Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1 vs. 100  (Read 25919 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
1 vs. 100
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2006, 05:22:04 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'134514\' date=\'Oct 14 2006, 01:43 PM\']
I hope it does well on Friday, because it deserves a really long life (if they can amp up the difficulty a tiny bit and speed it up).  I think this would do better in syndication, but this is great for now.
[/quote]
I agree with both sentiments: the questions need to be harder, and it needs to move a little faster, but I enjoyed it (I didn't even think Saget was that bad, for a first outing), and I'd watch it again.

Why you think it would be better as a syndicated show, I have no idea. I don't see a difference.

One knock, though. In the little blurb before the show, they say "...but for a prize that big, the challenge had to be BIGGER!" Which seems a little idiotic after playing five games of Deal or No Deal a few weeks before, quite possibly the LEAST "challenging" game show EVER, for a combined $21 million.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

itiparanoid13

1 vs. 100
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2006, 05:31:10 PM »
My main theory is that in syndication, they have next to no choice but to go faster.  Of course they could keep it at the same pace, but you'd get about 6 questions a game done and the end.  They fit a hell of a lot of game in a current episode of syndie Millionaire while still keeping it dramatic, and I think 1 vs 100 can do the same  That's why I think DoND would work better in syndication too.  I still sorta like DoND, but it's starting to bug me that it moves on a near snail pace now near the end.  Some drama is nice, but I'd like to see what little game is there.  One more thing, totally off topic, for syndie DoND.  You will see no one or next to no one risk $500K at a shot between $1M and $100.  You will see some people risk $100K for a chance between $200K and $100, which would make for a more interesting and exciting show, IMO.  However, personally, I'm just glad to see some quiz show back.  Looking at the new shows coming, this is as close to a primetime "regular" quiz show as we are going to get.  "The Rich List" sounds like it'll be close, but I can't see it being better than this.

One thing bugs me about the critics: They seem to be ready to jump in and say "Too many "Deal or No Deal" moments."  Doesn't DoND have basically the same moments that most game shows of our generation (70s to today) have had?  Risking what you have to go for a lot more.  Plus, the only DoND moment I've seen is the blind guess between the money and the mob, which would be fixed by a category given.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 05:32:12 PM by itiparanoid13 »

clemon79

1 vs. 100
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2006, 05:33:06 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'134516\' date=\'Oct 14 2006, 02:31 PM\']
My main theory is that in syndication, they have next to no choice but to go faster.
[/quote]
Okay, that's a compelling argument.
That's why I think DoND would work better in syndication too.  I still sorta like DoND, but it's starting to bug me that it moves on a near snail pace now near the end.
Well, congratulations on joining the rest of us, who have been saying this from Day One. :)

itiparanoid13

1 vs. 100
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2006, 05:35:29 PM »
lol, glad to join in.  I really don't know what happened for me.  I really love the Dutch version, and I think I was just riding the high that we were getting a version of it.  Sure, it left off the quiz portion that I loved, but it was still the basic part of the game.  By the time the pony came around, I sorta took a step back and looked.  I watch it when nothing else is on now.  

I think we should just call a "jump the shark" moment in game shows "offering a pony" now.

davewalls

1 vs. 100
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2006, 05:47:27 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' post=\'134489\' date=\'Oct 14 2006, 11:07 AM\']
The Mob wasn't the only place to find familiar faces.  Wasn't inaugural solo player Brian DeCato the Extreme Dodgeball player who dumped his team's cooler onto the court?
[/quote]

I'm surprised no one else mentioned this..Brian DeCato was player ejected from the New York Bling for fighting in the final season.
Dave Walls

http://www.davewalls.net

(insert witty comment about self here)

clemon79

1 vs. 100
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2006, 05:58:32 PM »
[quote name=\'davewalls\' post=\'134519\' date=\'Oct 14 2006, 02:47 PM\']
I'm surprised no one else mentioned this..Brian DeCato was player ejected from the New York Bling for fighting in the final season.
[/quote]
I'm guessing it's because nobody wanted to acknowledge that there existed a team called the "New York Bling." :)

davewalls

1 vs. 100
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2006, 06:28:47 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'134520\' date=\'Oct 14 2006, 05:58 PM\']
I'm guessing it's because nobody wanted to acknowledge that there existed a team called the "New York Bling." :)
[/quote]

