Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Best of Match Game DVD set  (Read 32740 times)

imadkhuri

The Best of Match Game DVD set
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2006, 10:31:09 AM »
I think it was late 1977, actually, because when GSN brought MG '77 back from the third commercial break, I could hear the tail end of the ticket/fee plug music.

Imad

[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'138102\' date=\'Nov 17 2006, 06:10 AM\']
But I'm not sure NBC did it on all of their daytime game shows during that time, and I remember the Card Sharks ticket plugs leading into segments a couple of times.

Match Game's prize plugs were leading into segments by 1978.  GSN actually ran some of them for a while...later on they cut them out and went right to Gene - usually in mid-sentence.
[/quote]

Bob Zager

« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2006, 11:43:16 AM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'138089\' date=\'Nov 16 2006, 10:40 PM\']
If anyone cares, I just got the Match Game Documentary press kit today, and it's pretty nice.  It came with a DVD of the documentary (which I'll check out tomorrow), a Match Game DVD, and, interestingly enough, an episode of the show.  It's from 1974 and has Jack Narz, BS, CRN, Elaine Joyce, RD, and Fannie Flag which apparently caused a lot of laughing with two eggs placed in a very nice location if I do say so myself.  It has some ticket and product plug (which ought to cause a gigantic simultaneous orgasm on the GSN boards for some reason) with bizarre purple lights and weird music.  I couldn't care less, but I've never seen them before (MG was way before my time) and it was interesting.  I can get a picture of it once I get a few free minutes.  Apparently it's the first scoreless tie with everyone rather boozed up.
[/quote]

I'd read at gameshownewsnet.com, that the documentary is narrated by Jamie Farr.

I don't ever recall Farr appearing as a guest on MG.  Anybody know if he did?  I know he guested on many other game shows.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2006, 11:45:13 AM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'138115\' date=\'Nov 17 2006, 08:43 AM\']
I don't ever recall Farr appearing as a guest on MG.  Anybody know if he did?  I know he guested on many other game shows.
[/quote]
As I like to say about Coolio...

Jamie Farr....was available.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zod20

« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2006, 01:55:43 PM »
theres some really funny little clips of MATCH GAME heres the link

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore...st?id=201595871

WhammyPower

« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2006, 04:01:40 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'138117\' date=\'Nov 17 2006, 10:45 AM\'] [quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'138115\' date=\'Nov 17 2006, 08:43 AM\']
[/quote]
As I like to say about Coolio...

Jamie Farr....was available. [/quote]
I do seem to have images of Farr in the 1st and 5th seats in my head... I could be wrong.

Bob Zager

« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2006, 04:28:53 PM »
[quote name=\'deknaj\' post=\'138090\' date=\'Nov 16 2006, 11:54 PM\']
So has anyone heard about the Match Game DVD that Endless Games was supposed to release?
[/quote]

The website www.funagain.com mentions that it won't be out until June 2007!  

Just found that out while doing a search.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2006, 04:38:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'138134\' date=\'Nov 17 2006, 01:28 PM\']
The website www.funagain.com mentions that it won't be out until June 2007!  

Just found that out while doing a search.
[/quote]
Funagain also at one time said they had copies of Traumfabrik in stock when they didn't.

No, I'm not bitter.

(Yeah, a remake is coming out. I want the original.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

imadkhuri

« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2006, 10:19:22 PM »
Just of curiosity, what else did the press kit include?  Or was it just the DVD's?

Imad

[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'138089\' date=\'Nov 16 2006, 07:40 PM\']
If anyone cares, I just got the Match Game Documentary press kit today, and it's pretty nice.  It came with a DVD of the documentary (which I'll check out tomorrow), a Match Game DVD, and, interestingly enough, an episode of the show.  It's from 1974 and has Jack Narz, BS, CRN, Elaine Joyce, RD, and Fannie Flag which apparently caused a lot of laughing with two eggs placed in a very nice location if I do say so myself.  It has some ticket and product plug (which ought to cause a gigantic simultaneous orgasm on the GSN boards for some reason) with bizarre purple lights and weird music.  I couldn't care less, but I've never seen them before (MG was way before my time) and it was interesting.  I can get a picture of it once I get a few free minutes.  Apparently it's the first scoreless tie with everyone rather boozed up.
[/quote]

uncamark

« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2006, 10:37:08 PM »
For the record, NBC's daytime commercial structure until the late 70s was six one-minute breaks--breaks 3 and 4 were separated by some sort of fee plug/ticket plug thingy.  It was a leftover of the days when there was a station break at the quarter hour and programs had 15-minute sponsorships.  By the late 60s, CBS and NBC reformatted so that instead of a little station break every 15 minute, there was a longer one every half-hour.

