Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Major Goof on 1 vs 100?  (Read 16390 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Major Goof on 1 vs 100?
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2006, 01:33:23 AM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'135274\' date=\'Oct 21 2006, 08:26 PM\']
Could this be fixed by doing what, yet again, each other country on earth does: the new One comes from the surviving mob members?
[/quote]
It could be fixed by not preproducing the living crap out of the show.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Craig Karlberg

Major Goof on 1 vs 100?
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2006, 04:20:34 AM »
Clearly, the guy who missed the Baby Jessica question didn't have his head in the game here.  He used his helps.  Problem was, he simply didn't recognize that SAME mobster(from his 1st help) was selected at random on his 2nd help & should've just changed over to McClure instead of staying with Lynch.  That's a judgemental error to me right there, not really stupid or anyrthing.

The last player on this episode gave a textbook example of how this game SHOULD be played.  He used his helps judiciously & walked off with a nice sum of money.

As far as the carry-over from last week, she should've kept going despite racking up all that loot(over $200K+).  Under those circumstances, unless you really needed the cash, go with the Nob for as long as you can knowing full well you still have your helps if you get stuck anywhere along the way.  She chickened out too soon I thought.

tvwxman

Major Goof on 1 vs 100?
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2006, 06:39:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Timsterino\' post=\'135278\' date=\'Oct 22 2006, 12:55 AM\']
This is not a complaint, just reality. It is not worth it to be a mob member, period. The $1,000,000 prize will NEVER be given to a mob member. If you are a one that is a different story.

Unless you are a local and have nothing better to do, it is a complete waste of time. I will fill in more later.

Tim :-)
[/quote]
There is an easy way to fix this :

Have a qualifying game with the 100 players to pick the 1...

I've made a similar complaint with Deal and SyndieMillionaire...i strongly dislike the fact that they just pick a player to play (and , likely, win a boatload of money) offstage. Have a qualifying game to earn your right into the hot seat and big bucks!
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

cweaver

Major Goof on 1 vs 100?
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2006, 11:30:04 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'135280\' date=\'Oct 22 2006, 12:16 AM\']
 With all due respect to Dixon and Brendan, an immediate red flag should have been triggered.
[/quote]

...Which is actually the point Brendan and I both made.  The contestant didn't play well at all and I was yelling at my TV but even then I've yelled at my TV plenty of times without considering the question "incredibly stupid."  Employed poor strategy, yes (and therefore deserved to lose) but someone else presented an involved mathematical formula and I really don't see a guy who appears so adverse to newspapers also being a math whiz.  I'm just not one of those people who thinks every missed answer on a game show is a sign of ignorance.

I've yelled at my TV plenty of times (including this one) for wrongheaded contestants, from lame answers on Match Game to the poor schmuck on Millionaire who insisted the answer to the "Brave New World" question had to be anything but Henry Ford (he taught at a school where BNW was required reading).  Ouch.  But even then it takes a special kind of moment to rise (or lower) to the level of "incredibly stupid" and I just don't think this was it.

Groucho:  Don't worry, no one leaves here broke.  Now for ten dollars, what city is famous for Boston baked beans?
Contestant: France!
(audience howls, Groucho is initially speechless)
Groucho: France is right!  Pay that man ten dollars!

Now that was incredibly stupid.

WhammyPower

Major Goof on 1 vs 100?
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2006, 11:54:26 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'135292\' date=\'Oct 22 2006, 05:39 AM\'] [quote name=\'Timsterino\' post=\'135278\' date=\'Oct 22 2006, 12:55 AM\']
The $1,000,000 prize will NEVER be given to a mob member. If you are a one that is a different story.[/quote]
There is an easy way to fix this: Have a qualifying game with the 100 players to pick the 1.[/quote]
If there were to be one, I would say do it like Aussie Deal: Ask 3 questions with 3 choices, and the person who plays is the overall fastest of those who got all 3 questions right.

However, I would only do this among the eliminated Mob members.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 12:00:23 PM by WhammyPower »

Clay Zambo

Major Goof on 1 vs 100?
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2006, 01:52:26 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' post=\'135303\' date=\'Oct 22 2006, 11:54 AM\']
If there were to be one, I would say do it like Aussie Deal: Ask 3 questions with 3 choices, and the person who plays is the overall fastest of those who got all 3 questions right.

However, I would only do this among the eliminated Mob members.
[/quote]

But surely you mean uneliminated...
czambo@mac.com

clemon79

Major Goof on 1 vs 100?
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2006, 02:08:20 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'135292\' date=\'Oct 22 2006, 03:39 AM\']
There is an easy way to fix this :

Have a qualifying game with the 100 players to pick the 1...
[/quote]
And you already know this, I'm sure, but for the benefit of our less clueful members, here's why this will never happen:

In the current form, the Mob doesn't have to be "good contestant material". They can be minimally interesting schlubs, since for the most part all they have to do is push a button

If you pull your One out of the Mob, you either have to a) fill your Mob with "good contestant material", which makes your contestant coordinators do 100x more work than they have to do now, or b) run the risk of an uninteresting schlub ending up as your One, and in the current climate of prime-time game shows, that Just Won't Do.

tvwxman

Major Goof on 1 vs 100?
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2006, 02:37:24 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'135312\' date=\'Oct 22 2006, 02:08 PM\']
If you pull your One out of the Mob, you either have to a) fill your Mob with "good contestant material", which makes your contestant coordinators do 100x more work than they have to do now, or b) run the risk of an uninteresting schlub ending up as your One, and in the current climate of prime-time game shows, that Just Won't Do.
[/quote]
An excellent point. For the contestant coordinators reading here :

A . Do your damn job better.
B . If the title of a show is "1 vs. 100", and you need to find 100 people who are "good contestant material",  then get it done, or go back to waiting tables.

