Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The New Family Feud PC Game  (Read 15805 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
The New Family Feud PC Game
« on: October 16, 2006, 08:35:02 PM »
Let's make this quick. The game uses the current format, right down to a 5th round "sudden death." Todd Newton does the voice over for the host. You can customize your family with names, skin tones, clothes, accessories, etc.

One thing that makes this unique from other game show games are a video game staple: unlockables. By conquering various goals you can obtain new clothes/accessories for the family (worthless) or unlock up to 4 sets from "Family Feud" past. The last Karn set is given to you, and I can confirm the Combs and Dawson set among two you can get.

Now, the "fun." The rest of this contains spoilers to questions & answers, so discretion advised and all of that.

On the question "name something that beeps to alarm you" typing "smoke detector" did not turn over the "smoke alarm" card. Alarm clock was number 2, "Alarm" by itself was number 5. Pager & Cell Phone counted as two separate answers.

Speaking of separate answers, I think the developers got the raw survey data and failed to do quality control on it. "Name a section of the newspaper kids don't read" featured business, finances and stocks as three different answers.

"Name a famous tennis player" had these answers verbatim on the tiles: "Agassi, Ashe, Venus, Sampras, Serena, Navitralova."

Playing "name a famous Dolly" I typed in "Parton" and the card turned over to say "Dolly Parton." I typed in "Dolly Madison" and the card "Madison" flipped over. I struck out fast, because the remaining three answers were Barbie, Cabbage Patch Kids & Chuckie. Similarly on "name a popular swimming stroke" I said "breaststroke" and "breast" turned over. I said "back" and got a strike, only to find at the end of the round that "back stroke" was on the board.

"Name a game played at a kids party." Trying to appeal to the game's whacked sensabilities, and since the entire phrase "pin the tail on the donkey" wouldn't fit in the input, I tried "pin tail donkey," "tail on donkey" and other combos to no success. The number 1 answer (worth 60-70 points mind you) read "tail/donkey."

"Name a game show that's been around years" (sic). "The Dating Game" and "The Newlywed Game" strikes? "Dating Game" and "Newlywed" on the board. Ahhhh. "Love Connect." one of the answers? Maybe they're actually making up the surveys.

With such a feat against me, I let questions like "name something people say about money" slide by. Even if I could venture a guess as to the direction of that question (it's the root of all evil? you can't have enough of it?), there'd be no way to guess how the game would judge my answers. Questions like "a downside about eating peanut butter" got ignored by me for the same reasons.

The set renders are wonderful - the actual stuff that matters, i.e. the board, is entirely inconsistent in readable fonts, especially in fast money. I can't confirm what the unlocked sets look like beyond the Dawson one for a very odd and angering reason. It takes $100,000 to unlock one of the sets, something that requires you to play continually without quitting until you accrue $100,000 from Fast Money. After winning $80,000, the game simply failed to offer a chance to play again and went to the menu. Twice.

Roughly 5 people I've found, through tech support boards and my own acquaintances, are having trouble running this game - it crashes before it can even launch. I've seen no common trait between them that would be the root of the problem; and nobody on the boards has yet found a fix.

Should mention also...the game does not reveal the remaining answers on the last question in a game. It does include the rule where if two answers are tied at the faceoff, the faster one is the winner. Except, if one of these answers is placed under the number one card, it wins the faceoff, regardless of it coming first or second. Even though Todd says "we give you $5 for every point" the game awards your family $1 for every point scored in Fast Money.

It retails for $20, and I found copies at several EB Games locations. The game features online play - I have yet to see a single person in the online section.

-Jason
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 08:53:13 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 08:42:08 PM »
Three words: Global Star Software.

NONE of this surprises me. Aside from them actually including something unlockable.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chad1m

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 08:59:06 PM »
I though about getting the PS2 version, but I dunno now. Does anyone know if the games are drastically different? The one thing that intrigues me is unlockable sets.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 09:04:30 PM by chad1m »

Hastin

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 09:05:15 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'134684\' date=\'Oct 16 2006, 05:59 PM\']
I though about getting the PS2 version, but I dunno now. Does anyone know if the games are drastically different? The one thing that intrigues me is unlockable sets.
[/quote]

I've had it for a while (day it came out), but didn't feel like it deserved a review.

Well, it seems that the PC version is the same as the PS2 version. Poking around in the code found several instances of "Please do not remove the Memory Card (8MB) for Playstation 2". It's just a quick port to PC.

