Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GS theme question...not stupid I swear...  (Read 12041 times)

tracy carman

GS theme question...not stupid I swear...
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2006, 09:40:32 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'83791\' date=\'Apr 28 2005, 11:38 PM\']
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Apr 28 2005, 06:03 PM\']Did Hal Blaine play on those famous KHJ/WOR-FM etc. jingles commissioned by Bill Drake? I've heard some demo tracks and one of the notes heard over the talkback is "a little heavier, Hal".... I think I read someplace that Johnny Mann and company recorded those jingles in LA....
[snapback]83755[/snapback]
[/quote]
Hal Blaine DID play drums on the Drake radio jingles. An amazing iota of trivia - congratulations!

For those unfamiliar, those jingles were pretty revolutionary when introduced in the mid 1960s. They were very quick, but richly orchestrated. They featured a rhythm section reminiscent of the Motown sound that was so popular at the time. Drake-Chenault also sold those cuts outside of the radio stations in the RKO chain they programmed, via their company American Idependent Radio.

Building on the success of those jingles, Joseph P. Cuff and Company looked to create a subsequent package with similar impact. He hired many of the studio musicians who played on the Drake sessions, and referred to them on the demo as "21 top-flight Hollywood musicians". Those sessions also featured Hal Blaine.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[/quote]

To take this one step further... The original Drake "rum pum" tracks were recorded in April 1969 at Western Recorders in Los Angeles.  Hal Blain did play drums on the session, as we documented when were posted some out-takes mixed out from the original 1" multi-track reel at http://www.jingles.org/mpf/mpfaudio.html

Further... there was a later Drake package othewise known as THE MOTOWN PACKAGE.  What most people don't realize is that the backing tracks for this package were actually cut at Motown.

Joseph P. Cuff's Image II was a "must have" for many radio stations... following up on the KHJ logo'ed concept.  The package was available with either Dallas vocals (mainly the TM Productions "A" group of the time, led by Judy Parma) or the infamous Los Angeles singers who sang on many of the original Drake packages.

I hope this helps....

Tracy E. Carman
Executive Director
Media Preservation Foundation

tvrandywest

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2006, 12:25:52 PM »
Welcome, Tracy! Our Invision family should know that Tracy is THE authority on radio jingles, and a great guy. Hope you'll visit us again, my friend.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

TimK2003

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2006, 03:40:34 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'138187\' date=\'Nov 18 2006, 01:25 PM\']
Welcome, Tracy! Our Invision family should know that Tracy is THE authority on radio jingles, and a great guy. Hope you'll visit us again, my friend.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[/quote]

Any way that Tracy can help me get my hands on some old WIXY-1260 jingles, preferrably the non-PAMS, Spot Productions packages?

JCGames

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2006, 10:28:19 PM »
Chief-O:

Robert Israel of Score Productions wrote the music for the To Tell the Truth theme. Paul Alter(the show's director) wrote the lyrics.

uncamark

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2006, 05:23:07 PM »
[quote name=\'JCGames\' post=\'138229\' date=\'Nov 18 2006, 09:28 PM\']
Chief-O:

Robert Israel of Score Productions wrote the music for the To Tell the Truth theme. Paul Alter(the show's director) wrote the lyrics.
[/quote]

However, it is widely believed that Charles Fox actually wrote the music for the "TTTT" theme--one of the last things he did for Score before writing the score to "Goodbye Columbus" and the theme for "Love American Style."  Since Score required their contract writers to sign over the rights to the head of the company, he most likely never received the royalty money he should have.

Fox's other major Score credits were the "Wide World of Sports" theme (the most well-known one, accompanying that ski jumper) and the original "Monday Night Football" theme (the one with the director saying in the background "Ready tape...ready replay...ready to cue Keith, Dan and Howard....", etc.).