I can't say anything, consider I live in the city that's home to the "Philadelphia Benjamins".
Dave Walls

http://www.davewalls.net

(insert witty comment about self here)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
1 vs. 100
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2006, 06:33:03 PM »
[quote name=\'davewalls\' post=\'134521\' date=\'Oct 14 2006, 05:28 PM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'134520\' date=\'Oct 14 2006, 05:58 PM\']
[/quote]

I can't say anything, consider I live in the city that's home to the "Philadelphia Benjamins".
[/quote]
But when you come right down to it, isn't it all about the Benjamins?  :)

/Hey, yesterday was Diddy day in Chicago, yet he was on a first-run LETTERMAN last night.  Now that's hustle.  :)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

booboo

1 vs. 100
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2006, 07:06:38 PM »
I know that if a player answers wrong, his/her winnings are split among the remaining mob members, but the question I have is that when this happens, do the players who answered that particular question wrong get anything?

JayDLewis

1 vs. 100
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2006, 07:27:44 PM »
If anyone wants the theme, DL it at http://www.qwizx.com/gameshows

MP3, 510Kb
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
1 vs. 100
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2006, 10:33:09 PM »
I didn't see the show last night. Two questions:

1. Where does the suspense come in?

2. How is this different from The Better Sex end game besides having a bloated prize structure?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 10:33:41 PM by chris319 »

Chelsea Thrasher

1 vs. 100
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2006, 11:31:17 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'134539\' date=\'Oct 14 2006, 09:33 PM\']
I didn't see the show last night. Two questions:

1. Where does the suspense come in?
[/quote]

It's only suspenseful, at least from my seat, If you enjoy the "Will they take the bribe to leave now, or keep going and risk losing it all" structure like that Deal or No Deal employs.    It's not even necessarily THAT different, as the value of the walk-away offer is based not on the efforts of your own skill and knowledge, but on the lack thereof of your opponents.   You never know who doesn't know what, similar to how you don't know what is in which case.  

2. How is this different from The Better Sex end game besides having a bloated prize structure?
Aside from not having to worry about Bob Saget breaking into song anytime soon, and the staging difference, *I'm* honestly not sure.  

Still, it's a decent show, an entertaining enough way to fill an hour on Friday, and is a welcome replacement for the third-weekly DoND

thgames65

1 vs. 100
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2006, 01:26:57 AM »
[quote name=\'booboo\' post=\'134526\' date=\'Oct 14 2006, 06:06 PM\']
I know that if a player answers wrong, his/her winnings are split among the remaining mob members, but the question I have is that when this happens, do the players who answered that particular question wrong get anything?
[/quote]

No, they must answer correctly to enjoy the split.

Tim H.

DrJWJustice

1 vs. 100
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2006, 01:55:36 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'134481\' date=\'Oct 14 2006, 05:57 AM\']
Having went to the disasterous cattle call over the summer, I had low expectations for this game.

It's.....not bad.

The set is great, and Bob will come into his own, once A: he get's a little snarkier, and B: they quit adding script in post.

The problem : this game is stupid-easy. It's no wonder Alan Pergament didn't like it. If NBC wants a trivia show, fine. Don't dumb it down to the point where the audience doesn't come to the show expecting a bit of a challenge. Being coupled with Deal/NoDeal isn't helping this. Why follow a show that literally 'gives' money away, with a game that makes you earn it? Make it too easy and you lose the challenge. Make it too hard and you drive people to Deal. I think we're going to realize that there is no middle ground between Jeopardy and Deal.

mah two cents.
[/quote]

We've become a binary society -- two extremes with no middle ground -- and our game shows are now reflecting this as well.  *sigh*

Overall, I enjoyed the show.  Bob Saget was surprisingly good -- and I might add he seemed like he had a better first outing than Howie did.  The questions do need to go up in difficulty.  

One little picky detail, and this by no means a killer, but I would like to see some sort of graphic indiciating the number of helps that have been used.  Nothing too obtrusive, perhaps like Millionaire's lifeline indicators.  

I could see this one lasting a bit.  "Deal's" numbers aren't quite as good as they were last season, but the show's still winning its slot.  "1 vs 100" is an excellent  counterbalance to it, and it's a reason to stay home and watch TV with the family on a Friday night.

Kevin Prather

1 vs. 100
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2006, 02:31:01 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'134520\' date=\'Oct 14 2006, 02:58 PM\']
[quote name=\'davewalls\' post=\'134519\' date=\'Oct 14 2006, 02:47 PM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]
Or a show called "Extreme Dodgeball." :)