I agree with clemon, but only in theory. If a show has 3 contestants, contestant coorinators have to find 3 good players. If the show involves 100 contestants, then you better get cracking. "Deal or No Deal" models need not apply. I have no problem with them having to do 100x more work. The people at Endemol calling themselves "contestant coordinators" , to me, have proven they need the practice.

Wheres Laura Chalmers when you need her!
-------------

Matt

clemon79

Major Goof on 1 vs 100?
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2006, 03:37:13 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'135315\' date=\'Oct 22 2006, 11:37 AM\']
I agree with clemon, but only in theory. If a show has 3 contestants, contestant coorinators have to find 3 good players. If the show involves 100 contestants, then you better get cracking. "Deal or No Deal" models need not apply. I have no problem with them having to do 100x more work. The people at Endemol calling themselves "contestant coordinators" , to me, have proven they need the practice.
[/quote]
Agreed on all counts, but we both know the reality of the situation. They're getting boffo (enough) ratings with the dimbulbs they're casting now, there is no reason to change, they will simply ride this wave out until The Sheeple get tired of it, and then drop it like a hot rock and come up with another retread.

It's the same reason Richard Karn held a job for as long as he did. The days of coming up with a concept and then carefully cultivating it into another Jeopardy or Wheel are over.

tvwxman

Major Goof on 1 vs 100?
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2006, 04:00:28 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'135320\' date=\'Oct 22 2006, 03:37 PM\']
The days of coming up with a concept and then carefully cultivating it into another Jeopardy or Wheel are over.
[/quote]

In the "Rules for Creating A Game Show : 2006 Edition", This should be on page one.

Oh, and "Sheeple"? You continue to make me laugh. Rock on.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 04:01:20 PM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Major Goof on 1 vs 100?
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2006, 05:26:21 PM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'135302\' date=\'Oct 22 2006, 10:30 AM\']
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'135280\' date=\'Oct 22 2006, 12:16 AM\']
 With all due respect to Dixon and Brendan, an immediate red flag should have been triggered.
[/quote]

...Which is actually the point Brendan and I both made.  The contestant didn't play well at all and I was yelling at my TV but even then I've yelled at my TV plenty of times without considering the question "incredibly stupid."  Employed poor strategy, yes (and therefore deserved to lose) but someone else presented an involved mathematical formula and I really don't see a guy who appears so adverse to newspapers also being a math whiz.  I'm just not one of those people who thinks every missed answer on a game show is a sign of ignorance.
[/quote]

Then I misunderstood where you both were going.  Mea culpa.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Ian Wallis

Major Goof on 1 vs 100?
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2006, 05:35:34 PM »
The contestant was offered the buyout, but did not take it. The interchange was edited out.

Going back up a few posts...who else here has a problem with this?  In two shows we didn't know if this was even a rule or not, and the fact that they edited out offering the contestant the option is inexcusible to me.  The home audience should at least know all the options the contestant has.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

tvwxman

Major Goof on 1 vs 100?
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2006, 05:39:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'135325\' date=\'Oct 22 2006, 05:35 PM\']
The contestant was offered the buyout, but did not take it. The interchange was edited out.

Going back up a few posts...who else here has a problem with this?  In two shows we didn't know if this was even a rule or not, and the fact that they edited out offering the contestant the option is inexcusible to me.  The home audience should at least know all the options the contestant has.
[/quote]
Absolutely correct. I too have a problem with it.

I think (Speculation alert), that after shooting the 5 eps back to back, they realized that EVERY contestant with a brain cell in em, bailed around 100-200K, before being faced with an "Oh-my-Gawd-I-don't-know-this-answer-yet-i'm-out-of-lifelines-moment", so they just edited them out. Another reason the producers, and this show, is flawed.

But again, Number 1 for the night. do you think they care?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 05:41:27 PM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Major Goof on 1 vs 100?
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2006, 02:45:04 PM »
[quote name=\'mcsittel\' post=\'135276\' date=\'Oct 21 2006, 11:17 PM\']Similarly, what if neither of the two chosen agree with the player's response (e.g., the mob votes unanimously for a different response than the player)?[/quote]
Technically, no one in the mob has to agree with the contestant -- they just need to find two mob members with different answers, one right and one wrong. But if all of the mob chooses the same answer (or all of them choose one of the two wrong answers), I'd put my money on, "They would stop tape for two hours and panic because they didn't foresee it as a possibility, then ultimately wind up throwing out the question." This is also what I predict happens if there is only one mob member left and the contestant asks if they can use their second help.

I liked that the questions were more challenging in this episode.

Unfortunately for Bob Saget, Ken Jennings had the funniest line.

(The mob members are standing up the whole time? They look like they're sitting. Why couldn't the set have been built so they were sitting?)

--
Scott Robinson
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 02:45:54 PM by MSTieScott »

clemon79

Major Goof on 1 vs 100?
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2006, 02:49:19 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' post=\'135383\' date=\'Oct 23 2006, 11:45 AM\']
(The mob members are standing up the whole time? They look like they're sitting. Why couldn't the set have been built so they were sitting?)
[/quote]
They didn't want to spring for a hundred office chairs?