Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Best of Match Game DVD set  (Read 32749 times)

Ian Wallis

The Best of Match Game DVD set
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2006, 03:50:55 PM »
Does it strike anybody else after seeing the list of episodes that (a) there's no rhyme or reason to how the disks are put together and (b) there are way too many post-Dawson episodes, and of those, too many before McLean Stevenson became a regular and got the show rolling again?

I noticed that too.  I figured they'd put them all in chronological order, but it's nice that this is coming out at all.

Since tape dates are listed, does that mean they include the slates?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

mmb5

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2006, 04:02:05 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'137966\' date=\'Nov 15 2006, 03:36 PM\']
Hearing about the audio levels on Brett's extras, it wouldn't surprise me at all if all the fee plugs and consideration spots were left in, simply because taking them out from the masters would be additional work for the folks who made the set.

So, quite possibility, their laziness is netting them a new extra sales from the die-hards.
[/quote]
Except they had to do some editing, since the master tapes most likely have the full commercial hole while the on the DVD you can barely tell the commercial break.  The School Riot episode consolation plugs are actually on an island of their own -- they came in after Gene's "fade to black" and ended with "we'll be back with Match Game '77 right after this."

The tapes from 73 are also starting to show their wear, there's the occasional green line especially on panel shots, but I believe you see those even on the GSN airings.

Despite these nit picks -- this is still 30 episodes (31 if you count MG '62) you can now *legally* own.  Only 73 more sets for a complete run.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

mmb5

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2006, 04:04:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'137969\' date=\'Nov 15 2006, 03:50 PM\']
Since tape dates are listed, does that mean they include the slates?
[/quote]

No slates (at least on the five episodes I watched snippets of, I do have to you know, "work", too.)

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

uncamark

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2006, 05:26:23 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'137972\' date=\'Nov 15 2006, 03:02 PM\']
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'137966\' date=\'Nov 15 2006, 03:36 PM\']
Hearing about the audio levels on Brett's extras, it wouldn't surprise me at all if all the fee plugs and consideration spots were left in, simply because taking them out from the masters would be additional work for the folks who made the set.

So, quite possibility, their laziness is netting them a new extra sales from the die-hards.
[/quote]
Except they had to do some editing, since the master tapes most likely have the full commercial hole while the on the DVD you can barely tell the commercial break.  The School Riot episode consolation plugs are actually on an island of their own -- they came in after Gene's "fade to black" and ended with "we'll be back with Match Game '77 right after this."[/quote]

SOP at CBS daytime during that time--breaks 2 and 3 were one minute of spots, plug, one more minute of spots and back to show.  On "MG," the ticket plug ran in break 2 and the fee plugs ran in break 3 (once they were taken off of the top of the credits).  Most of CBS' other game shows until 1978 or so did a similar arrangement--"TJW" did a ticket plug in break 2 and a Spiegel plug in break 3, "Gambit" fee plugs in break 2 (with Wink doing the "we have some nice gifts for all of our couples on today's show--here's Kenny to tell us about them" lead-in) and ticket plugs in break 3, etc.

aaron sica

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2006, 05:34:25 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'138065\' date=\'Nov 16 2006, 05:26 PM\']
SOP at CBS daytime during that time--breaks 2 and 3 were one minute of spots, plug, one more minute of spots and back to show.  On "MG," the ticket plug ran in break 2 and the fee plugs ran in break 3 (once they were taken off of the top of the credits).  Most of CBS' other game shows until 1978 or so did a similar arrangement--"TJW" did a ticket plug in break 2 and a Spiegel plug in break 3, "Gambit" fee plugs in break 2 (with Wink doing the "we have some nice gifts for all of our couples on today's show--here's Kenny to tell us about them" lead-in) and ticket plugs in break 3, etc.
[/quote]

What year was it when the fee plugs moved from the end of the prorgram to break 3? I'm thinking 1974...

uncamark

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2006, 05:51:46 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'138066\' date=\'Nov 16 2006, 04:34 PM\']
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'138065\' date=\'Nov 16 2006, 05:26 PM\']
[/quote]

What year was it when the fee plugs moved from the end of the prorgram to break 3? I'm thinking 1974...
[/quote]

That sounds reasonable to me.  It was still before CBS changed the wording on the plug list and started listing the non-fee plug prize suppliers (which, of course, "MG" didn't have any of).

