Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CBS To Revive Name That Tune  (Read 20159 times)

Clay Zambo

CBS To Revive Name That Tune
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2006, 07:13:38 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'134099\' date=\'Oct 11 2006, 12:22 AM\']
"Promiscuous Girl," "Runaround Sue" AND "The Lady Is a Tramp"?
[/quote]

Thank you!  Now I have a final medley for my club act!
czambo@mac.com

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2006, 07:25:45 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'134106\' date=\'Oct 11 2006, 12:41 AM\']A "million dollar minute"?  Surely, there are better titles to come up with.  How abour the Platinum Medley or even better the Diamond Medley.[/quote] Nah. "Million Dollar Minute" has the alliteration going, and "Golden Medley" had the pun of "gold medal" and "musical medley". It works.

I'm sure there's gonna be a $1K/song prize if the 2-player team fails to win the big prize.  $1N seems too high.  Maybe $250K is sufficient.
One nonillion dollars? Wow. I hope the winner has a McDuck-sized vault for safe keeping. And what makes you so sure? Your "Karlberg-sense" tingling?
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2006, 07:38:15 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'134106\' date=\'Oct 11 2006, 03:41 AM\']
A "million dollar minute"?  Surely, there are better titles to come up with.  How abour the Platinum Medley or even better the Diamond Medley.[/quote]
And if they do tag it as the million dollar minute, are you gonna throw another TV out the window? Geez!
I'm sure there's gonna be a $1K/song prize if the 2-player team fails to win the big prize.
And who told you that, since you're so sure?
$1N seems too high.  Maybe $250K is sufficient.
And $100,000 in 1976 wasn't too much? And that was for identifying ONE song. I think that 15 songs in a minute is a hell of a lot better than picking numbers 1-26.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2006, 10:45:41 AM »
I think 15 in 60 is worth $1M simple because it's so freaking hard, I almost want to say nigh impossible, especially if the keep the "One Wrong Answer Ends The Round" rule.

7 in 30 was pretty hard to do.  If this gets revived and the Medley rules stay the same, I predict you won't get a single endgame winner

/which is just what CBS would want.
This signature is currently under construction.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2006, 11:15:36 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'134127\' date=\'Oct 11 2006, 07:45 AM\']
/which is just what CBS would want.
[/quote]
No, what they want is for it to happen *very* rarely, or to at least LOOK like it can be done, or else they completely lose credibility. The reason nobody cried foul over the Million Dollar Spin on TPiR is because we've seen people spin the wheel once and hit a buck a bunch of times, so we know it's completely feasible, even though they haven't had to pay out on it to date.

One of the (many) problems I had with Weakest Link was that the host at the top of the show mentioned how much a contestant *could* win - and while it was certainly possible for someone to take home a million dollars, we knew very quickly that the reality of the situation was that a player would be lucky to take home six digits, much less seven. And that made the show look bad, I think.

It's (very) loosely akin to the carnival game - nobody is gonna step up and drop a buck on it until the carny shows everyone that it can be done.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2006, 11:16:45 AM »
I like that they're doing it up big. "Name that Video" was done up way too small, with a dull host and no sizzle. Big money, big acts, an engaging, musically inclined host--they're going back to the show's roots. And the partner thing is an ingenious way to increase the scope of the music.

But they gotta bring back the money trees, or else it's all for naught. That, and running a fair distance to ring in. Especially for the older contestants.

Neumms

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2006, 11:37:50 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'134130\' date=\'Oct 11 2006, 10:15 AM\']
One of the (many) problems I had with Weakest Link was that the host at the top of the show mentioned how much a contestant *could* win - and while it was certainly possible for someone to take home a million dollars, we knew very quickly that the reality of the situation was that a player would be lucky to take home six digits, much less seven. And that made the show look bad, I think.
[/quote]

That's a great point. Making the show look even worse was how Anne would keep hammering on the top figure when she mocked the contestants. Mocking is fine, just don't chide them for how little money they're winning when we all know nobody wins much more.

It also made the show look bad when they brought in nothing but dumb contestants--heaven help us if "Name That Tune" goes that route.

mmb5

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2006, 12:26:09 PM »
As someone who has either hosted or participated Name That Tune-style games over the past few years, this is going to be a tough, tough struggle.  The music the public listens today does not have the same wide appeal to the mass audience that Name That Tune had in it's 50s or 70s heydays.  There really is no more "popular" music that can transcend generations.

Can't wait for Madge from West Palm Beach trying to guess "My Humps" off three notes.

--Mike
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 12:27:14 PM by mmb5 »
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2006, 01:22:04 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'134141\' date=\'Oct 11 2006, 12:26 PM\']
As someone who has either hosted or participated Name That Tune-style games over the past few years, this is going to be a tough, tough struggle.  The music the public listens today does not have the same wide appeal to the mass audience that Name That Tune had in it's 50s or 70s heydays.  There really is no more "popular" music that can transcend generations.[/quote]
Stll, what little we've heard seems to suggest that they understand this, and they'll be trying to appeal to a variety of generations and genres. To use the arcane comparisons that are our forte, this version of Name That Tune sounds like it'll be a little Pop & Rocker and a little Triple Threat.  I think part of the fun will be to see if Madge can identify "My Humps", and if Funky Cool Ice-Tray knows "Theme from A Summer Place".

