Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Outlook: That's The Question  (Read 24810 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Outlook: That's The Question
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2006, 02:28:25 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'137232\' date=\'Nov 7 2006, 11:24 AM\']
My original accusation against the irrelevancy towards this "6 Degrees of Steve Beverly" stands.
[/quote]
Now that I've seen the quote in question, yes, he quite overrepresents Segan's celebrity. (And misspells his first name; you'd think Captain Journalism would check his facts.)

(That said, I do think he might have done an on-air tech segment or two on World News Now.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2006, 03:49:22 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'137221\' date=\'Nov 7 2006, 12:57 PM\']
Either that, or she goes against his family values, so he declined to mention her.  :)
[/quote]
With her being in American Pie movie(s) and her (botched) breast implants, I'm willing to believe that as well...even though she IS much more known than Sasha.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2006, 05:36:33 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'137233\' date=\'Nov 7 2006, 02:28 PM\']Now that I've seen the quote in question, yes, he quite overrepresents Segan's celebrity. [/quote]
Always the Beverly apologist, I'm not sure I agree with that.  The line was, "Child's Play made a brief celebrity out of frequent kid respondent Sasha Segan, who surfaced several years ago with ABC News."  I take that to mean that Sagan was the one "breakout" kid from the show itself, a sentiment I would agree with.  And yes, he "surfaced" later with ABC News.  I remember people making all sorts of fuss on Usenet about having "found" this one-time child notable.  

I doubt Steve-o has a clue that Reid was once a Child's Play kid.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2006, 06:01:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'137246\' date=\'Nov 7 2006, 02:36 PM\']
I remember people making all sorts of fuss on Usenet about having "found" this one-time child notable.  
[/quote]
Did they? Okay, fair enough. To me, saying that without qualifying that it was a cup-of-coffee visit to ABC at 3:00 in the morning makes it sound bigger than it is.

But he still screwed the spelling on Sascha's name. Which wasn't exactly a difficult thing to verify, and kinda funny, considering the Perfesser's hard-on for full names on game shows. :)

(In his brief defense, a Google search on both strings provides more hits on the wrong spelling; as it happens, one of Carl's kids is named "Sasha". But he's supposed to be the World's Foremost Authority, right?)
I doubt Steve-o has a clue that Reid was once a Child's Play kid.
There, fixed that for you. :)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 06:05:19 PM by clemon79 »

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2006, 06:32:46 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'137220\' date=\'Nov 7 2006, 12:47 PM\']Not to veer this off-topic, but....[/quote]

....yeah.

Trying to get back on-topic, for all the issues about Q's and A's we have, we can be cautiously optimistic if this gets picked up for another run, because GSN originals almost always tend to have some sort of change in them between seasons.  Granted, it's normally has nothing to do with the Q's and A's, but we can hope, can't we?

/Same argument can be applied to Chain Reaction.
This signature is currently under construction.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2006, 10:16:00 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'137247\' date=\'Nov 7 2006, 06:01 PM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'137246\' date=\'Nov 7 2006, 02:36 PM\']
I remember people making all sorts of fuss on Usenet about having "found" this one-time child notable.  
[/quote]
Did they? Okay, fair enough. To me, saying that without qualifying that it was a cup-of-coffee visit to ABC at 3:00 in the morning makes it sound bigger than it is.[/quote]
Actually, I found this amusing.  You called him a celebrity yourself!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 10:17:12 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

cweaver

« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2006, 10:29:31 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'137177\' date=\'Nov 6 2006, 09:08 PM\']
 I just don't agree. Factual errors trump misspellings every day of the week.[/quote]

I don't think it's that universal, I think it really depends on the show.  On Jeopardy! I can see how a misspelling, however embarrassing, wouldn't be as bad as a screwed up or misleading "fact." (Or on College Bowl or the radio College Quiz Bowl; I recently heard a radio version in which Allen Ludden asked "What is the final book of the New Testament?" and counted "Revelations" as wrong.  The following week--I have this show too--he had to issue a rather embarrassing mea culpa and mentioned a heavy listener response.  Of course spelling is meaningless on radio.)

