Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Pet Peeves  (Read 16419 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2006, 10:02:08 PM »
Yeah, I remember the guy with the black Dorothy Jo shirt on today. I was wondering what the rest of the shirt said.

Anyways, that shirt, whether it paid homage to her or not, was pretty damn creepy. The person who chose contestants that day should have gotten a mouthful from one of his or her superiors.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 10:02:29 PM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

pyrfan

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2006, 10:46:24 PM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'133615\' date=\'Oct 5 2006, 07:17 PM\']
There's a Marshall Hollywood Squares floating around with a verbose lawyer who can't just say he agrees and disagrees, he just launches into a discourse about the question.  Eventually we figure out why: He's having trouble understanding most of the questions and is trying to articulate them out loud.  Ironically he's a lawyer.  That irritated me, and noticeably irritated McLean Stevenson.
[/quote]
That guy annoyed me, too. I always thought, though, that the reason he deliberated so much was because he wanted to be on-camera longer. The lawyer definitely came out in him: A few times, he listed the exact circumstances under which he would agree with the celeb. I noticed that during that episode, it seemed like they went to a commercial break awfully quick. I wonder if they told him to speed it up on the answers.

Actually, as much as I love Peter Marshall, I never cared for him tipping off strategies during the game. It happened most often during the Secret Square rounds, when he told the contestants which celebs they could choose and still win the game. Or, even worse, if a contestant missed a block, he always said, "I might have gone to Karen Valentine to block." Nothing like telling the opponent exactly where they should go on their next move. And you might say, "Oh, the next move is obvious," but check the "Legends of Rock 'n' Roll" episode that's on the circuit. The male contestant misses an opportunity to block, but then his opponent misses seeing that she had a chance to win. Pete never said anything to either of them -- probably because he missed it himself.

Finally (for now, anyway), a few things got on my nerves in the various "Password" incarnations. One, whenever Allen Ludden or Tom Kennedy would say "Five seconds, Mary" or "There goes your time" or (a second time) "Pass or play?" The contestants and celebrities have been told ahead of time how much time they have to make a decision, and if they go past that, too bad. I know there have been times when the player was distracted by the reminder and the buzzer went off. I think Robert Donner actually took Tom Kennedy to task for this. And on the last years of P+, when someone gave a correct answer after the buzzer, almost without fail, Tom would say the exact words "Whatever you said, it was late" -- something he never said if it was a wrong answer. This would inevitably tip off the other team to what the answer was. (He also did this quite a number of times on "Body Language.")

Okay, I'm done. I think. But just for fun, I'll add one of Lemon's pet peeves: that Heather Davis wasn't a contestant on every game show every day in the '80s and '90s.

Brendan

Jay Temple

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2006, 12:14:19 AM »
general pet peeves: having kids as contestants and lowering the stakes (Junior Pyramid) or replacing cash with savings bonds (TJW)

pet peeves on J!:
referring to cash totals at any stage in a tournament where they don't actually win their score
tie-breaker on Kids' Week instead of declaring co-champions as in regulation play (technically, just a special case of the above)
in the 5-day era, 4-day champions who led on day 5 and played for the win instead of the tie. What, were you afraid they'd come back to beat you in the ToC?

pet peeve on Pyramid: allowing "breakfast" or "lunch" as a clue for "brunch", likewise "smoke" or "fog" for "smog". A person who says any of these has given more of the answer than someone who says "R.N." in describing a nurse.

on any communication game where a civilian is partnered with a celebrity:
1. never having a choice of who gives and who receives
2. having the lion's share of the prize money come from rounds where the celeb is the one giving the clues
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Kevin Prather

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2006, 12:39:08 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'133622\' date=\'Oct 5 2006, 06:50 PM\']
I believe this week's shirt that noted the emcee's deceased wife...
[/quote]
You cannot possibly be serious, can you? Dear God.

Craig Karlberg

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2006, 03:53:37 AM »
And what's wrong with kids being contestants?  I didn't mind that so much as long as they were well-behaved.  They have the chance to win some cool prizes of their own just like their elders(except cars if they're underage).  As for savings bonds instead of cash, they have an education future to consider so when they win, their parents will most likely put those bonds into a bank & then take that money out upon maturity.  Besides, bonds offer investment oppurtunities moreso than cash I think.

As for pet peeves, the Clock Game bit never ceases to amaze me how many times the players clain they don't know how to play it.  If someone does, that would be a miracle.

BrandonFG

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2006, 04:20:18 AM »
I don't mind the audience's premature clapping on Millionaire. I actually think it's a nice touch...in a way it helps root the contestant on, and to me, it's no worse than on Super Password, when the audience groans at an incorrect puzzle guess.

I think my biggest pet peeve is just when the audience cheers over every damn thing, and not just when Richard Karn would double the points. It's irritated me on D/ND as well, esp. when someone makes some cornball statement. I've seen it on non-games as well, and it just gets very annoying.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

J.R.

