Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WML? no longer "Live" from New York  (Read 1978 times)

GSFan

WML? no longer "Live" from New York
« on: November 28, 2006, 07:38:37 AM »
I realize that I am speaking about a TV show that is, at its youngest, almost 40 years old.  However, why did GSN remove the word "Live" from all the WML? broadcasts?

Happy Holidays

David
March 26, 2023 - 50 years of Pyramid!

DrBear

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 09:39:32 AM »
Since I don't have GSN any more, I can't tell, but if they're in the 60s, not all the shows were live. They would do a live show and then tape another right after it, so they were in the studio only every other week. (IGAS did the same thing).
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 10:22:18 AM »
It's also possible that the kinescopes we have now were used by some stations to air the show on a delayed basis, and as such could not be classified as live.  Back then, the stations (and society in general) made a big deal about being truthful. ;)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 10:48:02 AM »
I think it's mostly what DrBear is saying, though.  They're definitely in the sixties now, and the show was only live if Johnny Olson said it was live.  I don't think GSN itself is editing the shows in any way except to remove commercials.

Here's an insanely detailed WML? site where you can find out specifically whether a given show from the sixties was live or not, as well as excruciatingly specific information about every segment on most episodes:

http://www.tv.com/what-s-my-line/show/5501/summary.html
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

cweaver

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 12:30:40 PM »
Another thing to listen for: in the closing credits Johnny will say "this program has been pre-recorded."  I think he even did that on the one this past week that ran just before the 1964 Match Game.

GSFan

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 06:15:25 PM »
I do remember that the last time the 1960's shows were cycled on GSN, most of them said "Live from New York.  On this run, the word "live" is clearly edited out.
March 26, 2023 - 50 years of Pyramid!