Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CBS To Revive Name That Tune  (Read 20247 times)

goongas

CBS To Revive Name That Tune
« on: October 11, 2006, 12:22:00 AM »
According to TV Guide brief article, Donny Osmond will host a revival of Name That Tune on CBS.

uncamark

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 12:33:25 AM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' post=\'134062\' date=\'Oct 10 2006, 11:22 PM\']
According to TV Guide brief article, Donny Osmond will host a revival of Name That Tune on CBS.
[/quote]

The Variety article mentioned in the TVG snark is behind a subscription wall, so I am forced to quote the Perfesser until someone else comes along that this show may end up syndicated by the newly merged CBS Paramount syndication, not on the network.  A weak backup, but one that will have to do for now.

weaklink75

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 01:02:28 PM »

TimK2003

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 01:39:23 PM »
[quote name=\'weaklink75\' post=\'134065\' date=\'Oct 10 2006, 12:02 PM\']
Here's that Variety article.......
[/quote]

According to the Variety article, it may as well be called "Name That Pop N' Rocker Game".

I'm just afraid that no matter how they do it, the music genre has splintered off so much that I just don't see it as a viable outlet anymore for a mainstream network.  

I also can't see Tommy Oliver and his Orchestra playing a 10 second version of "My Humps" either...  :-P

William_S.

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 02:28:18 PM »
I also can't see Tommy Oliver and his Orchestra playing a 10 second version of "My Humps" either...  :-P

Shudders....

mbc793

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 05:06:56 PM »
I can't picture that thought either. Anyways I figure they may use anothe orchestra or band. Also Donny Osmond?? Well he knows something about music..I guess I can't comment bad about that.

Robair

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 06:06:05 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'134067\' date=\'Oct 10 2006, 01:39 PM\']I also can't see Tommy Oliver and his Orchestra playing a 10 second version of "My Humps" either...  :-P
[/quote]
Me neither. Mainly, Tommy's been dead for four months...
--Robair

TimK2003

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 07:11:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' post=\'134076\' date=\'Oct 10 2006, 05:06 PM\']
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'134067\' date=\'Oct 10 2006, 01:39 PM\']I also can't see Tommy Oliver and his Orchestra playing a 10 second version of "My Humps" either...  :-P
[/quote]
Me neither. Mainly, Tommy's been dead for four months...
[/quote]

My apologies...I didn't hear anything on regular media and I don't read the birthday/obit section either unless there's a big name who passes on.  

To rephrase: I cannot see any Name That Tune orchestra (like the ones in the past) playing any of the music that's out now.

wheelloon

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 09:20:07 PM »
Well, this news significantly improved my day! Name That Tune was a childhood favorite of mine... :D

I'm with everybody else though, I can't see what modern music could be NTT material. Donny might be alright for a more variety type show, instead of a more strict game like Pyramid, but still, I'll have to wait and see on that one. Plus, a cool million for 15 songs in 60 seconds? $100k or maybe even $250k would be alright to me, $1 million seems a bit high (and that's bad if I say the top prize is high)...
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 09:32:59 PM »
To rephrase: I cannot see any Name That Tune orchestra (like the ones in the past) playing any of the music that's out now.

And that was an issue I personally had with the Lange NTT (among other things). It seemed that there were an AWFUL lot of Broadway tunes...and If they tried that today, the show would look silly and dated.
What I'm hoping for is a mix of orchestrated songs of today, with maybe some new mini-games with songs being played backwards, song lyrics sang in different languages, different styles, etc...

But that's just me.
insert signature here

davemackey

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 09:39:12 PM »
Remember the last time "Name That Tune" came back? The execrable "Name That Video".

With all the talk about the planned revivals in the past (remember the one which was to have been hosted by Peter Allen?), I'll be surprised if this one gets off the ground.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 10:35:47 PM »
Everyone seems to not have liked Name That Video. Is it more or less execrable if you're more familiar with music videos? I liked the show okay, but I knew about 10% of the material.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Jay Temple

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 12:22:08 AM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' post=\'134085\' date=\'Oct 10 2006, 08:20 PM\']
Well, this news significantly improved my day! Name That Tune was a childhood favorite of mine... :D

I'm with everybody else though, I can't see what modern music could be NTT material. Donny might be alright for a more variety type show, instead of a more strict game like Pyramid, but still, I'll have to wait and see on that one. Plus, a cool million for 15 songs in 60 seconds? $100k or maybe even $250k would be alright to me, $1 million seems a bit high (and that's bad if I say the top prize is high)...
[/quote]
Consider this: The very splintering that was mentioned earlier makes $1M seem reasonable. How many people are going to able to identify "Promiscuous Girl," "Runaround Sue" AND "The Lady Is a Tramp"? (Put it another way: How many of the people who can identify the last two will admit to recognizing the first?)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Allstar87

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 02:29:05 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'134099\' date=\'Oct 11 2006, 12:22 AM\']
How many people are going to able to identify "Promiscuous Girl," "Runaround Sue" AND "The Lady Is a Tramp"?
[/quote]

I'm 19, yet I know & love "Runaround Sue". Don't know the other two, though.

Do I still win something?

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 03:41:45 AM »
Donny Osmond as host sounds like a logical choice not only because he's on Broadway, but he is in the nidst of his 55th album set for release next March.  How does one stay musically active all these years really puzzles me.

If the show's gonna entice veiwers of all generations, they have to come up with a way to incorporate a format so that each generation doesn't get shafted at various points,  Besides, this would make a good one to bring my nephew along(he being more into hip-hop while I'm more of a 70's & 80's kind of guy).

A "million dollar minute"?  Surely, there are better titles to come up with.  How abour the Platinum Medley or even better the Diamond Medley.

I'm sure there's gonna be a $1K/song prize if the 2-player team fails to win the big prize.  $1N seems too high.  Maybe $250K is sufficient.