Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Show Me The Shatner"  (Read 30554 times)

itiparanoid13

"Show Me The Shatner"
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2006, 05:30:58 PM »
I don't expect much beyond a *tiny* bit of originality.  From what I've seen of different versions, I expected a more complex game than answer a question that a 2 year old could and pick a random place.  Then again, I tollerate DoND, but something about SMTM just rubs me the wrong way.  I understand that it's a trivia game, and I enjoy that, but I was hoping for a bit more than someone at a meeting saying "Let's dumb down Deal or No Deal and throw in a trivia question or six to keep people quiet."  I don't know how I can relax when all I did was point out what I felt, in my opinion, was stuff I didn't like.  No excitement or anything.  If I start flipping out, I will relax.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 05:32:38 PM by itiparanoid13 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
"Show Me The Shatner"
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2006, 06:56:36 PM »
The dancing is just, wow. I don't know how to describe it. Visually for a guy, it's entertaining.
Not for murse-boy it wasn't.

Shatner doesn't do the 75-year-old go-go boy thing very well. Bill, ix-nay on the ancing-day.

To paraphrase Dan Enright (what would he know about game shows?), it lacks all drama, it lacks all suspense, it lacks tension, it lacks strategy, it lacks tact, it lacks challenging and/or interesting material. You're absolutely right: It's Bill Shatner hosting Trivia Night at Hooter's.

Gromit

"Show Me The Shatner"
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2006, 07:32:31 PM »
Wow. Put my vote in the "train wreck" category.

Didn't even get to the first question, had to stop watching.

I'll tivo the first episode, but I doubt I'll see it more than that.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
"Show Me The Shatner"
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2006, 12:34:40 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'137617\' date=\'Nov 11 2006, 12:38 PM\']
If they could execute it like the cheese that it is (a la "Treasure Hunt" or "Supermarket Sweep", I wouldn't mind.
[/quote]
I wouldn't mind seeing this show get executed, too.

Really, here's the deal. You can't try to play a show this cheesy and at the same time play it for life-changing amounts of money. The two just don't go together. And yet, that is exactly what they are trying to do.

The ratings will ultimately tell the tale, but I'm going out on a limb and suggesting that this thing is gonna crash, and hard.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jay Temple

"Show Me The Shatner"
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2006, 12:42:04 AM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'137626\' date=\'Nov 11 2006, 04:30 PM\']
I was hoping for a bit more than someone at a meeting saying "Let's dumb down Deal or No Deal ..."
[/quote]
How exactly do you do that?
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

NickS

"Show Me The Shatner"
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2006, 12:44:34 AM »
If I start flipping out, I will relax.
[/quote]

Wha?

Whereever you go, there you are.

itiparanoid13

"Show Me The Shatner"
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2006, 01:12:02 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'137643\' date=\'Nov 12 2006, 12:42 AM\']
I was hoping for a bit more than someone at a meeting saying "Let's dumb down Deal or No Deal ..."
[/quote]
How exactly do you do that?
[/quote]

By taking out the Banker and the aspect of working backward, in a sense, to see what you don't have along with the decision of whether to risk hundreds of thousands of dollars on the opening of one suitcase.  I know part of the appeal of SMTM is that you have to go to the end no matter what, but the easiness of the questions is guaranteeing that each person who has successfully passed kindergarten and occasionally reads news online or watches any sort of TV will win a six figure sum much easier than they can on Deal.  As I said before, the questions are at such a low level of difficulty, plus with the ability to pass on the question twice every time, that it's basically you choose a scroll and you earn whatever is on it.  It's less compelling, exciting, and dare I say less challenging (to win an assload of money) than DoND, and that's saying something.  And the I'll relax comment was directed to when I was told to "Relax.  It's.  Just.  A.  Game.  Show." after I calmly presented a list of why I feel this show sucks but will probably be a ratings hit, which is rather depressing.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 01:16:24 AM by itiparanoid13 »

Craig Karlberg

"Show Me The Shatner"
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2006, 03:56:49 AM »
I shyed away from the clip so as not to get spoiled.  However, seeing the rulesheet I noticed some key flaws.  No multipication/division(what's wrong with our education systen if we can't teach quality corriculum around here), passing twice on each question header(too easy) & most of all, earing 6-figures is gonna be too easy based on the rules.  If it can be fixed, I'd suggest limiting passes to 2 times PER game, incorporating a money deduction risk upon the use of each pass, & good grief, don't hog a lot of face time to those dancers.  I'd rather go to a gentleman's bar rather than watch SMtM if I wanna see scandily-clad dancers like that.

