Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Pet Peeves  (Read 16370 times)

chad1m

Game Show Pet Peeves
« on: October 05, 2006, 02:45:47 PM »
I was watching an episode of syndie Millionaire today when the audience started clapping after the contestant gave their final answer (and Meredith hadn't confirmed its correctness) and I realized how much that bugged me. So, I wanted to ask you guys: Past or present, what has bothered you the most on any game show (or the genre as a whole)?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 03:15:14 PM by chad1m »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 02:58:03 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'133569\' date=\'Oct 5 2006, 11:45 AM\']
I was watching an episode of syndie Millionaire today when the audience started clapping after the contestant gave their final answer (and Meredith hadn't confirmed its correctness) and I realized how much that bugged me.
[/quote]
Why does that bug you? If they know it's right, they know it's right.
So, I wanted to ask you guys: Past or present, what has bugged you the most on any game show (or the genre as a whole)?
People who whine about little things like people applauding an obviously correct answer a little early.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chad1m

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 03:10:56 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'133570\' date=\'Oct 5 2006, 02:58 PM\']Why does that bug you? If they know it's right, they know it's right.[/quote]

But that's just my biggest reason for not liking it. It wouldn't be so bad if they just did it for the bottom tier, but there have been numerous times (not any this season, but in years past) where they have started to clap and the answer was wrong. Sometimes it takes away the dramatic effect, too. I just think they should hold the applause until it has been ruled correct or incorrect.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 03:14:59 PM by chad1m »

clemon79

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 03:17:36 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'133571\' date=\'Oct 5 2006, 12:10 PM\']
I just think they should hold the applause until it has been ruled correct or incorrect.
[/quote]
"Do NOT clap until ve tell you to! SCHNELL!"

Nope, don't get it. Respect your right to an opinion, but I don't get it.

davewalls

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 03:19:13 PM »
It doesn't bug me, personally, but at the last Millionaire taping I went to in '05, A woman in the front row insisted on clapping as soon as the contestant said "final answer". During the first commercial break, someone from the staff whispered something to her, and she knocked it off.

From a production standpoint, I can see it ruining the tension that comes with the "final answer". No suspense in  what Meredith/Regis is gonna say, because someone in the audience knows it's right.

Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 03:20:04 PM by davewalls »
Dave Walls

http://www.davewalls.net

(insert witty comment about self here)

clemon79

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 03:22:56 PM »
I guess, upon further review, I can see it, a little bit, especially if it's ONLY ONE person doing it. Because that person is doing it because they want to say "see, rest of the audience, I know it's a right answer, I'm so smart." So I could see being pissed off at that.

DrBear

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 04:05:23 PM »
That happened a lot as well during the World Series of Pop Culture - an answer and reaction from the audience. Which, I think, adds to the drama. It's like an election in Florida - you have the early results but they may have no relation to the final total.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Clay Zambo

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 04:16:59 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'133584\' date=\'Oct 5 2006, 04:05 PM\']
That happened a lot as well during the World Series of Pop Culture - an answer and reaction from the audience. Which, I think, adds to the drama. [/quote]

What's interesting about that is that the audience were coached not to respond, except at the end of a round.

Needless to say, we ignored that instruction.
czambo@mac.com

Jeremy Nelson

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 05:06:41 PM »
My biggest pet peeve are people who forget the zero rule where it applies on TPiR.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

aaron sica

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 05:22:13 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'133599\' date=\'Oct 5 2006, 05:06 PM\']
My biggest pet peeve are people who forget the zero rule where it applies on TPiR.
[/quote]

That, too...That and totally botching "Hit Me".

J.R.

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 05:37:38 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'133599\' date=\'Oct 5 2006, 04:06 PM\']
[/quote]

To be fair to those people: I can imagine it's really easy to lose your judgement and critical thinking when you're up on stage surrounded by lights, camera, nerves, Bob Barker, a loud audience, the millions watching at home, real cash & prizes on the line and the pressure to win. All of which are thrust upon you in a matter of a few minutes.

-Joe R.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 05:42:12 PM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 05:44:23 PM »
That argument holds more water when contestants forget bits of trivia in a fast paced speed round. Or blank on a "Match Game" question. Or decide to buy a vowel after they've spun the wheel. Suggesting the price of a Neon is $36,401 after taking a good minute to look into the audience is just plain dumb.

-Jason
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 05:44:45 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

tpirfan28

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 07:09:43 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'133602\' date=\'Oct 5 2006, 05:22 PM\']
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'133599\' date=\'Oct 5 2006, 05:06 PM\']
[/quote]

That, too...That and totally botching "Hit Me".
[/quote]

That about "Hit Me"...every time this really "grinds my gears"*.  I mean, Barker sometimes even says "Find the product with the price times 10".  That SCREAMS 10...unless they use x5, which I don't think has ever happened.  Then, he would say "Pick the product with the right price."  Now granted, nowadays, some of the products are tough to nail on the head (see a lot of the x2 prices), but it's not really that hard.

*reference to the Family Guy movie...
/"I've always wanted to get back on TV since I stopped hosting "Family Feud"!
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

cweaver

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2006, 08:17:10 PM »
I have a fairly low threshhold of irritability so I can't say there are too many things that irritate me that much.  Some of the really dumb answers and mistakes on the new Chain Reaction did it, though, as does the embarrassing misspellings and grammatical errors on That's the Question.  

There's a Marshall Hollywood Squares floating around with a verbose lawyer who can't just say he agrees and disagrees, he just launches into a discourse about the question.  Eventually we figure out why: He's having trouble understanding most of the questions and is trying to articulate them out loud.  Ironically he's a lawyer.  That irritated me, and noticeably irritated McLean Stevenson.

Neumms

Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2006, 09:50:31 PM »
On TPIR, it annoys me that the number of audience members and contestants wearing badly produced Bob Barker t-shirts now outnumbers those in anything else. I believe this week's shirt that noted the emcee's deceased wife and one of the program's deceased announcers--one "Charlie Olson"--is the coup de grace. Even Bob looked uncomfortable. Who, pray tell, picked the guy?

Regardless, it's time they quit calling on these people. Put it on the tickets that people in pandering, ill-fitting t-shirts are ineligible to play.

That, and if they're playing Clock Game that day, quiz them in line beforehand.