Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Outlook: That's The Question  (Read 24865 times)

dzinkin

Outlook: That's The Question
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2006, 08:30:41 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'137177\' date=\'Nov 6 2006, 08:08 PM\']
You're making a lot of assumptions about the software with which they use to assemble these questions. Like, that it has a spell checker, that's it's turned on if it is, and that it underlines misspelled words.
[/quote]
Maybe they should use Stacey Hayes.  After all, that would make spell-checking go faster.

aaron sica

« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2006, 08:38:17 PM »
Thanks for recalling THAT thread, David. I almost wish he was not banned if for nothing but pure entertainment value.

I side with Chris on this....Factual errors definitely are a bigger deal than misspellings.

Allstar87

« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2006, 09:07:07 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'137168\' date=\'Nov 6 2006, 06:49 PM\']
you have to be a major computer geek to recognize that that question is 100% factually incorrect, just like the Donkey Kong / Mario Brothers question was.[/quote]

What was that question? Don't remember seeing it.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2006, 10:12:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Allstar87\' post=\'137184\' date=\'Nov 6 2006, 06:07 PM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'137168\' date=\'Nov 6 2006, 06:49 PM\']
you have to be a major computer geek to recognize that that question is 100% factually incorrect, just like the Donkey Kong / Mario Brothers question was.[/quote]

What was that question? Don't remember seeing it.
[/quote]
I don't remember the exact wording, but the gist of it was "In which video game did the Mario Brothers make their debut?" with an answer of DONKEY KONG. Which, if you're any kind of student of video game history at all, is not only wrong, but two years and three games off.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Allstar87

« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2006, 11:33:14 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'137191\' date=\'Nov 6 2006, 10:12 PM\']
I don't remember the exact wording, but the gist of it was "In which video game did the Mario Brothers make their debut?" with an answer of DONKEY KONG. Which, if you're any kind of student of video game history at all, is not only wrong, but two years and three games off.
[/quote]

I do know my video game history, so seeing an error like that...

...boy, this show needs help.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2006, 01:35:45 AM »

While still technically incorrect, the show's offense with this question isn't that horrendous; they just included one brother too many in the question.
Mario did make his debut in Donkey Kong in 1981, but Luigi wasn't there. Luigi came along in 1983 in Mario Brothers.

--Jamie
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 01:40:56 AM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

clemon79

« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2006, 01:42:07 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'137206\' date=\'Nov 6 2006, 10:35 PM\']
While still technically incorrect, the show's offense isn't that horrendous.
They're only one brother off; Mario did make his debut in Donkey Kong in 1981, but Luigi wasn't there. Luigi came along in 1983 in Mario Brothers.
[/quote]
Yes, thank you, that was the whole "two years and three games later" thing I was talking about.

You don't think that's a critical factual error? In a game that uses the answer to the question as a HINT to the puzzle?

Seems to me, if you were writing a show like this, you would at least have ONE researcher on staff to vet the questions.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 01:50:03 AM by clemon79 »

The Pyramids

« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2006, 09:02:41 AM »
According to Steve Beverly the show is being replaced 'H2' next week.

aaron sica

« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2006, 10:06:22 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'137206\' date=\'Nov 7 2006, 01:35 AM\']
While still technically incorrect, the show's offense with this question isn't that horrendous; they just included one brother too many in the question.
Mario did make his debut in Donkey Kong in 1981, but Luigi wasn't there. Luigi came along in 1983 in Mario Brothers.

--Jamie
[/quote]

But then you have the beginning of "Donkey Kong Jr." in which Mario and someone else, who looks like Mario (but also dressed in red, not the usual Luigi green) were lifting Donkey Kong up in his cage. :) Who was that other guy? :) Some have said that was Luigi, but I, too, consider Luigi to have made his official appearance in "Mario Bros."

(And if you want to get REALLY technical, Mario's name in the original Donkey Kong was "Jumpman".)

mmb5

« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2006, 12:47:44 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' post=\'137211\' date=\'Nov 7 2006, 09:02 AM\']
[/quote]
Not to veer this off-topic, but in checking our most beloved site he mentions Sasha Segan as being a famous person from Child's Play.  Apparently Mr. Beverly has not heard of Tara Reid.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

aaron sica

« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2006, 12:57:13 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'137220\' date=\'Nov 7 2006, 12:47 PM\']
Not to veer this off-topic, but in checking our most beloved site he mentions Sasha Segan as being a famous person from Child's Play.  Apparently Mr. Beverly has not heard of Tara Reid.

--Mike
[/quote]

Either that, or she goes against his family values, so he declined to mention her.  :)

tvwxman

« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2006, 01:07:44 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'137220\' date=\'Nov 7 2006, 12:47 PM\']
[quote name=\'PaulD\' post=\'137211\' date=\'Nov 7 2006, 09:02 AM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]
As a guy in the news biz, who follows the news biz very closely, I've never heard of Sasha Segan. A quick google search does not report her an ABC news veteran.

I'm wondering if Sasha is a friend, or a grad of Steve's University, and did some time as a production assoc, nothing more.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2006, 01:17:32 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'137222\' date=\'Nov 7 2006, 10:07 AM\']
As a guy in the news biz, who follows the news biz very closely, I've never heard of Sasha Segan. A quick google search does not report her an ABC news veteran.
[/quote]
Apparently you didn't follow Child's Play very closely, either, or else you'd know Sascha Segan was a guy. ;)

Sascha certainly doesn't enjoy fame in the sense that, say, Paris Hilton enjoys fame, but before the ABC gig he was known among followers of computer journalism as a reasonably successful writer.

So his name was out there, but really the only people who really would have noticed it would have been folks who knew his name from the show.

aaron sica

« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2006, 01:17:47 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'137222\' date=\'Nov 7 2006, 01:07 PM\']

I'm wondering if Sasha is a friend, or a grad of Steve's University, and did some time as a production assoc, nothing more.
[/quote]

Actually, Sascha Segan is a *he*. :) Do a google search with his correct spelling and a lot more results will yield. :) He's a freelance journalist.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch by Mr. Lemon by just the slightest of margins. :)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 01:18:37 PM by aaron sica »

tvwxman

« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2006, 02:24:18 PM »
I'll take "Gender benders" for $30, Art.

Whoops.

However, a glance at HIS resume shows that HE was a producer for ABCNews.COM for 2 years, and not a permanent (or even freelance) on-air correspondent. My original accusation against the irrelevancy towards this "6 Degrees of Steve Beverly" stands.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"