Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Best of Match Game DVD set  (Read 32739 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
The Best of Match Game DVD set
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2006, 04:11:30 PM »
If music clearances weren't so doggone expensive, I'd think there'd be enough interest in a GONG DVD set.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2006, 04:12:51 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'134999\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 12:39 PM\']
Boy, I sure hope it would have the "September" episode. I just haven't seen that clip nearly as much as I would like.
[/quote]

I lol'd.  :)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

mmb5

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2006, 01:07:41 PM »
And the episodes are (the dates are tape dates, not air dates):

Disc 1:
Episode 1 (Richard Dawson [RD], Anita Gillette, Jack Klugman, Michael Landon, Vicki Lawrence, Jo Ann Pflug) [note that in the packaging this is misidentified as the pilot]
Episode 3 (same)
Episode 11 (RD, Brett Sommers [BS], Bert Convy, Jaye P. Morgan, Charles Nelson Reilly [CNR], Betty White [BW])
Episode 51, 8/18/73 (Stu Gilliam, Loretta Swit, BS, McLean Stevenson [MS], RD, Ann Elder)
Episode 158, 2/15/74 (Steve Allen, BS, CNR, RD, Fannie Flagg [FF], Kaye Ballard)
Episode 151, 2/17/79 [PM] (Kukla and Ollie, BS, CNR, Eva Gabor, Arte Johnson, FF)
Episode 16-5, 8/24/80 (Charles Siebert, BS, CNR, Robert Donner, Phyllis Davis, Marcia Wallace [MW])
Episode 827 10/2/76 (Avery Scrheiber, BS, CNR, Nancy Kulp, RD, Joyce Bulifant [JB])

Disc 2:
Episodes 35-5, 1/15/82 (BS, CNR, MS, Skip Stephenson, Melinda O'Fee, BW) [last taped episode]
Episodes 3, 7/13/75 [PM] (William Shatner, BS, CNR, Lee Meriwether, RD, JB)
Episode 870, 12/11/76 (BS, CNR, RD., Orson Bean, BW, Mary Wickes)
Episode 1005, 2/29/77 [Yes, I know that's impossible] (Ed Asner, BS, Debralee Scott [DS], RD, Patti Deutsch [PD], CNR) [School Riot, I believe?]
Episode 1228, 4/29/78 (David Doyle, BS, CNR, Elaine Joyce [EJ], RD, BW)
Episode 41-1, 7/21/79 (Robert Pine, BS, CNR, Jamie Lee Curtis, Dick Martin, BW)
Episode 11-5, 8/26/79 (Foster Brooks, BS, CNR, Sarah Purcell, Scoey Mitchlll, FF)
Episode 16-4, 8/24/80 (Charles Siebert, BS, CNR, Robert Donner, Phyllis Davis, Marcia Wallace [MW])

Disc 3:
Episode 4, 7/13/75 [PM] (Bill Macy, CNR, BS, EJ, RD, BW)
Episodes 914 and 915, 2/5/77 [2 episodes] (Dick Gautier, BS, CNR, Jo Ann Pflug, RD, FF)
Episodes 42-2/3/4, 7/21/79 [3 episodes] (Robert Pine, BS, CNR, Jamie Lee Curtis, Dick Martin, BW)
Episode 44-4, 9/5/80 (Bart Braverman, BS, CNR, Jamie Lee Curtis, Richard Paul, FF)
Episode 6-28, 11/2/80 [PM] (Don Sutton, Bart Braverman, BS, CNR, Phyllis Davis, Marcia Wallace)

Disc 4:
Episode 6, ?/?/73 (Bob Barker, Arlene Francis, RD, Michael Learned, Richard Thomas, Della Reese)
Episode 18, ?/?/73 (Dick Gautier, Barbara Stuart, Jack Carter, Jo Ann Pflug, Richard Dawson, Shelly Winters)
Episode 539, 7/28/75 (Scoey Mitchlll, BS, CNR, Joan Collins, RD, PD)
Episode 6-30, 11/16/80 (Jimmy Walker, BS, CNR, Dolly Martin, Bill Daily, DS)
Episode 6-5, 8/4/79 (Robert Walden, BS, CNR, EJ, Bill Daily, JB)
Episode 12-1, 9/8/79 (Bart Braverman, BS, CNR, Rita Moreno, Bill Daily, PS)

Extras:
Best Moments hosted by Brett Somers (essentially a best of for each disc, there doesn't seem to be material that isn't already in the episodes in the set).
A Tribute to Gene Rayburn
Photo Gallery
Exclusive Interview with Brett Sommers
1962 Pilot

Notes:
*I did see a ticket plug on one episode, so I assume they are on the others where applicable.  You can see one of them here.
*Other than the episode listing, there is no other printed material.
*Photos supplied by (shock) Fred Wostbrock
*Gary Burghoff is listed as one of the celebrities on the box.  He is not on any of the episodes listed.
*No Nipsey.
*I don't think the final CBS episode is there, unless I missed it.
*The Brett Somers "Best Moments" are laughable.  They try to look slick by doing one of those fancy "not looking at the camera" moments, but it doesn't work if the person is reading off cue cards.

