Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The game's the same  (Read 9887 times)

ITSBRY

The game's the same
« on: June 17, 2003, 07:22:48 PM »
First topic started in the new digs.  I must say...I like the look and feel of the place much better than eZboard.  Just one request for the front door...can you put Bill's \"testimonal\" back up? (Bill Cullen says, \"...).  Seriously, for the ba-gillionth time, thanks Matt and Chris for providing my favorite online time waster! :-)  On the rare occassions that I peek into the hell that ATGS has become, it makes me all the more grateful that the sane bunch has found a home here.

Anyway....onto the topic.

After watching some old HR episodes, it dawned on me that the front and end games are essentially exactly the same (remove 9 numbers and avoid bad rolls) and I couldn't think of any other show where this was the case.  Of course, I'm probably missing something obvious but I thought I'd toss it out there to see who could jog my memory.

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com

hines2000

The game's the same
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2003, 07:40:24 PM »
The original Password I think would qualify . . . how about the \"Bonus Stunt\" on the first version of Beat The Clock?
Now You See It, Make Me Laugh, and Knockout were all pretty close.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The game's the same
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2003, 09:51:56 PM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Jun 17 2003, 04:22 PM\'] and I couldn't think of any other show where this was the case. [/quote]
 The Jackpot round on Go comes immediately to mind, as does the car game on Classic Concentration. How about the Gold Run on Blockbusters? Only difference is multi-letter answers.

You could prolly also count Fast Money on the Feud (guess the most popular answer) as well, if you're willing to allow it the same conceits you did for High Rollers.

And I'm sure there are a boatload more that I'm not thinking of immediately
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DjohnsonCB

The game's the same
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2003, 09:54:26 PM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Jun 17 2003, 06:22 PM\'] On the rare occassions that I peek into the hell that ATGS has become, it makes me all the more grateful that the sane bunch has found a home here.

[/quote]
 My feelings exactly!
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

Winkfan

The game's the same
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2003, 01:30:37 AM »
There's also the Golden Medley from Name That Tune. (Guessing tune titles, only guess seven of them in 30 seconds.) And let's not forget the Super Match from Match Game '7X as well. (Celeb and contestant fill in the same BLANK.)

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Margo Moser of the Big Board!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2003, 01:31:41 AM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

ITSBRY

The game's the same
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2003, 01:52:41 AM »
I guess I should try to qualify this...I was thinking of end games that are identical to the main game, not really end games with a varation (as most end games are).  I used HR as an example because it's such a good one.  The game is exactly same...knock off 9 numbers.

I agree somewhat with Fast Money...pretty much the same in that you're trying to find top answers to a survey.

I don't think I'd put CC's car game into this category.  There is a pretty large variation here in that there's no puzzle to solve.  The matching tile thing is there yes, but that's all you're doing in the bonus game is matching.

I'd also eliminate Super match...yes, it's still matching a celeb but there's a whole element to the end game (polling) that's not there in the front game.

Can't comment on Jackpot or Go as I don't remember either of these games.

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com

BrandonFG

The game's the same
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2003, 10:15:28 AM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Jun 17 2003, 06:22 PM\']After watching some old HR episodes, it dawned on me that the front and end games are essentially exactly the same (remove 9 numbers and avoid bad rolls) and I couldn't think of any other show where this was the case.  Of course, I'm probably missing something obvious but I thought I'd toss it out there to see who could jog my memory.

[/quote]
-Shopping format on $ale of the Century
-Money Maze (one team member directs the spouse through the maze)
-Someone said Classic Concentration.....yes and no; yes, you're trying to remember where the names of each car were, but no, there's not a rebus....but how about the \"Double Play\" round from the 70s syndie Concentration, minus the matching?
-Wipeout
-Although it doesn't count as a bonus round per se, I'd add the Showcase from TPiR; you're still trying to find the closest bid, just with multiple prizes
-Cross(-)wits, in trying to complete a crossword puzzle
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

opimus

The game's the same
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2003, 10:28:29 AM »
I'm suprized no one came up with WOF sooner.

clemon79

The game's the same
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2003, 11:43:11 AM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Jun 17 2003, 10:52 PM\'] The game is exactly same...knock off 9 numbers. [/quote]
 I KNEW you were gonna do this.

The object of the front game of High Rollers is to either a) knock off all nine numbers, or b) force your opponent to make a bad roll. To do that, you answer c) questions to gain control of the dice.

The Big Numbers are missing both b) winning by forcing someone (say, the house?) to make a bad roll, and c) questions. Which is not to say I disagree with you that it's very similar to the front game, but if you are going to use that as your golden example, then to throw out CC because it's missing one element from the game is moronic.

Can't comment on Jackpot or Go as I don't remember either of these games.