Brig Bother

"Show Me The Shatner"
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2006, 05:41:34 AM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'137626\' date=\'Nov 11 2006, 10:30 PM\']
I don't expect much beyond a *tiny* bit of originality.  From what I've seen of different versions, I expected a more complex game than answer a question that a 2 year old could and pick a random place.  [/quote]

Although in the original Italian show, they didn't bother with the questions, of course.

tvwxman

"Show Me The Shatner"
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2006, 06:41:09 AM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'137648\' date=\'Nov 12 2006, 01:12 AM\']
By taking out the Banker and the aspect of working backward, in a sense, to see what you don't have along with the decision of whether to risk hundreds of thousands of dollars on the opening of one suitcase.  I know part of the appeal of SMTM is that you have to go to the end no matter what, but the easiness of the questions is guaranteeing that each person who has successfully passed kindergarten and occasionally reads news online or watches any sort of TV will win a six figure sum much easier than they can on Deal.  As I said before, the questions are at such a low level of difficulty, plus with the ability to pass on the question twice every time, that it's basically you choose a scroll and you earn whatever is on it.  It's less compelling, exciting, and dare I say less challenging (to win an assload of money) than DoND, and that's saying something.  And the I'll relax comment was directed to when I was told to "Relax.  It's.  Just.  A.  Game.  Show." after I calmly presented a list of why I feel this show sucks but will probably be a ratings hit, which is rather depressing.
[/quote]

As the guy who said "Relax" , I think it's silly that we're criticizing a game show's challenging ability based on the first segment.

Had ABC.com done this with Millionaire, would we be saying the same thing? "These questions are stupid easy, and what's with the joke answers? This doesn't have a chance!"...

Can we just watch the first episode and THEN make comments like "why I feel this show sucks"?

And another thing : It is not possible to dumb down Deal or No Deal. Not possible. Not. Possible.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
"Show Me The Shatner"
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2006, 10:47:05 AM »
Can we just watch the first episode and THEN make comments like "why I feel this show sucks"?
Why waste your time watching an entire episode when you can glean more than enough from the clip to make a judgement? Ask a question, get an answer; that's all there is to this game. The rest is gimmickry and fluff.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 10:51:15 AM by chris319 »

Clay Zambo

"Show Me The Shatner"
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2006, 02:25:18 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'137620\' date=\'Nov 11 2006, 04:04 PM\']
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'137619\' date=\'Nov 11 2006, 03:54 PM\']
So, if Bill Shatner hosted trivia night at Hooters, this is pretty much what we'd get.
[/quote]
I'd go.

/and you would too.
[/quote]

Well, yeah, if you were buying.  ;)
czambo@mac.com

clemon79

"Show Me The Shatner"
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2006, 02:29:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'137656\' date=\'Nov 12 2006, 12:56 AM\']
(what's wrong with our education systen if we can't teach quality corriculum around here)
[/quote]
Magical.

Clay Zambo

"Show Me The Shatner"
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2006, 02:31:22 PM »
Now, all that said, I don't see what the big deal is over changing the scoring system from multiply/divide to add/subtract.  The fact of the game is, you play until you've answered six questions correctly or six questions incorrectly; if you have a positive total at the end, that's what you take home.

Passing twice per "category" does seem a bit excessive to me--and I bet it means the writers are burning through material at a ferocious pace.  (Okay, don't bet against me on this one; I know a writer, and I know it to be true.)  I wish the A/B/C choices were more than random, that there were something of a hint to the content in each one, but I also wish I had an inch-thick stack of twenties on my desk right now.

I'll watch on Tuesday.  I'll even give this the benefit of the doubt.  I won't be going to Hooters with WeatherMatt, though, 'cause he'll be at home with wife and new baby.  (Won't he?)
czambo@mac.com

clemon79

"Show Me The Shatner"
« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2006, 02:41:06 PM »
I'll try it on Tuesday. If nothing else, it might be a better show to Tivo than it would be to watch in realtime, because you can ba-dink through the unnecessary draw-outs. I bet I'll be able to knock out an episode in twenty minutes.