TimK2003

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2006, 07:32:42 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'138065\' date=\'Nov 16 2006, 06:26 PM\']

[/quote]

I remember NBC doing something similar in the early 70's, but I don't seem to recall ABC doing it at all.  Going back to NBC, when did they stop the practice?  I'm thinking it was around the time that The Gong Show debuted.

cweaver

« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2006, 10:16:25 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'138080\' date=\'Nov 16 2006, 08:32 PM\']
I remember NBC doing something similar in the early 70's, but I don't seem to recall ABC doing it at all.  Going back to NBC, when did they stop the practice?  I'm thinking it was around the time that The Gong Show debuted.
[/quote]

I have some Hollywood Squares from 1980 in which they continue to do that.  In fact the mid show spot was not only a prize plug but also included the rarely-seen ticket plug.  But I'm not sure NBC did it on all of their daytime game shows during that time, and I remember the Card Sharks ticket plugs leading into segments a couple of times.

itiparanoid13

« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2006, 10:40:35 PM »
If anyone cares, I just got the Match Game Documentary press kit today, and it's pretty nice.  It came with a DVD of the documentary (which I'll check out tomorrow), a Match Game DVD, and, interestingly enough, an episode of the show.  It's from 1974 and has Jack Narz, BS, CRN, Elaine Joyce, RD, and Fannie Flag which apparently caused a lot of laughing with two eggs placed in a very nice location if I do say so myself.  It has some ticket and product plug (which ought to cause a gigantic simultaneous orgasm on the GSN boards for some reason) with bizarre purple lights and weird music.  I couldn't care less, but I've never seen them before (MG was way before my time) and it was interesting.  I can get a picture of it once I get a few free minutes.  Apparently it's the first scoreless tie with everyone rather boozed up.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 10:55:59 PM by itiparanoid13 »

deknaj

« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2006, 11:54:59 PM »
So has anyone heard about the Match Game DVD that Endless Games was supposed to release?

imadkhuri

« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2006, 01:18:26 AM »
What did you do to get the press Kit?

Imad

[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'138089\' date=\'Nov 16 2006, 07:40 PM\']
If anyone cares, I just got the Match Game Documentary press kit today, and it's pretty nice.  It came with a DVD of the documentary (which I'll check out tomorrow), a Match Game DVD, and, interestingly enough, an episode of the show.  It's from 1974 and has Jack Narz, BS, CRN, Elaine Joyce, RD, and Fannie Flag which apparently caused a lot of laughing with two eggs placed in a very nice location if I do say so myself.  It has some ticket and product plug (which ought to cause a gigantic simultaneous orgasm on the GSN boards for some reason) with bizarre purple lights and weird music.  I couldn't care less, but I've never seen them before (MG was way before my time) and it was interesting.  I can get a picture of it once I get a few free minutes.  Apparently it's the first scoreless tie with everyone rather boozed up.
[/quote]

itiparanoid13

« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2006, 07:42:09 AM »
Uh, I do press work.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2006, 08:09:03 AM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'138098\' date=\'Nov 17 2006, 07:42 AM\']
Uh, I do press work.[/quote]
...and i'll get a copy later today because one of my best friends in Lansing does press work, and now that I know to ask him for it, he'll pass it my way.  Thanks for the tip!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2006, 09:10:14 AM »
But I'm not sure NBC did it on all of their daytime game shows during that time, and I remember the Card Sharks ticket plugs leading into segments a couple of times.

Match Game's prize plugs were leading into segments by 1978.  GSN actually ran some of them for a while...later on they cut them out and went right to Gene - usually in mid-sentence.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

sshuffield70

« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2006, 09:56:33 AM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'138089\' date=\'Nov 16 2006, 10:40 PM\']
[/quote]

A GSN e-mail depicted this same panel in caricature form.