Jackpot doesn't have an endgame, per se, but I think you misread my reference to the Jackpot round ON Go, which had the entire team (and lesser components thereof) forming questions one word at a time instead of just two players.

I agree with the dismissal of Super Match, though, since matching an audience poll instead of the celebrities is a severe difference. I think that Tammy was referring specifically to the Head-To-Head Match portion of the Super Match, which has somewhat more merit, but I agree is only one part of the larger game.

[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jun 18 2003,07:15 AM\']Shopping format on $ale of the Century[/quote]

Not hardly. Never have I seen a player answer a question while shopping. Ever.

Money Maze (one team member directs the spouse through the maze)

Good example here.

Wipeout

Horrible example. The whole \"check your work and then make changes\" facet of the endgame changes the whole thing. This is tantamout to suggesting Bonkers and One Away are the same game. Again, you can't include this and deny me CC at the same time.

I'd add the Showcase from TPiR; you're still trying to find the closest bid, just with multiple prizes

I wouldn't. Might be close to a One Bid, but it certainly has nothing to do with the individual pricing games.

Cross(-)wits, in trying to complete a crossword puzzle

But the key in the front game involved solving the puzzle. Again, you allow me CC, I'll let you have this.

Ghastly_Gary

The game's the same
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2003, 11:51:11 AM »
I remember that Snap Judgment, a G/T show hosted by Ed McMahon, looked like a Password clone towards the end of its run on NBC.

ITSBRY

The game's the same
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2003, 01:19:44 PM »
I KNEW you were gonna do this.

Chris...I wasn't attacking you or trying to make it sound like I was right and you were wrong, so if it seemed that way I apologize.  I was just was just trying to clarify what I meant, that's all.  You bring up some things I hadn't really thought of.  \"Identical\" is not the word I should have used.  Perhaps very very similiar would have been better.

then to throw out CC because it's missing one element from the game is moronic.

I still do not think that the car game in CC fits here.  The puzzle is a huge facet to the front game that's not present in the end game.  You have to solve the puzzle to win (at least from what I remember).  I would consider the puzzle the heart of the game in the front game and the matching tiles the heart of the game in the end game.  With HR, the questions are a means to get control of the dice in the front game.  Removing numbers to get prizes/cash and avoiding bad rolls is the object for both the front and end games.

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com

clemon79

The game's the same
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2003, 01:48:27 PM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Jun 18 2003, 10:19 AM\'] Chris...I wasn't attacking you or trying to make it sound like I was right and you were wrong, so if it seemed that way I apologize. [/quote]

No, of course you weren't, I know that, we're talking about GAME SHOWS, fer God's sake, it's hardly a subject worth attacking over :) But I WILL discuss it with a passion, and I expect everyone else to do the same :)

I would consider the puzzle the heart of the game in the front game and the matching tiles the heart of the game in the end game

I'd agree with you if the name of the show were \"Rebus\" and not \"Concentration.\"

By your argument, you're suggesting that Double Play from the Narz version of the show is more applicable, 'cuz it's all about solving rebuses. But now there's no matching of squares at ALL. That simply isn't Concentration.

I put forth that while the rebuses are an important part of Concentration, the hook is the matching of prizes, just as people did with decks of playing cards long before Concentration was on TV.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2003, 01:48:57 PM by clemon79 »

Matt Ottinger

The game's the same
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2003, 02:48:50 PM »
I'm reminded of Hugh Downs' simple explanation at the beginning of most every show.  \"The object of the game is to solve the puzzle.\"  You typically couldn't do that without making matches, of course, but the original series made it clear that the rebus was the most important part of the show, not the accumulation of pairs.

My personal feeling is that this whole thread is somewhat suspect.  NO show's bonus round is *exactly* like the main game, that would be pretty redundant.  Big Numbers is (arguably) closer to its main game than most other shows, but it DOESN'T have Q&A and it DOESN'T have play/pass strategy and it DOESN'T have columns to clear and prize packages to win, so there are clearly differences.  

Therefore, what's really being asked is which shows have bonus rounds that are closest in game play to their main game, and that's subjective.  Like the classic \"game show/not a game show\" argument, there's simply not one column for \"yes\" and one column for \"no\".  There are just many, many columns of \"This is what I think\".
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

PeterMarshallFan

The game's the same
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2003, 04:00:31 PM »
Yahtzee's bonus game was pretty similar to the front game. Celebs write answers, players take turns answering, match answers, roll dice.

beatlefreak84

The game's the same
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2003, 12:14:49 PM »
Personally, I'm surprised no one mentioned \"Starcade's\" bonus round.  It's almost exactly the same as the previous rounds; the only difference is that you have to beat an average score of a specific number of players instead of just your opponent.

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™