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2006, 07:34:58 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'133634\' date=\'Oct 5 2006, 11:39 PM\']
You cannot possibly be serious, can you? Dear God.
[/quote]

I'm afraid I can confirm that I also saw the contestant's shirt that listed Dorothy Jo and Johnny "Charlie" Olsen.

From what I can remember, the rest of it said something to the effect of "That's how long I've been waiting". Implying he's been trying to get on the show since the early 1980s. I got the vibe the contestant either has a rather morbidly dark sense of humor or thought he was "paying homage" to some deceased people associated with TPIR. I'm sure he meant no disrespect though. (Though, if he was going to "pay homage" to those related TPIR who have passed on, why didn't he mention Rod Roddy?)

Barker looked very uncomfortable the whole time the contestant was up on stage, almost angry that his dead wife's name was being used in such a tacky manner. The contestant did admit error in the "Charlie Olsen" part though.

-Joe R.
/If I ever go to see TPIR, I will not wear a "BOB ROOLZ"-type shirt. I am such an individual!
//Can anybody tell me when Charlie Olsen was the announcer for TPIR?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 07:49:04 AM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

BrandonFG

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2006, 07:53:50 AM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' post=\'133652\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 07:34 AM\']
[/quote]
During the 1970-71 season.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Don Howard

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2006, 08:06:10 AM »
From what I can remember, the rest of it said something to the effect of "That's how long I've been waiting". Implying he's been trying to get on the show since the early 1980s. [/quote]
Well then, he should've dug the knife in all the way and mentioned Janice, Dian, Holly and Kathleen.

tvwxman

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2006, 08:21:21 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'133634\' date=\'Oct 5 2006, 11:39 PM\']
[/quote]
/If I ever go to see TPIR, I will not wear a "BOB ROOLZ"-type shirt. I am such an individual!
[/quote]

At my first experience at TPIR this summer , I, nor my wife, wore t-shirts that called upon the temple of Bob.

As a result, neither of us were picked to be on the show. Of the 9 on our show, 8 had t-shirts on.

And that's why this show has become a sad shell of it's former self.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

BrandonFG

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2006, 10:29:33 AM »
I seriously think TPiR should consider a dress code policy, and none of these ridiculous I <3 BOB!!!1!! T-shirts. Don't make it as formal as it was in the 70s and 80s, but no less than a polo shirt and (maybe) khakis. Look like an actual game show contestant, and not like someone on their way to the carnival.

Don Howard

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2006, 10:47:32 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'133671\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 10:29 AM\']
I seriously think TPiR should consider a dress code policy, and none of these ridiculous I <3 BOB!!!1!! T-shirts. Don't make it as formal as it was in the 70s and 80s, but no less than a polo shirt and (maybe) khakis. Look like an actual game show contestant, and not like someone on their way to the carnival.
[/quote]
Bless you for thinking and saying that. My wife and I, in fact, wore such shirts and jeans, but alas, no pickie.
That was for the show presented yesterday over the CBS Television Network where Mike K., J.D., Doug The SRIV, Ian and many many others from this here group were in attendance. Speaking of handsome wardrobe, you may have noticed our man Tom Gauer. He was the one sporting a suit and tie. Tom, by the way, was a contestant on The $20,000 Pyramid.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 10:49:00 AM by Don Howard »

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2006, 11:09:43 AM »
As for the topic at hand, I'd like to revisit my complaint in a previous thread concerning "Weakest Link" and its unnecessary music stings for seemingly minor events, such as a player deciding who'll go first in the final round, the strike whenever Anne says the show's title, and the sharp symbal crashes that coincide with a player involuntarily blinking their eyes.
TPiR has annoyances in spades, however.

I hate when players say hi to relatives while the Big Wheel's spinning.

Not so much as when they say hi, but when they feel the need to punctuate it with a TRL-style "WOO!!!".

Chain Reaction contestants' dumb answers does it for me too.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2006, 11:27:37 AM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'133673\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 08:09 AM\']I hate when players say hi to relatives while the Big Wheel's spinning.

Not so much as when they say hi, but when they feel the need to punctuate it with a TRL-style "WOO!!!".[/quote]This is quite possibly the most tolerable thing about the Showcase Showdown. If you're going to say hello to the entire neighborhood, you may as well do it when there's a bit of free time. Since two of those people will have no further involvement with the show that day, give them their fifteen seconds of fame.

I've said it before, but the most grating thing for me when watching Millionaire is the crowd reaction when someone finally says "I think I'm going to answer," which draws out a burst of applause. Applaud after a right answer, groan after a wrong answer, but the decision to play should not get anything.
Travis L. Eberle

Don Howard

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2006, 11:34:42 AM »
With the Fastest Finger segment no longer a part of the action, this is now what used to mildly irritate me on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire:
When being introduced by host Regis Philbin, a good portion of the people in the circle of ten would make some kind of goofball motion with their head, face or hand(s).
But it gave me an excuse to knock back a few shooters, so it wasn't anything horrendous.
Just a matter of me thinking, "You're acting like a fool".
Contestants who act like characters don't do much for me, either. Be yourselves, for gosh sakes.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 01:27:39 PM by Don Howard »