Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Best of Match Game DVD set  (Read 32754 times)

Bob Zager

The Best of Match Game DVD set
« on: October 12, 2006, 08:03:39 PM »
I'd heard some talk of such a set in the works, and here's a link to pre-order the set, tentatively coming out next month:

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Match-Game-Dvd-...4?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 08:22:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'134320\' date=\'Oct 12 2006, 05:03 PM\']
I'd heard some talk of such a set in the works, and here's a link to pre-order the set, tentatively coming out next month:

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Match-Game-Dvd-...4?ie=UTF8&s=dvd
[/quote]
Interesting. I wonder if these folks are in any way associated with the folks who did the Blankety Blanks set down in Australia.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

aaron sica

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 11:55:15 PM »
Also interesting was the "Customers who bought items like this also bought" section with a bunch of old films. A connection to game shows, although very far fetched - can be found in there...

TimK2003

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 10:03:36 AM »
A FOUR disc set -- Excellent!

However, I did not see anywhere on what the total time of all 4 discs is.  I'm also wondering if it is 10-20 of the most interesting shows (in the DVD-seller's mind) or if it is a montage of great moments, or both?

If they did their homework, and put together a good collection with a lot of bonus material, this might open the door to additional celebrity-driven shows like Tattletales and Hollywood Squares (I just cannot see any civilian-only shows coming to DVD anytime soon).  

If they just pulled one or two weeks worth of random shows (like on some of the ol' GSN Game Show Saturday Nights) and no extras, then that might just kill that possibility of and game-show sequels.

(crossing fingers)

cweaver

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 10:41:21 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'134374\' date=\'Oct 13 2006, 09:03 AM\']
However, I did not see anywhere on what the total time of all 4 discs is.  I'm also wondering if it is 10-20 of the most interesting shows (in the DVD-seller's mind) or if it is a montage of great moments, or both?
[/quote]

I would think surely the selection of episodes was done with utmost care and not willy-nilly.  After all this show has been rerun on GSN for years and years and the entire series pretty much exists, so not only do they have a lot to choose from, they have years of market research already done for them to determine the most memorable shows (like the "school riot" episode, or the one with Kirstie Alley as a contestant).  

I would hope to see some extras like outtakes and perhaps some newer interviews.  They'd be fools not to at least include the Lesko blooper as an extra.

scottua1

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 10:44:48 AM »
According to DeepDiscountDVD, extras include:
Featurettes 1. A Tribute to Gene Rayburn
2. Best Momemts of Match Game
3. Original Pilot (1962)
Production Interview - Brett Somers - Guest Star

BTW, you can pre-order it there for $19.05, with free shipping: http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=BHV047508.

Neumms

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 10:59:24 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'134374\' date=\'Oct 13 2006, 09:03 AM\']
If they did their homework, and put together a good collection with a lot of bonus material, this might open the door to additional celebrity-driven shows like Tattletales and Hollywood Squares (I just cannot see any civilian-only shows coming to DVD anytime soon).
[/quote]

I've often hoped that "Hollywood Squares" would get to DVD after GSN bagged it. The older episodes, at least, had big promotable names besides Paul Lynde and the other regulars. The trouble is it might be one of those awful Guthy-Renker productions.

cmjb13

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 01:06:23 PM »
The company dealing with this (Brentwood Home Video/BCI Eclipse/Navarre) didn't really have a good reputation with DVD releases until they did a fantasic job with He-Man.

Here's hoping this one is done just as good.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

narzo

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 07:51:32 PM »

The Pyramids

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 07:56:04 PM »
[quote name=\'narzo\' post=\'134779\' date=\'Oct 17 2006, 07:51 PM\']
more info now up:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6515
[/quote]

Sounds great.

TimK2003

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 09:36:49 PM »
 "The Best of Match Game" features 30 of the show's greatest episodes, uncut and digitally transferred from their original masters.    

Oooooh!  This would mean seeing the long lost promotional consideration plugs from the CBS run (which used to separate 2 commercial breaks) *and* the infamous split screen ticket plugs *PLUS* no GSN interruptions!  *That* right there is worth the price of admission!!!

The success of the series led to a spin-off game show, the popular "Family Feud," hosted by Richard Dawson.  

Feud was a spin-off of Match Game !?!?!??  That's like saying "Deal or No Deal" is a spin-off of "Treasure Hunt"  

Sure, the Super Match could arguably be the part of Match Game that inspired Feud, but the only real Match Game/Dawson spin-off was when they brought in the Star Wheel which ultimately 'spun' him right off of the show!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 09:39:52 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'134795\' date=\'Oct 17 2006, 06:36 PM\']
Feud was a spin-off of Match Game !?!?!??
[/quote]
Yes, yes it was. Specifically, the Audience Match.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

mparrish11

• Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 12:18:09 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'134795\' date=\'Oct 17 2006, 08:36 PM\']
That's like saying "Deal or No Deal" is a spin-off of "Treasure Hunt"  

[/quote]

...and an argument could be made for that, too.  The whole point of both games is to see how much a contestant is willing to gamble away for that elusive grand prize.
--Matt

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 01:29:02 PM »
[quote name=\'mparrish11\' post=\'134854\' date=\'Oct 18 2006, 12:18 PM\']
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'134795\' date=\'Oct 17 2006, 08:36 PM\']
That's like saying "Deal or No Deal" is a spin-off of "Treasure Hunt"  
[/quote]
...and an argument could be made for that, too.  [/quote]
A poor one, though.  Traditionally, you think of a "spin-off" as being something that a production company does with one property to launch another.  You could argue (though I wouldn't) that DoND was influenced by Treasure Hunt, or inspired by Treasure Hunt or even -- if you really want to go out on a limb -- adapted from Treasure Hunt, but you can't really call it a spin-off.

In the case of Family Feud, there's a very clear connection between "We polled a recent studio audience and got their best response to this..." and the same company's "We polled 100 people, the top six answers are on the board."  Whether it was the specific intent of the Goodson-Todman creative people to make a spin-off or not is something that only they know.  Still, you've got not only the similarities of structure but you've also got the textbook case of a supporting player on one show becoming the lead on the new one.  I think the use of the term "spin-off" is fair in this case.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

aaron sica

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 01:56:03 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'134795\' date=\'Oct 17 2006, 09:36 PM\']
Oooooh!  This would mean seeing the long lost promotional consideration plugs from the CBS run (which used to separate 2 commercial breaks) *and* the infamous split screen ticket plugs *PLUS* no GSN interruptions!  *That* right there is worth the price of admission!!!
[/quote]

Oh wow, if that is indeed true, I will be also buying this set. Most of the time I will buy TV Show DVD sets if they're shows that either aren't on TV anymore or aren't on TV where I live ("Too Close for Comfort", "Partridge Family", and "Diff'rent Strokes" fall under this category). I didn't see the appeal of the MG DVD set until you mentioned that. Getting to see the consideration plugs is DEFINITELY worth the price.

"Ho ho ho, on with the show, and our star, Gene Rayburn!"