Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Best of Match Game DVD set  (Read 32742 times)

Jimmy Owen

The Best of Match Game DVD set
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 03:25:51 PM »
I'm not sure I would jump to the same conclusion about the fee plugs, etc., but it would be nice.  I do have a Brentwood "Ozzie and Harriet" DVD that, for some episodes, leaves in the original sponsor tags and commercials (depending on what they had to work with), so it is possible.  I want to support game show DVD releases so I will be buying this set.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2006, 03:31:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'134869\' date=\'Oct 18 2006, 03:25 PM\']
I'm not sure I would jump to the same conclusion about the fee plugs, etc., but it would be nice.  I do have a Brentwood "Ozzie and Harriet" DVD that, for some episodes, leaves in the original sponsor tags and commercials (depending on what they had to work with), so it is possible.  I want to support game show DVD releases so I will be buying this set.[/quote]
I'm probably in the same boat, though the few seconds of "stay tuned for Tattletales" really doesn't do anything for me, and the episodes themselves are going to be things we've seen on GSN countless times before. Many of us already have copies of the original pilot, though that's otherwise a pretty nifty bonus.

Now, original 70's commercials?  THAT would be a feature!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TimK2003

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2006, 10:13:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'134871\' date=\'Oct 18 2006, 02:31 PM\']

I'm probably in the same boat, though the few seconds of "stay tuned for Tattletales" really doesn't do anything for me, and the episodes themselves are going to be things we've seen on GSN countless times before. Many of us already have copies of the original pilot, though that's otherwise a pretty nifty bonus.

[/quote]

I hope that if the "multi-face" ticket plugs are available on whatever masters they get to use for the DVD set, that Brentwood does NOT choose to omit them simply for the lame excuse that:

"People are gonna start writing to CBS TV City for Tickets thinking the show is still on".

Isn't that the original reason why GSN killed the ticket/contestant plugs?

cweaver

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2006, 11:29:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'134871\' date=\'Oct 18 2006, 02:31 PM\']
[/quote]

Not to get anyone's hopes up but that's not 100% out of the question.  After all the commercials did make it into the Queen for a Day DVD.  (I realize they were recorded/kinescoped off the air along with the show itself but they still didn't edit them out, at least not from most of the shows.)

Johnissoevil

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2006, 03:46:31 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'134921\' date=\'Oct 18 2006, 10:13 PM\']
I hope that if the "multi-face" ticket plugs are available on whatever masters they get to use for the DVD set, that Brentwood does NOT choose to omit them simply for the lame excuse that:

"People are gonna start writing to CBS TV City for Tickets thinking the show is still on".

[/quote]

They could always put in a disclaimer similar to USA Network's "Phone number not active," with "This show is no longer in production."  But then again, everyone, even the non-die hards, should know that Gene Rayburn is no longer with us.  That would be one clue.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

WestCovinaBoy

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2006, 05:10:35 AM »
The fact that the show's title (aside from syndie and pm versions) is Match Game '7x should be the biggest clue of all.  Anyone who would write in for tickets is an idiot or an unfunny practical joker and deserves to be sent back an envelope filled with spiders.  (Happy Halloween.)

cweaver

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2006, 11:47:35 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'134921\' date=\'Oct 18 2006, 09:13 PM\']

[/quote]

I can see people (younger, out of the loop) being that dense if they happen to see it pop up on TV (and may not know the announcer reading the address has himself been dead for 20 years).  I still think it's the height of stupidity but I can see it happening.  But I can't fathom the amount of ignorance it would take for someone to buy or rent the DVD and then honestly think they can write and get tickets to see Gene, Brett, etc. live at CBS Television City.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 11:47:59 AM by cweaver »

