember meeting Ms. Pennington, at a book signing in 1995, for her best-seller "Husband, Lover, Spy," and I asked her then about the other book, which at the time she'd said it was going to be released in 1996!

It never was released AFAIK.

Nope...title was going to be The Price Hasn't Always Been Right, incidentally.

Also managed to snag an autographed copy of HLS, finding one on eBay a few yrs back...wonder how much our respective copies are worth now. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Matt Ottinger

TPIR Book?
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 10:35:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'139586\' date=\'Dec 4 2006, 11:39 PM\']I remember hearing about Janice wanting to publish something years ago to be called The Price Hasn't Always Been Right.  [/quote]
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' post=\'139819\' date=\'Dec 6 2006, 09:50 PM\']Nope...title was going to be The Price Hasn't Always Been Right, incidentally.[/quote]
OK, thanks Chuckie Baby!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.