Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Family Feud scoring systems  (Read 16126 times)

Casey Buck

Family Feud scoring systems
« on: September 11, 2003, 12:53:51 AM »
Since Season 5 of Family Feud is returning to a 300-points-wins scoring system, let's review all the scoring systems that Family Feud used, and see which one is the best (though I have a feeling #5 or #7 isn't going to be very popular :-D)

#1: Single-Single-Double-Double (200 pts. wins)
Used on ABC Dawson Feud from 1976-mid 1979, and first three or so weeks of syndie Dawson Feud

#2: Single-Single-Single-Double-Triple (300 pts. wins)
Used on syndie Dawson Feud from three or so weeks in the run-1984, and Combs Feud from 1990-1992

#3: Single-Single-Double-Double-Triple (300 pts. wins)
Used on ABC Dawson Feud from mid 1979-1984.

#4: Single-Single-Double-Triple (300 pts. wins)
Used on Combs Feud from 1988-1990, and will be used on second season of Karn Feud from 2003 on.

#5: Single-Single-Single-Single-Double-Triple (400 pts. wins)
Used on both versions of Dawson Feud from 1984-1985, and on the finals of Combs Feud Winner-Take-All Tournaments (no Fast Money played).

#6: Single-Double-Triple-Triple (300 pts. wins)
Used on Bullseye Combs Feud from 1992-1994.

#7: Single-Single-Single-Triple (most points at end of Triple question wins, 1 strike on Triple question)
Used on Anderson Feud and first season of Karn Feud from 1999-2003.

P.S. Are there any scoring systems I missed, or got incorrect? Yes, I do realize that this thread is very similar to an old ATGS thread, but I wanted to include the new Karn scoring system, as well.

EDIT: Corrected #4, and eliminated #8.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2003, 01:03:27 AM by Casey Buck »

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2003, 01:00:17 AM »
Well, first off,  #4 is equivalent to #8.  My favorite is #3.

Brandon Brooks

TV Favorites

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2003, 10:15:28 AM »
First of all, the scoring systems where the point value to win was 300 or better was the best in my opinion.  I always hated the Single-Double-Triple of the Bullseye era (not to mention that I hated Bullseye because it took away from the main game).  I would say that my favorites are either Single-Single-Single-Double-Triple or S-S-D-D-T.

J.R.

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2003, 10:40:03 AM »
I liked the S-S-D-T to $300 format. Though S-D-T-T is good when your playing the game at home and don't have a lot of time.

Say, does anybody know why they stopped converting the points into $ ?
-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

zachhoran

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2003, 10:44:30 AM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Sep 11 2003, 09:40 AM\'] I liked the S-S-D-T to $300 format. Though S-D-T-T is good when your playing the game at home and don't have a lot of time.

Say, does anybody know why they stopped converting the points into $ ?
-Joe R. [/quote]
 I'm guessing to try to cut the budget that little tiny bit when the Bullseye game upped the stakes, particularly on the daytime version where $5K was the top FM prize, they could now give away as much as $30K per show($10K for the first half and $20K for the second)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2003, 11:42:37 AM »
As long as it allows the show to fit in the alloted time without being rushed, I could care less if they played to 12 points with a 1/2, 1/3, 1/47th format.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2003, 02:13:14 PM »
For all the fuss everybody made about the current version's original \"flawed\" structure, the problem with Family Feud has always been that you have to hold the serious points until the end of the game if you want to make a half-hour show.  The later questions aren't any harder, so from a game play standpoint, making them worth more is arbitrary.

I'd do nothing but Singles, play to 200 and straddle.  So there.  If I have to vote, the original version (which, as we've discussed before, sort of almost straddled in the early going) comes closest to that.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

WilliamPorygon

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2003, 04:53:09 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 11 2003, 10:42 AM\']As long as it allows the show to fit in the alloted time without being rushed, I could care less if they played to 12 points with a 1/2, 1/3, 1/47th format.[/quote]
Though that format would actually give less points as the rounds progress, and a 1/2 points round would still win the game by itself with only 24 of the 100 people surveyed if 12 points wins the game.

Anyhow, S-S-D-T to 300 is best, IMO.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2003, 05:16:12 PM »
[quote name=\'WilliamPorygon\' date=\'Sep 11 2003, 03:53 PM\'] Though that format would actually give less points as the rounds progress, and a 1/2 points round would still win the game by itself with only 24 of the 100 people surveyed if 12 points wins the game.
 [/quote]
 That most certainly has nothing to do with the point he was trying to make.

Brandon Brooks

Jay Temple

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2003, 05:57:49 PM »
#3 is the best, #2 is next-best and the last one is worst.  The only down side to #3 is that you got about $200 less money for being lots better than your opponents than for being only a little better.  That is, you'd win with $3xx if you won the first three questions, which have lots of answers, but if you split the singles and split the doubles, you'd get $5xx by winning a question that typically had only three answers.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

SteveRep

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2003, 06:03:01 PM »
I think the one they're switching back to is just fine. And might just be the best, unless they want to go back to :15 and :20 in Fast Money.

BTW, will the Triple round also have three strikes again? If so, they should also go back to the \"read the question once, you have 3 seconds when I get to you\" rule.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2003, 06:13:46 PM »
[quote name=\'WilliamPorygon\' date=\'Sep 11 2003, 01:53 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 11 2003, 10:42 AM\']As long as it allows the show to fit in the alloted time without being rushed, I could care less if they played to 12 points with a 1/2, 1/3, 1/47th format.[/quote]
Though that format would actually give less points as the rounds progress, and a 1/2 points round would still win the game by itself with only 24 of the 100 people surveyed if 12 points wins the game.
 [/quote]
 Wow. Just wow. Just when I think it can't get any more....wow.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2003, 07:46:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 11 2003, 01:13 PM\'] For all the fuss everybody made about the current version's original "flawed" structure, the problem with Family Feud has always been that you have to hold the serious points until the end of the game if you want to make a half-hour show.  The later questions aren't any harder, so from a game play standpoint, making them worth more is arbitrary.

I'd do nothing but Singles, play to 200 and straddle.  So there.  If I have to vote, the original version (which, as we've discussed before, sort of almost straddled in the early going) comes closest to that. [/quote]
 Or if you wanted to straddle, do 3-out-of-5 format, and maybe make the fifth round a sudden death, one strike round(like Scrabble played the last word as Speedword in the maingame when the score was 2-2 in the straddled format they had early on)

TV Favorites

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2003, 09:02:13 PM »
[quote name=\'SteveRep\' date=\'Sep 11 2003, 06:03 PM\'] BTW, will the Triple round also have three strikes again? If so, they should also go back to the "read the question once, you have 3 seconds when I get to you" rule. [/quote]
 The triple round (at least round 4) will have three strikes again.  And I hear that they are going back to the Read the question once, 3 seconds to answer rule.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2003, 09:13:59 PM »
[quote name=\'TV Favorites\' date=\'Sep 11 2003, 08:02 PM\'] The triple round (at least round 4) will have three strikes again.  And I hear that they are going back to the Read the question once, 3 seconds to answer rule. [/quote]
 Now, it would be just fine if she (the show) did what her sister, 100 Mexicanos Dijeron, does:  All rounds three stikes except the second triple round, which is only one strike.  I really hope they just don't sound a buzzer and say \"time's up!\"  That would be horrid and regressive.

Branodn Brooks