As much as I would like to answer individual questions about the content, I have to give this back to the staff for processing, so they'll have to come in by 3 PM EST today.  This job does have it's perks, but sometimes they're short term.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

aaron sica

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2006, 02:03:35 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'137947\' date=\'Nov 15 2006, 01:07 PM\']
Notes:
*I did see a ticket plug on one episode, so I assume they are on the others where applicable.  You can see one of them here.
[/quote]

That's awesome! I really would have had no desire to buy the DVD set until word came out about the ticket plugs, etc. That's the first ticket plugs I remember seeing on the show.

Thanks for that, Mike!

tvmitch

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2006, 02:34:13 PM »
This is firmly on my mother-in-law's Christmas list for me...which is going to be killer, because I just want to go out and buy the thing!

Thanks for the episode listing and the good news about the ticket plugs. It'll be nice to see the originals, no GSN speed-up machine, etc.

I do believe that episode 1005 from disc 2 is the School Riot episode. At least the School Riot episode had those celebrities, but I don't know why any other episode from that week would be chosen...
You should follow me on Twitter

mmb5

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2006, 02:37:25 PM »
And now that I've had it on for a couple of hours, the audio levels on the bonuses are going to drive people crazy.  They didn't do any effort to equalize it, so it's a soft clip followed by a loud clip followed by Brett in whatever volume she wants to introduce that clip in.  Brett also gets many facts wrong, including ones about herself, so I will have to take her answer on what exactly was in that drink on stage with a grain of salt.

--Mike

Pyramid80

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2006, 02:38:24 PM »
I'm guessing the fee plugs were included?

tpirfan28

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2006, 02:49:43 PM »
Can't find the information definitively, but 1005's gotta be the School Riot ep.

I can't wait for this DVD set....especially since I haven't seen many eps of Match Game.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Mike Tennant

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2006, 03:01:16 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'137956\' date=\'Nov 15 2006, 02:37 PM\']
I will have to take her answer on what exactly was in that drink on stage with a grain of salt.
[/quote]
It was a margarita?

mmb5

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2006, 03:02:06 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'137958\' date=\'Nov 15 2006, 02:49 PM\']
Can't find the information definitively, but 1005's gotta be the School Riot ep.

I can't wait for this DVD set....especially since I haven't seen many eps of Match Game.
[/quote]

On review, it is.  Since they left the consolation plugs in, the "losing" contestant won among other things a skateboard.

--Mike

Neumms

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2006, 03:02:07 PM »
Does it strike anybody else after seeing the list of episodes that (a) there's no rhyme or reason to how the disks are put together and (b) there are way too many post-Dawson episodes, and of those, too many before McLean Stevenson became a regular and got the show rolling again?

aaron sica

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2006, 03:10:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'137961\' date=\'Nov 15 2006, 03:02 PM\']
Does it strike anybody else after seeing the list of episodes that (a) there's no rhyme or reason to how the disks are put together and (b) there are way too many post-Dawson episodes, and of those, too many before McLean Stevenson became a regular and got the show rolling again?
[/quote]

IMHO, one of the best years was the 1981-1982 season when he became a regular. He was great on MG.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 03:10:58 PM by aaron sica »

tvmitch

« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2006, 03:36:10 PM »
Hearing about the audio levels on Brett's extras, it wouldn't surprise me at all if all the fee plugs and consideration spots were left in, simply because taking them out from the masters would be additional work for the folks who made the set.

So, quite possibility, their laziness is netting them a new extra sales from the die-hards.
You should follow me on Twitter

aaron sica

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2006, 03:48:00 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'137966\' date=\'Nov 15 2006, 03:36 PM\']
So, quite possibility, their laziness is netting them a new extra sales from the die-hards.
[/quote]

Oh yeah. The MG diehards and fanbois will be going nuts over this set. "No credit crunches! Fee plugs!"

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2006, 03:48:10 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'137956\' date=\'Nov 15 2006, 02:37 PM\']
And now that I've had it on for a couple of hours, the audio levels on the bonuses are going to drive people crazy.  They didn't do any effort to equalize it, so it's a soft clip followed by a loud clip followed by Brett in whatever volume she wants to introduce that clip in.  [/quote]
Having spent the better part of the afternoon today equalizing audio for a production that maybe two hundred people are going to see, this strikes me as particularly lazy.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.