Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Show Me The Shatner"  (Read 30548 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
"Show Me The Shatner"
« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2006, 04:23:08 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'137736\' date=\'Nov 13 2006, 01:16 PM\']
And someone should tell LaMasney and/or Endemol that the viewers are going to notice that same voice on every episode sooner or later--this isn't NBC daytime 25 years ago, when you could get away with that "YA-HOO!" loop.
[/quote]
Let me throw something out there: I've never noticed what you're talking about.

Now, maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I would suggest, being someone that does in fact pay attention to the details of a production, that if I've never noticed this, then the average Joe has absolutely no inkling.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

"Show Me The Shatner"
« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2006, 10:37:23 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'137737\' date=\'Nov 13 2006, 04:23 PM\']
Now, maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I would suggest, being someone that does in fact pay attention to the details of a production, that if I've never noticed this, then the average Joe has absolutely no inkling.
[/quote]
Thing is, once you do hear it, it's all you ever hear.

So yeah, thanks Mark.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Neumms

"Show Me The Shatner"
« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2006, 12:43:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'137794\' date=\'Nov 13 2006, 10:37 PM\']
Thing is, once you do hear it, it's all you ever hear.

So yeah, thanks Mark.
[/quote]

Kinda like the current "Survivor" contestant who sounds like Alan Alda? Now they might as well just call him Hawkeye.

clemon79

"Show Me The Shatner"
« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2006, 01:57:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'137837\' date=\'Nov 14 2006, 09:43 AM\']
Kinda like the current "Survivor" contestant who sounds like Alan Alda? Now they might as well just call him Hawkeye.
[/quote]
I'm still waiting for the episode where Jonathan cries. That way, we'll know he directed it.

/obscure?

tpirfan28

"Show Me The Shatner"
« Reply #94 on: November 14, 2006, 02:15:49 PM »
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
"Show Me The Shatner"
« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2006, 02:47:48 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'137845\' date=\'Nov 14 2006, 11:15 AM\']
Shatner wants YOUR opinion on what makes a good GS host...
[/quote]
At the top of my list is the rule, when you're 75 years old, don't be doing the go-go boy thing.

Otherwise, what I like about Shatner is that he's being himself. He isn't affecting the persona of a pasquinian game show emcee.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 02:58:33 PM by chris319 »

cmjb13

"Show Me The Shatner"
« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2006, 03:48:26 PM »
Invalid URL?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Matt Ottinger

"Show Me The Shatner"
« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2006, 04:44:54 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'137856\' date=\'Nov 14 2006, 03:48 PM\']
Invalid URL?
[/quote]
Try this one.  There are already 2500 answers, so whether Billy sees yours is anybody's guess.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 04:46:06 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

itiparanoid13

"Show Me The Shatner"
« Reply #98 on: November 14, 2006, 04:57:47 PM »
New York Daily News just posted a review of the show and basically said the same thing many of us did.  However, he has the best line about this show that I've heard.  It's in regard to a preview given to the press.

It's more than enough to judge: When you're handed an ice cream cone loaded with lard, you don't need two scoops to render a verdict.

Casey

"Show Me The Shatner"
« Reply #99 on: November 14, 2006, 09:57:44 PM »
It occurs to me, in watching the clip on the website (and I'm hoping this doesn't stray too much into spoiler territory; if so, please tell me and I'll delete/move as necessary), but it occurs to me that the question portion is strikingly similar to Twisters.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
"Show Me The Shatner"
« Reply #100 on: November 14, 2006, 10:02:54 PM »
[quote name=\'isucgv\' post=\'137885\' date=\'Nov 14 2006, 06:57 PM\']
It occurs to me, in watching the clip on the website (and I'm hoping this doesn't stray too much into spoiler territory; if so, please tell me and I'll delete/move as necessary), but it occurs to me that the question portion is strikingly similar to Twisters.[/quote]I made the jump to Your Number's Up and Sports on Tap, personally, but any of the three would work.
Travis L. Eberle

Jay Temple

"Show Me The Shatner"
« Reply #101 on: November 15, 2006, 12:01:49 AM »
By all rights, I should like this show more than DOND, but I actually like it less. Here's why:

1. The reason I should like it more is that it's a quizzer. Unfortunately, the two contestants that I saw didn't know enough.
2. The only way to get a large figure on the board is to get the first few questions right AND pick the high-valued dancers. Unfortunately, once you do that, you're left with smaller figures for the last few questions. That means the difference between being right and being wrong is comparable to a single clue on J!. They should have stuck with multipliers. With multipliers, you could have the glitz of a high six-figure win and still end up paying a pittance (by prime-time standards).

I agree, however, that Shatner is a nice fit for a show with more style than substance.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

tvrandywest

"Show Me The Shatner"
« Reply #102 on: November 15, 2006, 01:44:46 AM »
Watching Shatner is mesmerizing. And the dancing is wonderfully stoopid. How did Paddy Chayefsky miss this format in his satirical "Network"?

Despite the consensus, I LOVE IT!
And I'm locking in with that answer!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

narzo

"Show Me The Shatner"
« Reply #103 on: November 15, 2006, 01:50:17 AM »
Mark Goodson said the rules to a good game show should be able to be described in one sentence.  I defy you to do just that with this show...

Sorry, I want to punch this show in the face.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 01:52:17 AM by narzo »

clemon79

"Show Me The Shatner"
« Reply #104 on: November 15, 2006, 02:04:01 AM »
I honestly never thought I would see a game show that would make me long for Eammon Holmes.

My God, that was friggin' awful. They pretty much managed to screw up EVERY SINGLE FACET of that show.

Shatner was so wooden that he should receive a certificate of recognition from the National Furniture Foundation. The format manages to be anticlimactic in every possible way. The contestants...well, the second guy wasn't too offensive, if an utter idiot.

That was....just bad.