Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Stack the Deck  (Read 4007 times)

whewfan

Stack the Deck
« on: October 09, 2006, 02:58:50 PM »
A new pricing game on TPIR TODAY!!!

Here's how it works. 7 different numbers, 5 which belong in the price of the car. The object is to place the numbers in the right order.

The player can earn 3 of those numbers by playing a sort of either/or game. Is the salsa $4.00, or are the cookies $4.00. If they guess correctly, they can have any of the 5 numbers placed correctly. Play continues with 2 other pairs of products.

The player must correctly place the remaining numbers, and if he does he wins the car.

An obvious strategy, especially if the player earns 3 numbers is to leave the first number and last number to place himself. The first number of course is a gimme anyway, and as long as they don't have the 0 or 5 as the last number dilemma as they usually do with Temptation, it's a fairly easy win.

One of the coolest parts of this game is the reveal of the correct price. I would've thought that the lights simply lit up, but... what happens is that the game's logo swings around to reveal the price.

Overall, not a bad pricing game.

WhammyPower

Stack the Deck
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 04:38:03 PM »

gwarman2005

Stack the Deck
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 05:08:15 PM »
I liked it.  Not the hum-drum games they've been coming up with lately. (Time Is Money & Balance Game II)  It was well thought out, not just thrown together.  The pricing of the items were too obvious but maybe they wanted a successful debut.  Of course the best thing was the price reveil.  Whether it stands the test of time or not we'll see, but I thought it's a nice, clever game.

alfonzos

Stack the Deck
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 05:18:03 PM »
It was okay. The game pales in comparison with TPiR's second newest car game Pocket Change which, coincidentally, also was played today.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Speedy G

Stack the Deck
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 06:57:14 PM »
Cool reveal.

Hopefully it's obvious when Bob says "I can't read that" that they need to fix the tags on the grocery items.
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*

Adam Nedeff

Stack the Deck
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 07:18:37 PM »
I give it a thumbs-up, but what's the over-under on "number of playings before we're complaining about how contestants always pick the first number"?

Robert Hutchinson

Stack the Deck
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 09:24:47 PM »
I saw it. Thoughts:

1) It's an extremely minor thing in terms of gameplay, but are they struggling lately for game concepts, or what? Making the numbers quasi-playing cards, and Bob's line about "you get to stack the deck" . . . no.

2) Sound effects person totally blew the cool reveal.

3) Hopefully, since this was the first playing, they'll speed the game up in the future. It was dragging somewhat.

4) Pocket Change still bugs the heck out of me. (Oh, wait, that wasn't a comment on Stack the Deck. Sorry.)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Stack the Deck
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 09:43:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'134002\' date=\'Oct 9 2006, 08:24 PM\']
4) Pocket Change still bugs the heck out of me. (Oh, wait, that wasn't a comment on Stack the Deck. Sorry.)
[/quote]
'Salright.  Although I still like a tweak for Pocket Change I suggested about a year and a half ago.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

JayDLewis

Stack the Deck
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 10:32:40 PM »
I thought it was dry as dust. Where's the drama? Every car game has an excitement element to it. Hell, even non-car games have excitement when played for cars (Will Hans fall off the cliff? Did he push the blocks too far?)

This is just "Did he win?" The reveal is the only thing good about this game.

Also, the product display thing...was that poorly designed or what?
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

gsfreak82

Stack the Deck
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 10:59:22 PM »
I thought it was okay.  It seems to be temptation with no gifts, just the car at stake.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Stack the Deck
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 11:45:17 PM »
It's okay.  The set looks a little too foreboding and the game looks long as hell, but I like the concept, even though the "Stacking the Deck" part is a little more abstract than one would like.  Strangely, I actually think this game doesn't need a reveal unless there's a loss.

/Aren't Stack the Deck and Pocket Change conflicts?
This signature is currently under construction.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Stack the Deck
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 01:45:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'134028\' date=\'Oct 9 2006, 08:45 PM\']/Aren't Stack the Deck and Pocket Change conflicts?[/quote]Conflicts? In what way?

When I first saw the game, I thought "hey, another revamp of 'Three Strikes'." And it turns out I was right. I suppose if TPIR is going to bring out three new games every year, we're going to see some retreads on earlier stuff. And there's only so many ways you can determine the price of a car, anyway. Looking at it from a fan's perspective, it's got some neat chrome, and a clever way to improve the chances of winning.

(Though I would be last in line to have the designer of the props do the art work for any of my board game prototypes. Oof.)
Travis L. Eberle

Craig Karlberg

Stack the Deck
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2006, 03:37:23 AM »
I thought the game was OK on its initial outing.  The board itself does have a 3 Strikes look to it.  To me, the title is just another subtle way of giving us a game that is nowhere near what the title might suggest.  It's nice to see a game where picking numbers to form a price actually means something in the C/GP category.  The GP portion was neat, but the labels need to be bigger so Barker doesn't have to "zoom in" every time a contestant makes a selection.  The gameplay has that 2-for-1 type format.  The layout's alright, but it should resemble that of Pick-a-Pair so that Barker doesn't get confused like he nearly did with this playing.  Adam played this game very strategically & won it.  It'll be intresting to see whether we get a 0/5 situation as well as another number for the last number.  The reveal was awsome, though I'm worried that some perky player might cheat & sneak behind the game to see what the price is.  In that case, I'd rather have the price pop out from behind the title.

Overall, I'll give this game a 7.6.  Nice game with some strategy involved.  With a tweak or two, this could stay awhile.

cmjb13

Stack the Deck
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 06:43:37 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'134008\' date=\'Oct 9 2006, 09:43 PM\']
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'134002\' date=\'Oct 9 2006, 08:24 PM\']
[/quote]
'Salright.  Although I still like a tweak for Pocket Change I suggested about a year and a half ago.

Doug
[/quote]
There is a more important thing that needs to be fixed on Pocket Change. I'd call it a flaw that almost guarantees a win.

Can you guess what it is?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Terry K

Stack the Deck
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2006, 07:00:00 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'134037\' date=\'Oct 10 2006, 05:43 PM\']
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'134008\' date=\'Oct 9 2006, 09:43 PM\']
[/quote]

Doug
[/quote]
There is a more important thing that needs to be fixed on Pocket Change. I'd call it a flaw that almost guarantees a win.

Can you guess what it is?
[/quote]

the fact that we at home can see the prices even if they aren't lit up on the PC display board?