Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Pet Peeves  (Read 16368 times)

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2006, 11:43:56 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'133675\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 11:27 AM\']
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'133673\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 08:09 AM\']I hate when players say hi to relatives while the Big Wheel's spinning.

Not so much as when they say hi, but when they feel the need to punctuate it with a TRL-style "WOO!!!".[/quote]This is quite possibly the most tolerable thing about the Showcase Showdown. If you're going to say hello to the entire neighborhood, you may as well do it when there's a bit of free time. Since two of those people will have no further involvement with the show that day, give them their fifteen seconds of fame.

I've said it before, but the most grating thing for me when watching Millionaire is the crowd reaction when someone finally says "I think I'm going to answer," which draws out a burst of applause. Applaud after a right answer, groan after a wrong answer, but the decision to play should not get anything.
[/quote]

Like I said (and I probably should have made it clearer), it's even harder for me to tolerate the "WOO" at the end.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2006, 11:47:58 AM »
No, I got it, and that sort of thing grates on me as well, but it's less irritating while the wheel is spinning. I would rather the WOOs and hollering come at a point when I'm not watching than during a pricing game.
Travis L. Eberle

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2006, 11:52:36 AM »
Exactly.

Come to think of it, you know what else I don't like?

I don't like it when a contestant who makes a point of telling Bob he/she's been watching the show for years and years and years and years...doesn't know where to stand during a pricing game or doesn't know to walk away when they lose.

I'm sure it seems like a mean pet peeve, but if you've been watching the show for any number of years, you've seen someone lose.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

cweaver

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2006, 11:57:45 AM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'133673\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 10:09 AM\']
As for the topic at hand, I'd like to revisit my complaint in a previous thread concerning "Weakest Link" and its unnecessary music stings for seemingly minor events, such as a player deciding who'll go first in the final round, the strike whenever Anne says the show's title[/quote]

Evidently this is nothing new.  I have a Colgate Comedy Hour from 1955 that includes a $64,0000 Question parody with Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis, and one of the things that gets skewered is the musical sting that keeps coming up out of nowhere.  A couple of times it even interrupts the host (Martin) in midsentence.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2006, 11:58:09 AM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'133680\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 10:52 AM\']
I don't like it when a contestant who makes a point of telling Bob he/she's been watching the show for years and years and years and years...doesn't know where to stand during a pricing game or doesn't know to walk away when they lose.
[/quote]

Not to stand up too much for them, but given that there are several locations one could conceivably stand for a pricing game--wandering a bit isn't the worst thing in the world.  Besides, once you get on stage, a lot of times logic goes straight out the window.  Take the woman who was in almost complete shock on yesterday's program, for instance.

Doug -- and the countdown to 2300 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

mrchips

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2006, 12:31:08 PM »
When an ARP reveal is so much of an afterthought that it often is omitted. "Just trust us, casual viewer--the price of the van really was between umpteen thousand something and so-many thousand something-else. But we're just so dang excited about the contestant winning three new cars OMGWTFDSWLOLBBQECM51!!!1!11!! Oh, and we need the time for ads."

Clay Zambo

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2006, 01:19:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'133677\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 11:34 AM\']
With the Fastest Finger segment no longer a part of the action, this is now what used to mildly irritate me on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire:
When being introduced by host Regis Philbin, a good portion of the people in the circle of ten would make some kind of goofball motion with their head, face or hand(s).
[/quote]

If memory serves, this was not in the least discouraged.  Not that that makes it right...
czambo@mac.com

tomobrien

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2006, 01:42:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'133698\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 12:19 PM\']
With the Fastest Finger segment no longer a part of the action, this is now what used to mildly irritate me on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire:
When being introduced by host Regis Philbin, a good portion of the people in the circle of ten would make some kind of goofball motion with their head, face or hand(s).
[/quote]
If memory serves, this was not in the least discouraged.  Not that that makes it right...
[/quote]

Actually, it was encouraged by the producers.  They wanted you to have some sort of wave or hand movements for those 3 seconds your name was being read and the camera was on you.

Casey

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2006, 02:26:58 PM »
[quote name=\'mrchips\' post=\'133689\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 11:31 AM\']
OMGWTFDSWLOLBBQECM51!!!1!11!!
[/quote]
Huh?

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2006, 02:32:47 PM »
Pet peeve:

This whole audience reaction thing has gotten out of hand. If a group of people came over to my house for a friendly game of Chain Reaction, whatever, and people in said group start emitting "WOO"s such that it splits my eardrums, I'm going to fetch my iron skillet and give you such a whack on the head that you will be capable of mustering nothing more than a complacent gaze. Likewise, I defy any of these maroons to visit L.A.'s Disney Concert Hall for, say, tonight's L.A. Phil performance of works by Stravinsky and Mozart, and start emitting eardrum-splitting "WOO"s during the performance as if it were TPIR. No jury in the world would convict the other audience members who inflict homicide on said "WOO"er. I don't know where this "WOO"ing got started but I would venture to say the Arsenio Hall show was one of the early enablers. Audience participation shows are nigh unwatchable these days with all of the audience "WOO"ing going on.

TPIR: The contestant pickers are looking for people who are extroverted and emotionally demonstrative, so no T-shirt will help if you don't meausure up in that regard. TPIR opened the floodgates wide once they started picking people wearing goofy T-shirts and Bob started recognizing them on the air. The same thing happened with LMAD, but people started dressing as carrots instead of wearing "Charlie Olson" T-shirts. If TPIR wants out of this situation they'll have to start avoiding these people altogether.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 02:34:10 PM by chris319 »

JayRockUSA

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2006, 02:35:47 PM »
[font=\"Comic Sans Ms\"]== TO ALL: ==
Jason here... check it --

PASSWORD: I hate when people repeat words for clues. COME ON, NOW... this AIN'T the 1960s!!! :(
Use different words!!!

PRESS YOUR LUCK (WHAMMY!): People cussin' out the Whammy... if you're gonna freeze, then FREEZE!!

Ladies and Gents... this is my FIRST POST HERE! YAY!! ;)
Love ya all!! Any shouts to me, let me have 'em!! SET!!

~JK~
JK @ MySpace!![/font]

gsnman

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2006, 02:53:13 PM »
DUMB ANSWERS on Family Feud!

I can ace Fast Money, no questions asked!

Don Howard

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2006, 02:59:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'133698\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 01:19 PM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]
And neither is the shouting by the players on Wheel Of Fortune. Pesky, nonetheless.

J.R.

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2006, 03:06:53 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'133680\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 10:52 AM\']
[/quote]

Or when Bob asks them, since they are such a loyal viewer, to explain the rules to their game. They respond with a blank stare and quietly say they have never seen the game and would like an explanation.

It's always the one in the "BARKER ROXXORS!" shirt that have the most difficulty understanding "Check Game", even after the explanation by Mr. Barker

Why are the rules to Check Game so tough to remember?

-Joe R.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 07:09:31 AM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

J.R.

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2006, 03:33:11 PM »
I should add that I'm not condemning all who want to wear a special shirt to TPIR. If you think wearing one will enhance your experience, then go right ahead! It's all in the name of fun and having a good time, after all.

I also have no problem with those with more subtle stuff like ones saying that it's their birthday, saying they've been watching for X amount of years (though they should prepare for the possibility for a rule explanation should they win their way up on stage), or what state they're from. Things like that.

In fact, I would like to wear a shirt with the state of Iowa with the TPIR logo in the middle on it. Nothing wrong with state pride! :-)

It's just the ones that say "BOB IS GOD!" or "I WANNA PLAY PLINKO!!!" that bug me.
-Joe Raygor