Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Outlook: That's The Question  (Read 24805 times)

mcsittel

Outlook: That's The Question
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2006, 06:54:11 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'133417\' date=\'Oct 4 2006, 11:04 AM\']
Am I the only one who thinks that the set bears a bit of a resemblance to (the original) Chain Reaction?
[/quote]
Hey Aaron, I agree with you!  I was waiting for Brian Patrick Clarke and Anita Gillette to walk out!

One comment on the Wednesday airing, well two actually:

I saw at least two misspellings: the element HYDROGYN and Paul BUNYON.  I hadn't noticed any other mistakes before, but the fact that such things could affect the outcome of the game bothered me.

All in all I really like the show-I hope it succeeds.  I noticed within a few seconds of turning it on today my wife was shouting out the answers-rare for her to get involved in a show.  My son was watching Clifford the Big Red Dog though... we'll try to convert him another day, but the fact that T'TQ airs against Clifford will be a tough sell!  :)

Matt

cweaver

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2006, 06:57:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'133380\' date=\'Oct 4 2006, 12:08 AM\']
(Not one result for even just "America's mouthwash" on Google? Whaddaya know.)
[/quote]

"Your search turned up no documents."  

And personally I always thought of Scope as "America's mouthwash," but that's just me.

aaron sica

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2006, 07:11:03 PM »
[quote name=\'mcsittel\' post=\'133492\' date=\'Oct 4 2006, 06:54 PM\']
I saw at least two misspellings: the element HYDROGYN and Paul BUNYON.  I hadn't noticed any other mistakes before, but the fact that such things could affect the outcome of the game bothered me.
[/quote]

I'm at work right now, so I didn't see the show, but I guarantee you I'd be just as upset - I can't believe those two made air.

Oh, wait, it's a GSN show - never mind, I can. :)

WhammyPower

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2006, 08:22:20 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'133496\' date=\'Oct 4 2006, 06:11 PM\'] [quote name=\'mcsittel\' post=\'133492\' date=\'Oct 4 2006, 06:54 PM\']
[/quote]

I'm at work right now, so I didn't see the show, but I guarantee you I'd be just as upset - I can't believe those two made air.

[/quote]
That's even worse than SWEEDEN and CZECK REPUBLIC...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 08:22:47 PM by WhammyPower »

cweaver

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2006, 10:32:54 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'133496\' date=\'Oct 4 2006, 06:11 PM\']

[/quote]

(Cringing as I say this) Make that three...during one of the intros (fortunately not affecting gameplay) they also misspelled "documentaries."

Ouch.  Three misspellings in a national game show that's supposed to be a word game.

GPeefalt

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2006, 10:59:00 PM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'133509\' date=\'Oct 4 2006, 09:32 PM\']
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'133496\' date=\'Oct 4 2006, 06:11 PM\']

[/quote]

(Cringing as I say this) Make that three...during one of the intros (fortunately not affecting gameplay) they also misspelled "documentaries."

Ouch.  Three misspellings in a national game show that's supposed to be a word game.
[/quote]

"What game show's writing staff needs to hire a spell checker?"

"That's The Question"

(female)"That's the Question"

itiparanoid13

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2006, 11:58:53 PM »
I'm starting to wonder if they just used the entire Dutch staff, and that's the major cause for the spelling errors.  I'm not justifying it and saying that "Oh well, that's the way it goes", because for a word game it is unacceptable, but I'm just wondering.

Jay Temple

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2006, 12:49:02 AM »
My suspicion is the opposite: A Dutch staffer who learned English as a second language would probably spell things better than a native speaker.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

aaron sica

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2006, 11:23:35 AM »
Those darn Dutch. {Nigel Powers} If there's two things I can't stand, it's people who are intolerant of other people's cultures.........and the Dutch. {/Nigel Powers} Hopefully this show does good enough to produce more episodes in the US.

Either that, or Iris Mason is over there working for them. ;)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 11:24:53 AM by aaron sica »

uncamark

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2006, 04:31:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'133523\' date=\'Oct 4 2006, 11:49 PM\']
My suspicion is the opposite: A Dutch staffer who learned English as a second language would probably spell things better than a native speaker.
[/quote]

Same here--and most Dutch are pretty fluent in English, IIRC.  The fact that U.S. and British programming airs undubbed (with subtitles) and BBC1 and 2 are piped into their cable would seem to indicate that they are comfortable with the English language.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2006, 04:57:14 PM »
Yes, but are they comfortable with the AMERICAN English language?  I think that's the real question (to coin a phrase).  Just like how there's various differences between the Spanish dialects, there's various difference between Englishes.
This signature is currently under construction.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2006, 06:10:56 PM »
Man!  They've just done it again.

"WHO'S BACK UP BAND..."

Oy.
czambo@mac.com

Jay Temple

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2006, 12:37:06 AM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'133608\' date=\'Oct 5 2006, 05:10 PM\']
Man!  They've just done it again.

"WHO'S BACK UP BAND..."[/quote]
(bangs head on desk)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2006, 12:44:36 AM »
Although half of America would probably make the same mistake, that's no excuse.

Perhaps the staff is more worried about making insanely long answers to the mini-questions.
This signature is currently under construction.

tvwxman

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2006, 08:28:18 AM »
These typos are embarrassing. If this were a game taped in the States, every losing contestant would have a legitimate claim to return to play again.

This is a show that requires you to unscramble words to answer questions. If the scrambled words are spelled wrong, you are hindering the players ability to score.

Plain and simple : that's not right.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"