Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1 vs. 100  (Read 25962 times)

TimK2003

1 vs. 100
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2006, 10:31:09 AM »
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought of "Paranoia" whan I watched last night (It was that 'pit-like' effect that was under the contestant/host area that first reminded me of "Paranoia").

The editing was definitely sloppy!  I could have sworn that coming out of the last break of the show I *heard* Saget saying there was 47 mob members left but the video clearly shows him saying something else!!!

For most of the show when I watched Saget, you could tell he shed his "America's Funniest Home Videos" personna pretty well.  

I agree with the other posters on how I can't stand 1 v 100, DonD and the current wave of game shows in general prodding the audiences to behave as if they were at "Wrestlemania"  with over the top reactions, and signage waving from the rafters.  The show is about the contestant, not the audience.

All in all, if Saget were to ask me on this thread if I'd take The Deal or The Mob and if I had to choose what game show to watch on NBC,  hands down I'd be going with The Mob -- until Endemol releases the sharks into the water with dumb, mid-game surprises.

Oh, and upon seeing 'the new girl' from DoND...Mercy!!!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 10:33:09 AM by TimK2003 »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
1 vs. 100
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2006, 10:35:00 AM »
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'134482\' date=\'Oct 14 2006, 08:22 AM\']
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'134481\' date=\'Oct 14 2006, 05:57 AM\']
It's.....not bad.
[/quote]

But you gotta admit that Bob's nine-year-old comment was GOLD.  

Agreed on the content... but here's hoping that was to rope viewers in.  Dumbed down will get viewers in; hopefully here they'll slowly upgrade the difficulty if it gets picked up.  Here's hoping it does.
[/quote]
What they said.

And for those of you who are Congreff veterans--did my eyes play tricks on me, or was that Paul Bailey at #12 in the second game?

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

GS Warehouse

1 vs. 100
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2006, 11:07:50 AM »
The Mob wasn't the only place to find familiar faces.  Wasn't inaugural solo player Brian DeCato the Extreme Dodgeball player who dumped his team's cooler onto the court?

MikeK

• Martha!
1 vs. 100
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2006, 11:10:27 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'134486\' date=\'Oct 14 2006, 10:35 AM\']And for those of you who are Congreff veterans--did my eyes play tricks on me, or was that Paul Bailey at #12 in the second game?[/quote]
Right you are, Doug.  I got an e-mail a few days before the 1 vs. 100 tapings saying that both Paul and his mom Mary were going to be mob members.

cweaver

1 vs. 100
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2006, 12:55:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'134479\' date=\'Oct 14 2006, 05:42 AM\']
I liked last night's episode.  I thought the questions were a little heavily weighted toward pop culture, but there's an awful lot of pop culture I've missed; perhaps I just got lucky by being able to answer everything asked last night.  I liked the writing, though, very much--making you sort out which answer was which (e.g., the American Idol judges question).[/quote]

I was surprised at how many of the mob missed the American Idol question; you don't have to watch the show to know Paula Abdul sits in the middle, it's kind of out there.  But what really shocked me was the number of people who didn't know the Chicken of the Sea mermaid.  What, these people haven't been in a supermarket since 1958?  Even Jessica Simpson knew about the mermaid.

I do wish the questions got a little tougher as the money values increase.  The one about the earth's mantle was a nice touch.  

And for cryin' out loud, did the second question have to be a silly potty joke?  That just really looked to me like they were almost baiting the critics.

WhammyPower

1 vs. 100
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2006, 01:05:21 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'134481\' date=\'Oct 14 2006, 05:57 AM\'] The problem : this game is stupid-easy. It's no wonder Alan Pergament didn't like it. If NBC wants a trivia show, fine. Don't dumb it down to the point where the audience doesn't come to the show expecting a bit of a challenge. Being coupled with Deal/NoDeal isn't helping this. Why follow a show that literally 'gives' money away, with a game that makes you earn it? Make it too easy and you lose the challenge. Make it too hard and you drive people to Deal. I think we're going to realize that there is no middle ground between Jeopardy and Deal. [/quote]

The questions do seem a little easy (each contestant has gotten "mobbed"* once so far), but I didn't know about 1/3 of them.  Still, they could make the questions a little bit harder.

* "mobbed" = my new term when all of the remaining players in the mob get the question right.  "The contestant got mobbed."
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 01:05:40 PM by WhammyPower »

SRIV94

1 vs. 100
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2006, 02:43:52 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'134490\' date=\'Oct 14 2006, 10:10 AM\']
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'134486\' date=\'Oct 14 2006, 10:35 AM\']And for those of you who are Congreff veterans--did my eyes play tricks on me, or was that Paul Bailey at #12 in the second game?[/quote]
Right you are, Doug.  I got an e-mail a few days before the 1 vs. 100 tapings saying that both Paul and his mom Mary were going to be mob members.
[/quote]
I may have gotten the same E-mail, Mike, now that I think about it.  Of course, I conveniently forgot about it.  Then again, who knew that Paul would be right smack dab in camera range (not all 100 got that much face time)?

Doug
Doug
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

jrjgames

1 vs. 100
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2006, 02:46:58 PM »
I disliked this alot.  The problem with these games is it takes so much investment to get to a portion of the game that is mildly exciting and then someone either loses or bails out and then we have to START ALL OVER AGAIN!  Boring in my opinion.