mmb5

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2006, 12:08:57 PM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'134969\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 11:47 AM\']
I can see people (younger, out of the loop) being that dense if they happen to see it pop up on TV (and may not know the announcer reading the address has himself been dead for 20 years).  I still think it's the height of stupidity but I can see it happening.  But I can't fathom the amount of ignorance it would take for someone to buy or rent the DVD and then honestly think they can write and get tickets to see Gene, Brett, etc. live at CBS Television City.
[/quote]
Do not under any circumstances underestimate viewer stupidity.  The Coast Guard used to get letters asking why they aren't rescuing Gilligan.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2006, 12:11:58 PM »
Whether this will lead to more classic game shows on DVDs remains to be seen, but it seems to prove there's a market for everything on DVD (case in point: Stacked: The Complete Series is also coming in November).  However, I'm not getting my hopes up for a Best of TPiR for two reasons:[list=1]
  • Once you take out the episodes Bob Barker would veto--the ones with furs, foreign cars, or Dian and Holly, there's not a lot of usable material left.
  • If CBS can block repeats from any era from running on GSN, they can block this.
And if I were the mighty Zinkdor, I would banninate the first person to suggest The Best of Press Your Luck.  This is why I'm not a moderator.  If you can't abuse your power, it defeats the whole purpose of having power at all.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2006, 12:18:53 PM »
And if I were the mighty Zinkdor, I would banninate the first person to suggest The Best of Press Your Luck. This is why I'm not a moderator. If you can't abuse your power, it defeats the whole purpose of having power at all.

Just out of interest I check the GSN boards about once every 2 weeks - and it's already been suggested there.

The Match Game set is one I'd probably buy.  I never did get the Jeopardy set last year, mainly because it contained episodes I already have on tape; although the behind the scenes features do pique my interest.

For any that did get it (and assuming it's still available), would you recommend it?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

tvmitch

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2006, 01:36:44 PM »
If this MG DVD set sells well, my money is on a Family Feud set for the next release. I think that it might be fairly popular and could contain both civilian and celebrity episodes. Lots of moments to choose from for a DVD set.
You should follow me on Twitter

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2006, 01:39:26 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'134998\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 10:36 AM\']
If this MG DVD set sells well, my money is on a Family Feud set for the next release. I think that it might be fairly popular and could contain both civilian and celebrity episodes. Lots of moments to choose from for a DVD set.
[/quote]
Boy, I sure hope it would have the "September" episode. I just haven't seen that clip nearly as much as I would like.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dzinkin

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2006, 01:52:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'134980\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 12:18 PM\']
And if I were the mighty Zinkdor, I would banninate the first person to suggest The Best of Press Your Luck.
Just out of interest I check the GSN boards about once every 2 weeks - and it's already been suggested there.
[/quote]
I'd be far more likely to ban someone for posting to the GSN boards than for suggesting a PYL DVD set.  (NOTE: For the benefit of the individual who emailed me in a panic the last time I made a similar comment... relax, this one's a joke too.)

Seriously, you're dealing with people who think it's a "fact" that people are clamoring en masse for GSN to rerun Scrabble and that real, successful production companies use free web space to host their sites.  I wouldn't be surprised if they were demanding, say, full-season sets of ABC Password.

[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' post=\'134977\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 12:11 PM\']
If you can't abuse your power, it defeats the whole purpose of having power at all.
[/quote]
You've been hacking into the Clementson/Ottinger '08 campaign computers, haven't you?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 01:57:21 PM by dzinkin »

TimK2003

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2006, 02:12:20 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'134998\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 12:36 PM\']
[/quote]

Though Feud could be on the horizon if the MGDVD sells well, I really think the first few game show DVD sets are gonna be relying on selling power of the celebrities on these discs  -- not the oddball contestants.  

So Celebrity Feuds may work, Hollywood Squares and Tattletales would definitely work, and I can see the Passwords working into Box Sets before you see a Card Sharks, Joker's Wild, or any other civilian-only show popping up on DVD.

Neumms

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2006, 02:36:19 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'135007\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 01:12 PM\']
So Celebrity Feuds may work, Hollywood Squares and Tattletales would definitely work, and I can see the Passwords working into Box Sets before you see a Card Sharks, Joker's Wild, or any other civilian-only show popping up on DVD.
[/quote]

Tattletales? You think people would pay money to watch Bill Shatner argue with his wife of a couple marriages ago? Or to see Fannie Flagg and Dick Sargent sort of pretend to be a couple?

Password I buy, though, because it had actual celebrities in the day. Jimmy Stewart, Jerry Lewis (who was fun to watch because he'd seethe at the slower contestants), Lucy, Jack Benny, Angie Dickinson, Sammy.