But on Wheel of Fortune or Lingo a really bad TtQ-type misspelling would be a disaster.  That's the Question is unusual in that it involves getting letters correct and questions of knowledge.  Both are equally bad but the misspelling or grammatical error would be a lot more embarrassing I would think.

Edit: embarrassingly I screwed up the College Quiz Bowl quote myself and have changed "Old" to "New."
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 02:57:09 AM by cweaver »

clemon79

« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2006, 10:54:38 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'137305\' date=\'Nov 8 2006, 07:16 AM\']
Actually, I found this amusing.  You called him a celebrity yourself!
[/quote]
Well, yes, but note that I qualified that by calling him a "GS celebrity". Which I think he is. There are lots of people in our little hobby who are well-known for various reasons among us who the general public wouldn't say boo to. Hell, I'd consider Jack Campion to be a GS celebrity.

All I was saying was that the Perfesser's omission of information (and let me make it clear that I'm not losing any sleep over this; I'm just sayin') made it look like Sascha's role at ABC News might have been bigger than it was. I don't think this was malicious...hell, I doubt the Perfesser thought about it much. But that's the vibe I got. Kinda like me saying "Yeah, I worked with Fox and CBS", when in fact my only contact with them was setting up a network live shot or listening in on the conference call in Master Control during a sports broadcast.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2006, 04:52:23 PM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'137307\' date=\'Nov 8 2006, 10:29 AM\'](Or on College Bowl or the radio College Quiz Bowl; I recently heard a radio version in which Allen Ludden asked "What is the final book of the Old Testament?" and counted "Revelations" as wrong.  The following week--I have this show too--he had to issue a rather embarrassing mea culpa and mentioned a heavy listener response.  Of course spelling is meaningless on radio.)[/quote]
I'm guessing you mistyped something there, as Revelation(s) is the final book of the New Testament.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2006, 08:20:40 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' post=\'137211\' date=\'Nov 7 2006, 09:02 AM\']
According to Steve Beverly the show is being replaced 'H2' next week.
[/quote]

To be or not to be, That's the Question.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

sshuffield70

« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2006, 09:57:52 PM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'137307\' date=\'Nov 8 2006, 10:29 AM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'137177\' date=\'Nov 6 2006, 09:08 PM\']
 I just don't agree. Factual errors trump misspellings every day of the week.[/quote]

I don't think it's that universal, I think it really depends on the show.  On Jeopardy! I can see how a misspelling, however embarrassing, wouldn't be as bad as a screwed up or misleading "fact." (Or on College Bowl or the radio College Quiz Bowl; I recently heard a radio version in which Allen Ludden asked "What is the final book of the Old Testament?" and counted "Revelations" as wrong.  The following week--I have this show too--he had to issue a rather embarrassing mea culpa and mentioned a heavy listener response.  Of course spelling is meaningless on radio.) [/quote]

The answer to the question, as you wrote it, is Malachi.  Revelation is the last book of the New Testament.

cweaver

« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2006, 02:54:41 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'137322\' date=\'Nov 8 2006, 05:52 PM\']
I'm guessing you mistyped something there, as Revelation(s) is the final book of the New Testament.
[/quote]

Wow, I guess it's spreading.

tvmitch

« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2006, 06:04:38 PM »
FWIW, the question is, why is TTQ off the GSN schedule as of this week? Am I missing something?
You should follow me on Twitter

rialtus

« Reply #103 on: November 29, 2006, 06:21:33 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'139127\' date=\'Nov 29 2006, 06:04 PM\']FWIW, the question is, why is TTQ off the GSN schedule as of this week? Am I missing something?[/quote]Well, if they are showing something better in it's time slot, I wouldn't say you would be missing something, no.  :)

Allstar87

« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2006, 06:57:07 PM »
H2 has taken over TTQ's timeslot. No idea if it's coming back, but if it does, I hope it get some competent writers.