Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CBS To Revive Name That Tune  (Read 20158 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
CBS To Revive Name That Tune
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2006, 03:54:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'134165\' date=\'Oct 11 2006, 12:50 PM\']
Nope :3  I'm basing my stuff on Friend or Foe, WBSM, Hollywood Squares (although that's kind of fuzzy), Wintuition, Name That Video, and probably some stuff I can't think of.
[/quote]
So, in other words, speaking from an extreme lack of information. Right.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Ian Wallis

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2006, 04:18:44 PM »
I don't know, I think Mike has a point. Name That Tune thrived in the era when we could, like I did in high school, conceivably hear "Bette Davis Eyes," "Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue," "Celebration," "When You See a Chance Take It," "I Love Rock and Roll," "Bohemian Rhapsody" and the theme from "Chariots of Fire" on the same station within a few minutes of each other

You mean back when pop music was actually pretty decent...

I don't see that happening as much which is why I would think they're bringing in the multi-generational teams.

I think it could work.  If we're comparing the show a little to Triple Threat, as Matt mentioned a few posts above, personally I thought that was an under-rated show.  I liked the way they brought the generations together and played the music and TV themes from different eras in a neat little package.  I thought it deserved a longer run than it had.

\I guess that's why I was likely the only one who actually had Triple Threat in their personal Top 50 last month
\\This is the second time I've used these...I don't think I'll make it a habit... :)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2006, 04:28:52 PM »
Well, massive props if they DO IN FACT try. I don't think anyone at this point in the game is too interested in giving the folks who ruined the domestic version of Gameshow Marathon any props.

And who says they did? Some of us took the show for what it was and actually enjoyed it. Some of of even think that CBS could do at least a decent job with NTT.
insert signature here

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2006, 04:35:58 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'134173\' date=\'Oct 11 2006, 01:28 PM\']
Some of us took the show for what it was and actually enjoyed it.
[/quote]
As did I. However, I think you'll have a hard time arguing against the fact that they screwed up great boatloads of little things that they didn't have to, if they'd only thought them out.
Some of of even think that CBS could do at least a decent job with NTT.
Oh, I think they CAN. My question is whether they WILL.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2006, 06:17:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'134145\' date=\'Oct 11 2006, 01:22 PM\']if Funky Cool Ice-Tray knows "Theme from A Summer Place".[/quote]

"Donny, that's the Relax-O-Vision song!"
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2006, 06:42:57 PM »
running a fair distance to ring in.
That inspires a great idea. Put both contestants in mobility scooters from the Scooter Score, with a ship's bell located 10 feet away. It would harken back to the original run and would provide a great opportunity for product placement. The contestants don't have to have mobility issues to use a scooter.

Or not.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 06:49:02 PM by chris319 »

bandit_bobby

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2006, 10:48:45 PM »
This is the first version of the show produced by Phil Gurin, since he acquired this series, if it goes through, am I correct?

Jay Temple

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2006, 12:50:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Allstar87\' post=\'134104\' date=\'Oct 11 2006, 01:29 AM\']
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'134099\' date=\'Oct 11 2006, 12:22 AM\']
How many people are going to able to identify "Promiscuous Girl," "Runaround Sue" AND "The Lady Is a Tramp"?
[/quote]

I'm 19, yet I know & love "Runaround Sue". Don't know the other two, though.

Do I still win something?
[/quote]
Does restoring my faith in young people's taste in music count as winning?
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2006, 01:33:02 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'134165\' date=\'Oct 11 2006, 12:50 PM\']I'm basing my stuff on Friend or Foe, WBSM, Hollywood Squares (although that's kind of fuzzy), Wintuition, Name That Video, and probably some stuff I can't think of.[/quote]And in only two of those cases (Video, Wintuition) was a player required to give ten correct answers to win the grand prize. So, not only is your information limited, it's just plain wrong.

The easy way to guarantee a $1m payout would be to award the jackpot to the single player who names the most tunes during the Million Dollar Minute. I also think the segmenting of popular music in general is detrimental to the success of a show such as Name That Tune, but a musical quiz show would do decently.
Travis L. Eberle

uncamark

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2006, 12:51:24 PM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'134210\' date=\'Oct 11 2006, 09:48 PM\']
This is the first version of the show produced by Phil Gurin, since he acquired this series, if it goes through, am I correct?
[/quote]

Sandy Frank owns the show and has for about 25 years.  Gurin was only licensing and a different production team is behind this version.

I'd say read the link--but yes, friends, I know who I'm replying to.  :)

"Water--the source of Sandy Frank..."

GS Warehouse

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2006, 01:33:47 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'134263\' date=\'Oct 12 2006, 12:51 PM\']"Water--the source of Sandy Frank..."[/quote]
I dropped a Hot Dog at the beach.  Does that make it a Sandy Frank?

[ducking]

CarbonCpy

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2006, 01:38:07 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'134263\' date=\'Oct 12 2006, 12:51 PM\']
"Water--the source of Sandy Frank..."
[/quote]

"Sandy Frank!  Sandy Frank!  He's the source of all our pain!"

TimK2003

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2006, 02:47:34 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' post=\'134271\' date=\'Oct 12 2006, 12:33 PM\']
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'134263\' date=\'Oct 12 2006, 12:51 PM\']"Water--the source of Sandy Frank..."[/quote]
I dropped a Hot Dog at the beach.  Does that make it a Sandy Frank?

[ducking]
[/quote]

No, but if you dropped a waffle on a Southern California beach, you'd have a Sandy Eggo. <ducks>

Seriously, even Bid a Note could be a disaster -- you might have to allow many multiple answers for some of the songs they do today -- since many of the modern day songs use the same synthesyzed beat and/or they use, or "sample"  parts of older songs.

"For One Million Dollars, what is your answer?"
"Is it 'Superfreak'"?
<bzzzz>
"No, I'm sorry, it was 'U Can't Touch This'".
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 02:48:54 PM by TimK2003 »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2006, 04:17:09 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'134275\' date=\'Oct 12 2006, 01:47 PM\']
Seriously, even Bid a Note could be a disaster -- you might have to allow many multiple answers for some of the songs they do today -- since many of the modern day songs use the same synthesyzed beat and/or they use, or "sample"  parts of older songs.

"For One Million Dollars, what is your answer?"
"Is it 'Superfreak'"?
<bzzzz>
"No, I'm sorry, it was 'U Can't Touch This'".
[/quote]
That's where clue-writing has to be specific enough so that even though "U Can't Touch This" samples "Super Freak (Part 1)," there's only one acceptable answer (like possibly invoking MC Hammer's birthplace or real name--some might know either right off the top of their head, but I would think most wouldn't--so it's still vague enough to not give it away but specific enough to not allow "Super Freak" to be the correct answer).  

Doug
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 04:21:48 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

uncamark

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2006, 05:47:25 PM »
[quote name='SRIV94' date='Oct 12 2006, 03:17 PM' post='134291']
[quote name='TimK2003' post='134275' date='Oct 12 2006, 01:47 PM']
That's where clue-writing has to be specific enough so that even though "U Can't Touch This" samples "Super Freak (Part 1)," there's only one acceptable answer (like possibly invoking MC Hammer's birthplace or real name--some might know either right off the top of their head, but I would think most wouldn't--so it's still vague enough to not give it away but specific enough to not allow "Super Freak" to be the correct answer). [/quote]

"This 1990 tune used the riff from a 1981 Rick James tune to hit the nail right on the head."

Something like that?  :)