Plus if it's me against the mob and the mob wants me to get the question wrong so they get the money, please tell me "WHY WOULD I ASK THE MOB FOR HELP?"  If you picked me, instead of saying "yes, I know that because....", why wouldn't I say "I just guessed, I'm probably wrong" to mislead them.  That made no sense to me.  Then the second time you ask for help, they change the rules.  There is just WAY too much going on here.

And the question type on a few, instead of saying HORSE, DOG, CAT...The one with hooves, the one that is Benji, the one with 9 lives....UG...just an added layer that is not needed!

The best thing I can say about it, it was better than Make me Famous, Make Me Rich!

Overall...Thumbs down for me! Lame!

John

tvmitch

1 vs. 100
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2006, 03:00:45 PM »
My biggest gripe: music. The show just didn't seem to have a unified music score whatsoever. I want to hear variations of the same cue, increasing keys as we get more tension, etc. Very much like Millionaire would work for me. And maybe we'll see something just like DoND after the first couple episodes...I hope so. Properly-scored music could be a *huge* help to the background noise of this show.

Also would like to see some on-screen indicator of how many "helps" the contestant has left. And the contestant should be able to choose between the Ask-The-Mob and the "Two Random Mobsters" helps too.

Other than that, great job. Bob is great. Enjoyed the "Now, one versus eleventy two!" I do miss some of the added elements of the Dutch version (losing money when passing a question, etc.) but I appreciate that the show is not complicated at all.
You should follow me on Twitter

Kevin Prather

1 vs. 100
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2006, 03:04:27 PM »
[quote name=\'jrjgames\' post=\'134503\' date=\'Oct 14 2006, 11:46 AM\']
I disliked this alot.  The problem with these games is it takes so much investment to get to a portion of the game that is mildly exciting and then someone either loses or bails out and then we have to START ALL OVER AGAIN!  Boring in my opinion.
[/quote]
Doesn't Millionaire have sort of the same problem?

Plus if it's me against the mob and the mob wants me to get the question wrong so they get the money, please tell me "WHY WOULD I ASK THE MOB FOR HELP?"  If you picked me, instead of saying "yes, I know that because....", why wouldn't I say "I just guessed, I'm probably wrong" to mislead them.
Remember, the mob wants you to go really far, and THEN lose. That way, they get more money. It's all a matter of strategy.

Then the second time you ask for help, they change the rules.  There is just WAY too much going on here.
On Millionaire, you got a 50:50, an Ask the Audience, and a Phone-a-Friend. You didn't get three Phone-a-Friends. It's simply two different "helps."

And the question type on a few, instead of saying HORSE, DOG, CAT...The one with hooves, the one that is Benji, the one with 9 lives....UG...just an added layer that is not needed!
Actually, if done correctly, this can be a great tool. You're required to not only know that Seabiscuit is a horse, but that a horse has hooves.

True, this is sort of a silly use because only an abject moron would not know a horse has hooves, but if you get a question like "Which actor is married to [insert actress here]?" and the choices are "The one who starred in [insert movie here]" then you have a very challenging question.

Overall...Thumbs down for me! Lame!
Well, to each their own. I like it.

SRIV94

1 vs. 100
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2006, 03:43:22 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'134505\' date=\'Oct 14 2006, 02:04 PM\']
[quote name=\'jrjgames\' post=\'134503\' date=\'Oct 14 2006, 11:46 AM\']
[/quote]
Doesn't Millionaire have sort of the same problem?

[/quote]

Not to mention GREED.  If any show is emblematic of "the letdown after starting over" problem, it's that one.

Doug
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 03:43:43 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug

BrandonFG

1 vs. 100
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2006, 03:46:22 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'134505\' date=\'Oct 14 2006, 03:04 PM\']
Actually, if done correctly, this can be a great tool. You're required to not only know that Seabiscuit is a horse, but that a horse has hooves.
[/quote]
Didn't get a chance to see it last nite, but I love the idea of a question like that. It actually makes you do a little extra thinking, esp. when something large is on the line.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Hastin

1 vs. 100
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2006, 03:48:31 PM »
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'134482\' date=\'Oct 14 2006, 06:22 AM\']
The ADR could have been much, much worse.
[/quote]

You can say that again. I was afraid to watch the first few episodes, especting that 80% of the dialog would be replaced in Post. Thank goodness it wasn't.

Many of my feelings have allready been posted by other members, but I can say that I really enjoyed the show. Questions were on the easy side, but with a few tweaks this can be a great show. I'm sick of 'Deal', so it's nice to have a new show.
-Hastin :)

alfonzos

1 vs. 100
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2006, 03:54:34 PM »
I enjoyed Sagat as host but I thought the questions were particularly dumb.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

itiparanoid13

1 vs. 100
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2006, 04:43:51 PM »
Good news.  The show got a 7.8/13, winning its time slot.  It actually beat DoND in the ratings, which is great, because this blows DoND out of the water, IMO.  I hope it does well on Friday, because it deserves a really long life (if they can amp up the difficulty a tiny bit and speed it up).  I think this would do better in syndication, but this is great for now.