And hey, this is the first listing I've seen yet that is actually encouraging fortysomethings to apply.  They ought to get some credit for that!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Fedya

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2006, 01:23:14 PM »
MMB5 wrote:
Can't wait for Madge from West Palm Beach trying to guess "My Humps" off three notes.
Why do you think they're going to have any contestants old enough to be named "Madge" on the show?  (At least, I don't think I've ever met anybody named "Madge" who was below middle-aged.)

(Can't wait for all the "Caitlins" and "Brittany"s to become old farts....)

EDIT: I only now read Matt's comment that they're encouraging quadragenarians to apply.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 01:25:16 PM by Fedya »
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Joe Mello

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2006, 01:28:31 PM »
Lest we forget Name That Video was on VH1, and giving away WoF-ranged cars in your endgame is good sizzle.

One reason I predict that 0 people will win the Medley is because getting someone to get 10 right of anything in 60 seconds is pretty hard (unless you're Starface) The other reason is that I also predict this show will be lucky to have more than 20 episodes.  This is probably going to be a summer series.  

Of course (as hinted to earlier) this is all under the assumption that there will still be no room for error.  If there's tolerance for wrong answers, however, this peeks its head into the realm of possibility.

/If there are lifelines, I'll cry.
//I wouldn't be able to figure out "Theme from A Summer Place".  "A Summer Song," however...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 01:31:37 PM by Joe Mello »

clemon79

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2006, 01:39:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'134147\' date=\'Oct 11 2006, 10:28 AM\']
One reason I predict that 0 people will win the Medley is because getting someone to get 10 right of anything in 60 seconds is pretty hard
[/quote]
Don't watch Temptation much, do you?

They did 7 in 30 on the original show. They're just asking them to do it twice, basically.
Of course (as hinted to earlier) this is all under the assumption that there will still be no room for error.  If there's tolerance for wrong answers, however, this peeks its head into the realm of possibility.
I agree. Personally, I'd suggest running off five seconds for each wrong answer. Effectively ends the run for all but the fastest players, but allows for a slipup and a chance to recover if you step it up.

cweaver

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2006, 01:42:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'134145\' date=\'Oct 11 2006, 12:22 PM\']
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'134141\' date=\'Oct 11 2006, 12:26 PM\']
The music the public listens today does not have the same wide appeal to the mass audience that Name That Tune had in it's 50s or 70s heydays.  There really is no more "popular" music that can transcend generations.[/quote]
Stll, what little we've heard seems to suggest that they understand this, and they'll be trying to appeal to a variety of generations and genres. To use the arcane comparisons that are our forte, this version of Name That Tune sounds like it'll be a little Pop & Rocker and a little Triple Threat.  I think part of the fun will be to see if Madge can identify "My Humps", and if Funky Cool Ice-Tray knows "Theme from A Summer Place".[/quote]

I don't know, I think Mike has a point.  Name That Tune thrived in the era when we could, like I did in high school, conceivably hear "Bette Davis Eyes," "Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue," "Celebration," "When You See a Chance Take It," "I Love Rock and Roll," "Bohemian Rhapsody" and the theme from "Chariots of Fire" on the same station within a few minutes of each other, and the station still be cool enough for us to listen to on Saturday night while we cruised the mall.  I don't see that happening as much which is why I would think they're bringing in the multi-generational teams.  But still, everyone seems to be specific on their musical tastes now; my daughter loves the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Linkin Park but wouldn't be caught dead listening to Brittany Spears and probably wouldn't recognize some of her best known songs.    

Props for trying, though, massive props.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 01:45:47 PM by cweaver »

clemon79

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2006, 02:16:41 PM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'134149\' date=\'Oct 11 2006, 10:42 AM\']
Props for trying, though, massive props.
[/quote]
Well, massive props if they DO IN FACT try. I don't think anyone at this point in the game is too interested in giving the folks who ruined the domestic version of Gameshow Marathon any props.

Joe Mello

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2006, 03:50:57 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'134148\' date=\'Oct 11 2006, 01:39 PM\']
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'134147\' date=\'Oct 11 2006, 10:28 AM\']
One reason I predict that 0 people will win the Medley is because getting someone to get 10 right of anything in 60 seconds is pretty hard[/quote]
Don't watch Temptation much, do you?[/quote]
Nope :3  I'm basing my stuff on Friend or Foe, WBSM, Hollywood Squares (although that's kind of fuzzy), Wintuition, Name That Video, and probably some stuff I can't think of.

You have to admit that it's pretty hard to muck up Name That Tune.  As long as you put in Bid-A-Note and some other mini-games, you're good.