Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bob Barker Retiring  (Read 53304 times)

tpirfan28

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2006, 02:51:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Johnissoevil\' post=\'136229\' date=\'Oct 31 2006, 02:43 PM\']
I'll just state this, I do intend on giving whoever the new host is a chance before I pass judgement.  They did find a good replacement for Rod, after all (Apologies to you Rich Fields-haters, I find him to be a worthy successor).
[/quote]

Me too.  They found a great replacement in Rod when Johnny died.  They found a great replacement in Rich when Rod died.  They'll find someone good to host.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

tvrandywest

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2006, 03:00:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'136214\' date=\'Oct 31 2006, 12:03 PM\']
When the history of this event is written, let it be known that Don was all of five minutes ahead of Marc Green posting a similar message to Golden Road. [/quote]

Kudos to Don for breaking the story! Yes, the decision was made some weeks ago. As Bob has until December 31st each year to announce his plans for the following season, I was surprised this was being made public 2 months earlier than it needed to. Watch for a huge 50th year celebration prime-time special commemmorating Bob's amazing achievements to be taped within the next month at a location away from CBS 33.

Thanks for the memories, Bob!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

rialtus

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2006, 03:06:00 PM »
So, I guess I'll finally have to make the pilgrimage to CBS 33 for Price. Yes, I know this may be a shock to you, but I live in the LA area and have NEVER attended TPiR @ 33. I've been in 33 for other things (H2, MG98, Pictionary, a few pilots) but never for TPiR. And I've seen TPiR Live! in San Diego with GSF's own Randy West announcing. But never with Bob in 33...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2006, 03:09:59 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'136231\' date=\'Oct 31 2006, 11:51 AM\']
Me too.  They found a great replacement in Rod when Johnny died.  They found a great replacement in Rich when Rod died.  They'll find someone good to host.
[/quote]
Seeing as I vehemently disagree on your opinion that Rich is worth a damn as an announcer, I wouldn't be surprised if they hired Gilbert Gottfried.

(You're entitled to your opinion. I just don't and won't ever agree with it. I'm not looking for an argument, just stating that I won't even bother to participate in one, because we're not gonna change the other's mind.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2006, 03:17:45 PM »
Remember the Dave Price rumor?

He just re-signed with CBS and the deal includes "entertainment" considerations.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 03:20:38 PM by ChrisLambert! »
@lambertman

Mike Tennant

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2006, 03:18:36 PM »
Speaking as one of the nine people who put Bob at number one on the host poll (with Cullen number two, after much agonizing on my part), I must say I am truly saddened by this.  I'm glad that Bob isn't going to keep hanging on till the bitter end (or until he keels over on stage), but as much as we all knew it was coming eventually, it's so much different when it actually happens.  My parents say that as soon as I could be propped up in front of the TV I would sit there in rapt attention whenever Bob came on, and even as a young'un I'd sit through parades, beauty pageants, or just about anything else as long as Bob was on there.

I've been trying to talk my wife into going to a TPIR taping ever since we got married five years ago.  I'm really going to have to push the issue now.  Of course, that will probably also mean getting in line about 24 hours early in order to get into the studio now that everyone else will be doing the same thing, but it will be worth it.

tvwxman

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2006, 03:19:53 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' post=\'136241\' date=\'Oct 31 2006, 03:17 PM\']

He just resigned with CBS and the deal includes "entertainment" considerations.
[/quote]
Oh Crap. What timing. You think they're correlated?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

aaron sica

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2006, 03:23:52 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' post=\'136241\' date=\'Oct 31 2006, 03:17 PM\']

He just re-signed with CBS and the deal includes "entertainment" considerations.
[/quote]

I can see it now.......Show is renamed to "Dave Price is Right"

rialtus

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2006, 03:26:55 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'136247\' date=\'Oct 31 2006, 03:23 PM\']I can see it now.......Show is renamed to "Dave Price is Right"[/quote]...followed by "Dave Letterman is Right". :)

Robert Hutchinson

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2006, 03:29:05 PM »
You heard it here first--Letterman on shortlist to be new TPIR host!

(You just watch. Someone will be calling it the golden truth in a week.)

(Actually, I would kill to see Letterman host TPIR, just for one day.)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

colonial

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2006, 03:48:13 PM »
Barker has told the Associated Press his decision to call it a career.  Can't post it due to the fact that it comes directly from the AP wire, but Barker says in the story that he's decided to retire" while I'm still young".

Barker also says that Fremantle has been looking for his replacement "for 2 or three years," and warned his successor to memorize all 80 pricing games backwards and forwards.

James

aaron sica

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2006, 03:48:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'136250\' date=\'Oct 31 2006, 03:29 PM\']
(Actually, I would kill to see Letterman host TPIR, just for one day.)
[/quote]

'tis a shame he never got to host one. I thought he did a fine job on "The Riddlers".

Tony

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2006, 03:54:46 PM »
While a few of us have had our problems with Barker's hosting of Price during the last handful of years, I can't help but feel, based on the recent trends in game shows, that the show may get much worse without Bob than with him.

Yeah, I've also gotten rather jaded regarding the current direction of the genre.  In fact, if things continue as they are, once Jeopardy! (and, depending on how it goes, Wheel) is cancelled I just might bail on game shows entirely - especially if Joker and Combination Lock disappoint.

BrandonFG

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2006, 03:55:51 PM »
[quote name=\'colonial\' post=\'136252\' date=\'Oct 31 2006, 03:48 PM\']
Barker has told the Associated Press his decision to call it a career.  Can't post it due to the fact that it comes directly from the AP wire, but Barker says in the story that he's decided to retire" while I'm still young".

Barker also says that Fremantle has been looking for his replacement "for 2 or three years," and warned his successor to memorize all 80 pricing games backwards and forwards.
[/quote]
An AP article
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 03:56:21 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chad1m

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2006, 04:07:55 PM »
It would be cool if he changes his mind before the end of the season.. IAnd if not, well, I wish him the best of the luck and a bittersweet goodbye. It's completely understandable for him to do this. It will definitely be of interest to see who replaces him and how well Price does afterwards. The AP article proves that he's still as feisty as he was fifty years ago, so hopefully he won't fade from the public eye completely.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 04:10:26 PM by chad1m »