As for the sets, the Combs set refuses to unlock for me (I have it in the menu, but it refuses to click, it just takes me back to the previous menu when I click it).

I also didn't know that you had to play it continously to get the other sets. I assumed that I could unlock the $100,000 at my own pace.

The answers do have multiple selections. The best tip is to be as vague as possible. Found your "Pin the Tail on the Donkey". The three alternative answers for it are: "Donkey", "Pin Tail", and "Tail on Donkey". Be vague, very vague.

Piece of crap? Basically. It's the typical half-assed effort. If Atomic Planet would have taken the extra day or two to iron out the bugs, then it would have been good and fun. However, it feels rushed.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 09:09:16 PM by Hastin »
-Hastin :)

chad1m

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 09:07:43 PM »
Okay, but here's the biggest question of them all. Does it beat the 2000 PS/PC version?

Hastin

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 09:14:16 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'134686\' date=\'Oct 16 2006, 06:07 PM\']
Okay, but here's the biggest question of them all. Does it beat the 2000 PS/PC version?
[/quote]

I'm gonna have to give a big "NO" to that one. Louie aside, the game moved fast, and even the lack of 'set' is not made up by one in this game. At least it had full survey answers, and a real sense of pace. This doesn't.
-Hastin :)

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 09:59:10 PM »
I snagged the Feud game for the Game Boy Advance this afternoon.  It suffers from problems similar to those Jason listed for the PC.  First (and this one is somewhat excusable, since it's a portable game), for a question about what people do during Easter, I entered "Easter Egg Hunt" and "Egg Hunt", both getting zeroes.  However, the #1 answer was "Hunt Eggs".  A minor nitpick here, but the old logo is used throughout the game, even though the packaging has the new one.  Also, there's no Burton, no John, no Richard, no Todd...not that I was expecting any of them to magically appear in a GBA game.  The SFX and theme music are there, as is the ability to create your own crude looking family.  There are no unlockables either.

There is a Quick Play version, which is four rounds played by a single person plus Fast Money.  The object is to score as many points as possible, including FM.  How are the points totaled?  Single-single-single-single (and possibly a 5th single question) in the main game, with bonuses for getting all the answers in a single round.  In Fast Money, darn if I know.  I went from 258 points to 699 in Fast Money alone.  Sorry, I left my slide rule at work. :-P

I wasn't expecting the end-all, be-all game for the GBA and I didn't get it.  I rated this game a 6.0 on Gamespot, which I think isn't half bad for a $20 budget title.

I found that almost ever Best Buy in this area carried the Feud for the GBA, but not the PC game.  GameStop has the GBA Feud for the same price but GameStop's site had roughly every 10th store in my area as carrying the game.

peiboy91

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 01:13:42 AM »
The best Feud game out there would have to be the one on iWin.com, everything is spot on including the game play and sound effects/cues. The second edition just came out which isn't too much different from the first one except for a faint rendering of the Karn set in the background and scoring bonuses at the end of the game. But if anyone's going to plop down $19.99 for a Feud game, this is the way to go.

chad1m

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 06:31:30 AM »
Yeah, the iWin game is pretty sweet. I had a trial subscription for the Online Party which I extended for a couple of months. And you'd think if they were going to come out with a new game, they'd use the new logo but I guess they figure the old one is more recognizible.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 05:09:08 PM »
Does anybody have a screenshot from one of the classic sets?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 05:09:41 PM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 05:45:36 PM »
Here are two.

The Set
The Board

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

WhammyPower

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 05:50:23 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'134682\' date=\'Oct 16 2006, 07:35 PM\'] Roughly 5 people I've found, through tech support boards and my own acquaintances, are having trouble running this game - it crashes before it can even launch. I've seen no common trait between them that would be the root of the problem; and nobody on the boards has yet found a fix.[/quote]
I might as well admit that I am one of those people who can't get it to run.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 05:57:59 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'134761\' date=\'Oct 17 2006, 02:45 PM\']
Here are two.

The Set
The Board
[/quote]
OMG. They cannot be serious. I didn't even expect crap graphics like that from Global Star.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 05:58:43 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

bwood

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 06:17:50 PM »
I can't get it to run either.....my $300 laptop does, but my brand new, just out of the box, $800 Dell PC will not.

And as for the Dawson set, it's not the greatest, but it does look better than that pic shows, must have just been how it captured.

JerrysFeudinAgain

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 02:28:45 AM »
Another question,Can you also unlocked Dawson's theme/cues? Sorry to hear that gameplay is below par.