Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Outlook: That's The Question  (Read 24884 times)

goongas

Outlook: That's The Question
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2006, 12:52:45 PM »
I liked the premiere a lot.  I think Bob Goen was a great choice to host.  I like the format of the game, except I would rather see the contestants have to buzz in order to answer a question instead of only having the player in control able to answer.  The basic game format to me seems like a nice fusion of Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune.  The questions had a good mix of difficulty.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2006, 01:25:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'133265\' date=\'Oct 3 2006, 02:48 AM\']
Other than wasted effort on the part of the article writers, I still don't see the actual problem with that. Do the links to minutiae compel you to click them?
[/quote]
There really isn't a problem, and you're totally right. I think my frustration stems from the vibe I'm getting that the motive is not to preserve this for any kind of historical record (because, c'mon), but to get Yet Another Wiki Credit under his belt. And I suppose there's nothing inherently wrong with that, either, it just rubs me the wrong way.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2006, 02:10:26 PM »
That makes sense, Chris. I was rolling my eyes a bit just at the idea, I admit.

I don't want to give the impression that I love Wikipedia to death, but the level of detail you can often find there is actually a plus, to me. I never understood (especially back in the "old days") people wandering around the Web by following links willy-nilly, having no idea where they ended up--but doing that just inside Wikipedia, I often find it engrossing. "Hey, when was that song released? Hey, that guy helped make it--have I heard of him? Oh, yeah, he died last year? He appeared on that show--what sort of show was that?" Etc.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2006, 03:05:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'133305\' date=\'Oct 3 2006, 11:10 AM\']
I don't want to give the impression that I love Wikipedia to death, but the level of detail you can often find there is actually a plus, to me. I never understood (especially back in the "old days") people wandering around the Web by following links willy-nilly, having no idea where they ended up--but doing that just inside Wikipedia, I often find it engrossing.
[/quote]
I agree, and I admit I search on tangential topics sometimes to see what's in there. But something else occurred to me...not ONLY is the vibe that he's trying to get another Wiki credit under his belt, but he's asking to yoink someone else's text to DO it, which means he's not even interested in doing it with his own work.

So, yeah. Breaking any rules? Of course not. Reprehensible and morally without redemption? Oh, no. But eye-rolling and questionable? Yeah.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

weaklink75

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2006, 05:37:14 PM »
I liked it...I do agree that the 2nd round needs to be head-to-head or something to that effect, but the concept is pretty well done, as well as the range and difficulty of the material. Goen does a good job hosting, and I personally liked it at the beginning, when they're interviewing the players, that they have facts about them pop in on the gameboard. It's a solid B from me...tweak that 2nd round and this show could be GSN's next Lingo....

cweaver

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2006, 07:46:04 PM »
Play along spoiler:

Round 2 tonight: "What company makes America's mouthwash?  Listerine." "That's the question."

Actually here's the question: huh?

That oddly-worded puzzle is my only complaint with the show so far.  Otherwise I like it and hope it does, indeed, become the next Lingo.

aaron sica

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2006, 08:16:53 PM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'133339\' date=\'Oct 3 2006, 07:46 PM\']
That oddly-worded puzzle is my only complaint with the show so far.  Otherwise I like it and hope it does, indeed, become the next Lingo.
[/quote]

Yeah, I looked at that funny too. I watched the show for the first time tonight and enjoyed it. My only beef is that they should apply the "get the word, you keep control" for round 1 as well, not just round 2. The show is a perfect complement to Lingo and would be nice if it were paired with Lingo in an hour slot on GSN's schedule sometime.

I missed seeing Bob Goen do game shows; I enjoyed him on his previous shows.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2006, 10:04:10 PM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'133339\' date=\'Oct 3 2006, 07:46 PM\']Round 2 tonight: "What company makes America's mouthwash?  Listerine." "That's the question."

Actually here's the question: huh?[/quote]

I have to think that that should read "What company makes 'America's Mouthwash'?"

cweaver

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2006, 10:40:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'133348\' date=\'Oct 3 2006, 09:04 PM\']
I have to think that that should read "What company makes 'America's Mouthwash'?"
[/quote]

Is "America's Mouthwash" actually a slogan or something?  If it is, I (and Google) must have missed it.  

The other problem I had is that Listerine isn't a company, it's a brand.  Pfizer is the company that makes it.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2006, 12:24:40 AM »
I hope Americans are writing these questions...

...the more intelligent Americans....

I really should remember to watch this.
This signature is currently under construction.

Neumms

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2006, 01:06:31 AM »
I hate to be a naysayer, but doesn't anybody else find this show ridiculously boring? Is there any excitement at all when they guess the puzzle, er, question? The set and Bob are all right, I guess, but the game wasn't original or involving.

But maybe that's just me.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2006, 01:08:36 AM »
I should clarify--I meant that that was the only reading that could even theoretically make sense, not that it actually makes sense.

(Not one result for even just "America's mouthwash" on Google? Whaddaya know.)

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2006, 03:27:18 AM »
This show appears to take on a rather mediocre form here.  The only good parts are the set & Bob Goen.  Gameplay is somewhat boring to look at even though it incorporates the play-along factor nicely.  I wonder how the players can actually see the board ir it'a "on the floor" so to speak.Even though there was a face-off at the end of round 2 on the 2nd episode, there should've been more of that for the mini-questions.  Also, control shouldn't alternate between players in round 1 though I understand they want each player to learn how to play the game & get a feel for it.

The bonus round does have its drawbacks mainly with the 1 second/point set-up that gives good players times of at least 2 minutes.  However, in the 2nd episode where only 86 seconds was needed, the player kept missing mini-questions therefore making it harder to win the $5K that way.  It's a mixed bag there,

Overall, I'll give TtQ a 6.  After this week, I'll check it out periodically.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2006, 09:18:27 AM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'133339\' date=\'Oct 3 2006, 07:46 PM\']
Round 2 tonight: "What company makes America's mouthwash?  Listerine." "That's the question."
[/quote]
Reminds me of some of the questions Mr. Ottinger has documented from the original High Rollers home game.

aaron sica

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2006, 12:04:00 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks that the set bears a bit of a resemblance to (the original) Chain Reaction?