Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Pet Peeves  (Read 16181 times)

uncamark

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2006, 05:45:03 PM »
[quote name=\'GSmaniac\' post=\'134299\' date=\'Oct 12 2006, 04:06 PM\']
My pet peeve is on the current FF when the family gets one, two or three strikes. The audience claps after a strike is gained.

IF THEY GET THE ANSWER WRONG, THE AUDIENCE SHOULDN'T CLAP, OKAY???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This started when Karn took over and it's been bugging me ever since.
[/quote]

That's just part of the chronic overapplause problem that's been plaguing every non-dramatic show with a studio audience.

It seems to me too often that they're just using applause to fill program time instead of trying to fill it with content.  A game show that's really guilty of that is "DOND," where there has to be applause *every single time* Howie mentions the million or a six-figure amount.

To me, the current televised champion of overapplause is that whole bit every week at the top of "Dancing With the Stars" right after the last couple comes out.  What it should be is one long shot of the group, applause and Harold Wheeler and the band playing the button on the theme--then cue Tom and Samantha and let's get going.  But instead we get that long pan shot past every single couple, the shot of the judges, the audience and almost everyone but the CBS TV City custodial crew while Harold and the band play the theme one more time--a waste of about 20 seconds of network television time.  (But I will assume that "Strictly Come Dancing" in the UK does the exact same thing every week--even with the time taken up with Brucie's "so nice to see you..." bit.)  It just seems to producers that applause is an easier way to fill time than content.

Oh--in the UK the results show is the same night as the performance show (and is only 15 minutes).  Since they keep the audience in the studio for both shows, does Brucie do the "you're much better than the early show" line for the results show?