Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Major Goof on 1 vs 100?  (Read 16442 times)

tvwxman

Major Goof on 1 vs 100?
« on: October 21, 2006, 08:40:31 AM »
Okay, I like this show, admittedly a lot more than I thought I would when I tried out at a contestant cattle call back in June.

But I noticed a glaring error last night with the player who went home emptyhanded:

How come he wasn't offered the 25% buyout? If he still wasn't sure on what Baby Jessica's last name was (and Gawd knows the lulus in the audience were TREMENDOUS help), then why wasn't he offered a deal to walk?

Isn't that part of the rules? Or not?

They really need to add a graphic telling the audience what 'lifelines' the player has left.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

weaklink75

Major Goof on 1 vs 100?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 10:14:20 AM »
I'm thinking maybe they only offer the buyout starting the question after they use the 2nd help? Although I for one didn't know they could use both helps on the same question.....
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 10:17:06 AM by weaklink75 »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Major Goof on 1 vs 100?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 10:23:30 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'135185\' date=\'Oct 21 2006, 07:40 AM\']
Isn't that part of the rules? Or not?
[/quote]
Doesn't seem like it's part of the rules anymore.  The person last week who used both helps also wasn't offered anything to walk away before the answer was revealed.

Meanwhile, my opinion about the guy who won nothing--hate to say this but he deserved his fate.  I realize logic goes out the window a lot of times when you're on a stage, but adding up a few facts should've flat out told him that his answer was wrong before he went with it.

My numbers may be off, but at that point, I believe 49 people were left in the game.  Four people chose his answer.  That means 45 people didn't.  (Again, my numbers might be off and it may have been more--I don't remember.)  Assuming he's allowed to watch the game being played before his (no real reason to sequester him), he hopefully would've realized that a lot of these people are smart and unlikely to get tripped up on a lower-level question.  Given that most of the mob did not share the same answer his was, unless he was counting on knocking out 40+ members of the mob on a level 5 question (which, again, was improbable at best) he should've realized that he was more likely to be wrong than they were.

Kind of a shame that the person who convinced him his answer was right got nothing for her performance, since she wasn't a surviving member of the mob.

Again, I know the lights, the cameras and everything, but taking an extra step back and thinking a little bit I think should've triggered at least a thought that his answer might not have been right.  He had unlimited time to make his choice.  And he didn't choose wisely.

Most of you will prolly disagree.  I hope you don't, but if you do so be it.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

bandit_bobby

Major Goof on 1 vs 100?
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 11:07:08 AM »
The loser last night was INCREDIBLY STUPID. He should have realized that there was no chance in this lifetime that only four would say what he thought was the right answer. You have to play the odds. Incredibly stupid.

tvwxman

Major Goof on 1 vs 100?
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 11:11:57 AM »
This coming from a child who quotes Spongebob Squarepants in his sig:

[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'135198\' date=\'Oct 21 2006, 11:07 AM\']
The loser last night was INCREDIBLY STUPID. He should have realized that there was no chance in this lifetime that only four would say what he thought was the right answer. You have to play the odds. Incredibly stupid.
[/quote]

Wrong. Again. If he stuck with his gut, thinking the bulk of the mob was wrong, it would have paid out for him tremendously, AND he would have been down to 4 people for the mil. Yes, it's a longshot, but since the producers seem to be trying to trip players up with semi-oft-kilter questions, I would not rule a longshot out.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

itiparanoid13

Major Goof on 1 vs 100?
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 11:30:44 AM »
I was under the impression that they were doing the surrender fee also.  Maybe it comes out with the new chain, who knows.  I was a bit disappointed about that as well.  

BTW, maybe I'm just a moron, but I thought the questions were a bit more difficult last night.  A few of them tripped me up.

Clay Zambo

Major Goof on 1 vs 100?
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 11:35:41 AM »
The material seemed tougher to me, too, and I was awfully glad to see it.

I'd still be delighted if the contestant *wasn't* given multiple choice--had to answer blindly, and the mob got the choices.  That'd impact the writing, though, and at least one of the Helps.

I don't remember hearing anything about a surrender fee.  Herself says there ought to be one, but I say that makes it too Millionairesque.  At these prices, seems to me taking the question means taking the risk.
czambo@mac.com

mmb5

Major Goof on 1 vs 100?
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 12:25:38 PM »
Actually, wouldn't "the loser" in yesterday's game be the person who was randomly selected with the right answer in the mob?  Since she went second, and the person who gave the wrong answer already gave her spiel, she should have played dumb and said she had only guessed to cement the 1's feeling about the wrong answer.

I still think I made the right decision in turning down the mob opportunity.  Woo hoo!  $714.29!  I might as well have gone on The Gong Show.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Major Goof on 1 vs 100?
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006, 12:41:14 PM »
Jessica Lynch was the name that stood out to most to me, as well, with the actual answer finishing second.

It's a good thing the questions got harder, but I wonder if it was too early in the game to ramp up the difficulty.
This signature is currently under construction.

toddyo

Major Goof on 1 vs 100?
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 12:44:46 PM »
As someone who's worked in television for a long time, I found the show very hard to watch.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, shouldn't game shows be portrayed in real time?  Forget Millionaire....I mean, shouldn't the host know his stuff?