The more notable Segment 3A bits:  "Concentration" with the American Tourister or Westclox fee plug followed by a shot of the audience reluctantly clapping along to Milt Kaye pumping out "Puppet on a String" (when they weren't waving at the camera), "Hollywood Squares" with Peter Marshall saying, "If any of our players win five matches and $2,000, we have a special prize for them--Kenny!" and Don Pardo intoning, "The 22-volume new edition of the Encyclopedia International is the sole authority for questions and answers on 'Jeopardy!'--we'll return to Art Fleming and the Double Jeopardy! portion of our game after these messages."

WhammyPower

« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2006, 01:42:33 PM »
Prices at various stores:

Amazon - $29.99 (Free "Super Saver" shipping)
Best Buy - $21.99 (available at some stores, shipping is available)  [font=\"Palatino\"][color=\"#993300\"]"NEED IT NOW"[/color] PICK[/font]
Circuit City - $19.99 (shipping only)
Deep Discount - $19.05 (free shipping) [font=\"Palatino\"][color=\"#993300\"]BEST[/color] PICK[/font]
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 01:46:30 PM by WhammyPower »

Pyramid80

« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2006, 02:19:36 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' post=\'138444\' date=\'Nov 21 2006, 12:42 PM\']
Prices at various stores:

Amazon - $29.99 (Free "Super Saver" shipping)
Best Buy - $21.99 (available at some stores, shipping is available)  [font=\"Palatino\"][color=\"#993300\"]"NEED IT NOW"[/color] PICK[/font]
Circuit City - $19.99 (shipping only)
Deep Discount - $19.05 (free shipping) [font=\"Palatino\"][color=\"#993300\"]BEST[/color] PICK[/font]
[/quote]

After searching Best Buy locations that had it available...I went on a little trip during my lunch break.  After searching through the DVD's...it was no where to be found.  I asked one of the associates if they had it and he said all of the new releases had been put out.  He checked the back of the store and brought a copy out to me.  I guess they are holding them in the back...thinking that no one would want them.

aaron sica

« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2006, 02:34:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Pyramid80\' post=\'138450\' date=\'Nov 21 2006, 02:19 PM\']
After searching Best Buy locations that had it available...I went on a little trip during my lunch break.  After searching through the DVD's...it was no where to be found.  I asked one of the associates if they had it and he said all of the new releases had been put out.  He checked the back of the store and brought a copy out to me.  I guess they are holding them in the back...thinking that no one would want them.
[/quote]

That's what happened to me with that one, and with the "Sesame Street: Old School" that came out last month; if the website says they're in stock, they're in stock. :)

I got mine at Best Buy (as they seem to be the only major retailer with it in stock),  and I'm currently scanning the disks at the moment. Some of you may think I wasted $20 (and some may not). At the risk of sounding like a fanboi, I got the set not so much for the episodes (although it IS great to have some eps complete and uncut, including "School Riot"), but for the fee and ticket plugs. If that excites you, too, you will NOT be disappointed.

Disc 1 doesn't reallly have many (I'll expand on Disc 1 in a bit), but Disc 2 is a virtual TREASURE TROVE. The CBS eps on that disc don't have any ticket plugs but the fee plugs are something else...A little "Match game 76" logo and then homing in on a single soul in the audience on one, and the "School Riot" episode has a similar plug.  Also on there is the last syndie ep, also with a ticket plug (?) that's never been seen since its original airing, with CNR and his dummy. Some of the ticket plugs with the faces are downright hilarious, I LOL'd at some of them. Johnny O does chuckle at the end of a few, apparently they made him laugh too.

Disc 3 and 4 have some more ticket and fee plugs (the MG77 episode on Disc 3 includes an early faces ticket promo) as well.  Apparently the MGPM eps didn't do ticket plugs, or else none of the episodes on the discs had them.

Back to Disc 1...I did notice that on the 10/2/76 episode that in the second chapter, near the end, the video and audio are WAY out of sync (about 3 or 4 seconds off). This was fixed by chapter 3 of that episode. I'm curious if anyone else came across that, too.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 03:19:35 PM by aaron sica »

Ian Wallis

« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2006, 04:10:54 PM »
Disc 3 and 4 have some more ticket and fee plugs (the MG77 episode on Disc 3 includes an early faces ticket promo) as well. Apparently the MGPM eps didn't do ticket plugs, or else none of the episodes on the discs had them.

From my vague memories of watching them originally, I'm pretty sure the PM episodes never had any ticket plugs.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 04:11:29 PM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

uncamark

« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2006, 04:19:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'138463\' date=\'Nov 21 2006, 03:10 PM\']
Disc 3 and 4 have some more ticket and fee plugs (the MG77 episode on Disc 3 includes an early faces ticket promo) as well. Apparently the MGPM eps didn't do ticket plugs, or else none of the episodes on the discs had them.

From my vague memories of watching them originally, I'm pretty sure the PM episodes never had any ticket plugs.
[/quote]

They didn't.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2006, 05:22:35 PM »
Since MGPM was seen on the ABC O&O's, it would have been a little strange to see a ticket plug to CBS Television City.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.