1 vs 100 was full of dubbed in voice-overs and heavily edited. When I saw who the director was, it capped it. No wonder Game Show Marathon had the same feel....it was R. Brian.

Doesn't anyone know how to shoot and direct a gameshow without re-editing every single frame? An occasional flub will show that the host isn't perfect.....but the amount of edits last night was idiotic.

Since NBC is going back to more game shows, because of cost, I would hope that the producers and directors go over to Museum of Broadcasting and watch hour upon hour of gameshows to get a clue on how to do a gameshow in 22 minutes WITHOUT editing.

I did love the disclaimer at the end of the show "No money was on the set".   Laughable.

BrandonFG

Major Goof on 1 vs 100?
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2006, 01:11:01 PM »
[quote name=\'toddyo\' post=\'135215\' date=\'Oct 21 2006, 12:44 PM\']
Doesn't anyone know how to shoot and direct a gameshow without re-editing every single frame? An occasional flub will show that the host isn't perfect.....but the amount of edits last night was idiotic.

Since NBC is going back to more game shows, because of cost, I would hope that the producers and directors go over to Museum of Broadcasting and watch hour upon hour of gameshows to get a clue on how to do a gameshow in 22 minutes WITHOUT editing.
[/quote]
I haven't seen the show yet, but I must ask. Since R. Brian has his hands all over this one, I'm guessing that he also gets a cutaway shot of the audience every chance he gets?

Hopefully, NBC can find some directors other than him to do their shows.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MrBuddwing

Major Goof on 1 vs 100?
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2006, 01:49:07 PM »
[quote name=\'toddyo\' post=\'135215\' date=\'Oct 21 2006, 12:44 PM\']
Correct me if I'm wrong, but, shouldn't game shows be portrayed in real time?  Forget Millionaire....I mean, shouldn't the host know his stuff?

1 vs 100 was full of dubbed in voice-overs and heavily edited. When I saw who the director was, it capped it. No wonder Game Show Marathon had the same feel....it was R. Brian.

[/quote]

Somebody on the tvbarn2 newsgroup posted Ken Jennings' comments from his blog - apparently his experience of being on "1 vs. 100" has been ... mixed.

http://ken-jennings.com/blog/

To your point, Jennnings wrote:

"My intended `hour or two' had turned into a long weekend in L.A. The next day, behind schedule, the producers had to tape two shows rather than one, and it was clear that this was going to be a slow, agonizing process. The first ten minutes of the premiere episode took, literally, hours to complete, both for technical reasons (lighting, camera, and blocking glitches) and human ones. Bob Saget’s a quick study, but he’d only been on board for a week or two, and the gameplay wasn’t quite second nature to him yet. What’s more, the producers kept stopping tape to fine-tune his delivery, even giving him word-for-word `line readings' when Bob misphrased something they were hoping to turn into a `final answer'-style catchphrase."

I attended several tapings of the original "Pyramid" in New York back in the 1970s - and yes, with the exception of the occasional re-do because of a mistake, the shows were done more or less in real time. (Can't imagine what it must be like to sit through the taping of just one episode of "1 vs. 100" or "Deal or no Deal.")

beatlefreak84

Major Goof on 1 vs 100?
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2006, 01:50:01 PM »
I'm thinking maybe they only offer the buyout starting the question after they use the 2nd help? Although I for one didn't know they could use both helps on the same question.....

That's what I was thinking, too...and I was surprised that there was no mention of it.  I'm thinking like others here and that it was a rule instated starting with next week's episode and on.

There was one slight complaint I had about last night's episode:  for the first contestant (name escapes me, but she was the one finishing up from last week), she was debating whether to go on or not, and still had both of her helps left.  I would think, especially since that was the logic she used last week to keep going, that Saget would have said something like, "You do realize you have both of your helps left..." before accepting a decision to stop.  That statement might have been enough for her to keep going.

However, that was only a slight complaint...I'm really enjoying this show and would love to see it as a regular show on NBC!  :)

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Major Goof on 1 vs 100?
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2006, 02:19:06 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'135211\' date=\'Oct 21 2006, 11:25 AM\']
Actually, wouldn't "the loser" in yesterday's game be the person who was randomly selected with the right answer in the mob?  Since she went second, and the person who gave the wrong answer already gave her spiel, she should have played dumb and said she had only guessed to cement the 1's feeling about the wrong answer.
[/quote]
I thought she did play dumb, as she really didn't give a convincing reason why he should change his mind.  The guy still went with his wrong first instinct.

El Bandito and I agreeing?  Hmmm.

Doug
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 02:29:13 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

MikeK

• Martha!
Major Goof on 1 vs 100?
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2006, 02:23:10 PM »
[quote name=\'MrBuddwing\' post=\'135224\' date=\'Oct 21 2006, 01:49 PM\'](Can't imagine what it must be like to sit through the taping of just one episode of "1 vs. 100" or "Deal or no Deal.")[/quote]
Since you asked...  And that was for the first ~70 minutes of the season premiere.